Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What Grade Gas Do You Use? (Read 319 times)
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Re: What Grade Gas Do You Use?
Reply #15 - 06/17/08 at 07:35:08

Q: Do CITGO products contain ethanol or methanol?
A: CITGO does not use methanol in its gasoline. CITGO gasoline may contain ethanol, but primarily only in select areas where it's the oxygenate of choice to meet federal regulations for reformulated gasoline. Regulations require that if a gasoline contains ethanol, that fact must be posted clearly on the retail dispenser. If you don't see this or a similar posting, the gasoline shouldn't contain ethanol.

i got this from the citgo website...  don't know if it helps.  

hd

IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #16 - 06/17/08 at 07:57:37

Mistererman, what brand of carb cleaner do you use?  One of the posts mentioned about using a carb cleaner that is compatible with rubber.

Thanks.
hd

IP Logged
mistereman1
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Texas
Reply #17 - 06/17/08 at 08:35:29

Walmart SuperTech Carb/Injector cleaner is all I can remember using in my vehicles for years.  I haven't noticed any problems with it eating up the rubber either.  I replaced the hoses when I had the tank off for repainting last year and the old ones looked OK (I think they were original and over 20 years old!).  Replaced all of them anyway though.

1986 Savage
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #18 - 06/17/08 at 10:49:46

I started with 93 octane for the first 1500 miles or so and got 56-57 mpg.  The only backfires were on shutdown and it was typically little "pooft".

I switched to 87 octane and the mileage stayed the same.  I can now make it backfire at will simply by letting the thottle snap closed and pulling in the clutch.

This on a stock '06.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #19 - 06/17/08 at 13:40:23

My 07 calls for 87, so that's what I run in it...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #20 - 06/17/08 at 14:10:24

Keeping in line with the "gasoline" topic, I'd liekto ask:

What kind of gasoline / gasohol am I likely to find in CA / NV / UT / AZ these next few weeks ? Prices ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Todd Perry
YaBB Newbies

Straighten up and
fly right....

Orlando, FL
Reply #21 - 06/17/08 at 17:19:36

Rockin_John wrote on 06/16/08 at 23:23:13:
seanbo wrote on 06/16/08 at 22:27:58:
I know I'm new to the savage, but I have noticed a skicker on my bike on the frame, on the right side of the forks yoke, and it has all kinds of info and on it it says  fuel : unleaded gas 91 min.

Just went and looked at all mine, and the requirements on the 87 is for: :Low lead or unleaded gasoline. Both of the 99s have the recommendation for a minimum of 91 octane calculated via RON. At a total cost of about 20˘ - 30˘ per fill, I've been running 93 octane most of the time in all of my bikes. However, I have to say that when I have filled up with 87 or 89 I've not noticed a difference in performance or any engine noise.

The way I understand it, we're talking apples and oranges here. Or to be more precise, miles and kilometers  Wink

RON is a way of measuring octane and most(?) European and Japanese motor manufacturers use it in their technical specs. However, it's not the method used at most American pumps - if you look at the little yellow sticker on the side, you'll see that it's measured as "(R+M)/2".

In that formula, R = RON (which actually means Research Octane Number), and M=MON, which means Motor Octane Number. Both are measures of the performance of a fuel - MON typically refers to performance under a higher severity load than RON (like racing or aviation applications), so for a given fuel, MON is typically a lower number than RON. Anyway, the reason this is important is that the "pump octane" is an average of the two numbers. So, if you have a fuel with say a MON of 83 and a RON of 91....

(91+83)/ 2.... dang, I have to take my socks and shoes off for that one.

So what this means is that if Suzuki says "91 or higher RON".... the 87 gas at an American pump may already meet that spec.

For further info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Y'all have fun with the cheap gas, now! (Just broke $4/gallon here at the cheap places today.  Urg!)

Regards -

Todd Perry

Which way to the BBQ joint?
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #22 - 06/17/08 at 17:43:21

Anything over 87 is a waist Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 06/18/08 at 00:21:52

You think I'm gonna hang around & ask the guy after I syphoned his gas?

"Hey, Buddy, what kinda gas ya put in this pickup?"

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #24 - 06/18/08 at 07:51:33

Yesterday, I spent about 1/2 hour searching for ethanol free gas in my area of New Jersey. I hit a Getty first and saw the 10% ethanol sticker. Directly across the street was a Citgo, same thing. Up the road: 2 more Citgo's with 10% ethanol, a Shell, BP, 2 Gulf stations, all with the 10% ethanol notice on their pumps. Hit an Exxon station, and didn't see the 10% sticker. I asked the guy running the place if they're using ethanol and he said no. Don't know if I believe him or not.

Right now gas stations have to put the sticker on the pumps letting the consumer know that the gas contains ethanol. The oil companies are fighting to have the notices removed. There's also a class action lawsuit going on right now with boaters against the oil companies regarding ethanol. Story on consumer affairs website here: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/04/ethanol_class.html.

Another thing that I've noticed here is that it's difficult to find 91 octane gas. It's either 87,89, or Premium. No middle ground.

FSO
  IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #25 - 06/18/08 at 10:20:18

I am no expert but I always thought that higher octane fuel burns a bit cooler due to more efficient combustion. Remember some biker saying he used high octane stuff in the summer heat in his aircooled bike. Does this make any sense?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 06/18/08 at 11:08:00

High octane gas burns slower so should run a little cooler,but I have no idea how much maybe not much at all.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #27 - 06/18/08 at 11:09:24

When I bought my 1987, the previous owner said that he always ran premium, so that's what I was running until I read that it was overkill. I switched to low octane and after a few weeks noticed that my header turned a God awful yellow/blue. It wasn't like that before I switched down. I'm back to using premium gas. It's only a few cents more to fill up with regular being $4.00 and premium being $4.20 in my area. This can easily be debated, but for now it's high octane for me.

FSO
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #28 - 06/18/08 at 11:24:00

mpescatori wrote on 06/17/08 at 14:10:24:
What kind of gasoline / gasohol am I likely to find in CA / NV / UT / AZ these next few weeks ? Prices ?

Well, I'm in OH, but this http://www.gasbuddy.com/ is a good place to start.  However, the more rural areas typically aren't listed and are usually higher.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:21:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What Grade Gas Do You Use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.