Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What Grade Gas Do You Use? (Read 319 times)
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
What Grade Gas Do You Use?
06/16/08 at 19:38:59

When I got the bike from the dealer last week, (no owner's manual yet) it probably back fired two times.  But yesterday, I filled the tank and put in high test.  She back fired a lot moreand seemed to run a little funny.  There was gas from the dealer still in the tank.

What do you all use? Huh
Thanks.

HD

IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Re: What Grade Gas Do You Use?
Reply #1 - 06/16/08 at 19:43:00

I use premium with no problem.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 06/16/08 at 19:55:35

87 octane.  Can't buy it any cheaper than that here.  The bike runs like a champ.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 06/16/08 at 21:05:46

The easiest way to increase engine performance is to increase the compression ratio.  Unfortunately, when you increase the compression ratio you run into a problem of pre-ignition where the fuel-air mixture spontaneously ignites during the compression stroke.  This results in a push against the engine rotation and a considerable loss of power, acompanied by a "knock" or "ping."  A gasoline with a higher octane rating can take higher compression without spontaneous ignition.

Low octane fuel in a high compression engine results in pre-ignition and loss of power.
High octane fuel in a high compression engine stops pre-ignition for no loss of power.
Thus, high octane fuel in a high compression engine produces more power.

Low octane fuel in a low compression engine does not pre-ignite and has no loss of power.
High octane fuel in a low compression engine does not pre-ignite and has no loss of power.
"No loss of" does not mean "more."
high octane fuel in a low compression engine does not produce more power.

Our Savage/S40 has not had any engine improvements, it is a 1980's design with a 8.5:1 compression ratio.  The Royal Enfield 350 has a 7.25:1 compression and the RE500 a unbelievably low 5.5:1 compression.  They are un-improved 1950's designs.  Other than the Enfields I know of no other m/c with such low compression.  We should and do run fine on anything remotely resembling gasoline.

WWW   IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #4 - 06/16/08 at 21:20:00

I use the cheap stuff in both our bikes - no need for high octane in an engine not designed to take advantage of it.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #5 - 06/16/08 at 21:25:47

Thanks for the info, Paladin, but i really don't understand compression ratio and stroke.  Does that mean since the engine hasn't changed in years, that I should just use regular or 89 octane?

thanks.

hd

IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #6 - 06/16/08 at 21:31:02

I just saw pgman's response.   So I assume I can use 87.  That's great.  Even saves me more $ and will be riding with an even bigger smile on my face.  Grin

Really appreciate the input everybody.
I'll get more knowledgable as time goes on.

hd
p.s. you peeps here are so nice. what a great forum.

IP Logged
seanbo
YaBB Newbies

live clean ride
clean

california
Reply #7 - 06/16/08 at 22:27:58

I know I'm new to the savage, but I have noticed a skicker on my bike on the frame, on the right side of the forks yoke, and it has all kinds of info and on it it says  fuel : unleaded gas 91 min.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 06/16/08 at 23:23:13

seanbo wrote on 06/16/08 at 22:27:58:
I know I'm new to the savage, but I have noticed a skicker on my bike on the frame, on the right side of the forks yoke, and it has all kinds of info and on it it says  fuel : unleaded gas 91 min.

Just went and looked at all mine, and the requirements on the 87 is for: :Low lead or unleaded gasoline. Both of the 99s have the recommendation for a minimum of 91 octane calculated via RON. At a total cost of about 20¢ - 30¢ per fill, I've been running 93 octane most of the time in all of my bikes. However, I have to say that when I have filled up with 87 or 89 I've not noticed a difference in performance or any engine noise.

One other thing on fuel, it was recently announced that the largest retailer of gasoline in this area (Tulsa OK) has been blending 10% Ethanol for a couple of years now without informing the public!
I've found out that Phillips 66 around here are still selling 100% dino gasoline, and I'm switching to them in all my vehicles for the improved mileage, as long as the small price difference pays for itself.

IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #9 - 06/17/08 at 05:22:51

When I filled up at the Shell station, in Miami, I did notice the reference to 10% ethanol.
hd

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 06/17/08 at 05:41:51

My own personal experience:

- when riding in city traffic, it's all stop&go, lane splitting, weaving, rarely get beyond 40mph in 3rd gear, so... low octane.

- when filling up for a long country run, top gear and an easy 60mph, high octane actually improves performance marginally, but I feel a crisper throttle response so I fuel up with premium.

Consider we only have two grades here in Italy, 94 and 98 octane.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 06/17/08 at 05:51:19

My 2007 S40 seems to run perfectly well on anything I put in the tank.

Here in Nebraska the Regular is usually billed as 87 octane; the "Super Unleaded with 10% Ethanol" 89 octane. Of late the 10% ethanol blend is about 10 cents cheaper - sometimes more. I started using ethanol blend - then called "Gasohol" - in the early '80s. I have never had any problems with it, in motorcycles, cars, trucks, or power equipment. I do avoid it in gas/oil mixes for two-stroke engines, because of possible phase separation if any water gets into it.

I have read on another forum that recent changes in Federal law designed to promote the use of ethanol allow gas stations to blend up to 10% ethanol into any gasoline, with or without labelling the pump to let you know. "If it comes from the Internet it must be true." If you are alert you can smell the difference while fuelling. There is also a fairly simple test, which I'll describe if anyone is curious.

Most of my equipment recommends against long-term storage with ethanol fuel mixes. The claim is that the ethanol tends to absorb atmospheric moisture, and will cause corrosion. I have not observed this problem, although I admit to trying to find straight gasoline when I think the equipment may not be used for some months.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #12 - 06/17/08 at 05:56:24

I wonder why some bikes apparently have a recommendation for 91 minumum?  My owner's manual says 87 Octane is all you need, and it's an 03.  Perhaps this recommendation changed over the run of model years but that seems odd to me.

Not to sidebar the thread, but I am also becoming frustrated with the Ethanol thing.  I would gladly pay a few cents more per gallon to have 100% gasoline.  It mostly because I just don't agree with this Ethanol program being shoved down my throat.  I think its a tremendously short-sighted solution.  So far, every one of the stations I've found in my 15 mile radius of regular riding / driving sells 90/10.  I can't seem to find one that doesn't. Angry

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #13 - 06/17/08 at 06:00:40

Rockin_John wrote on 06/16/08 at 23:23:13:
seanbo wrote on 06/16/08 at 22:27:58:

Just went and looked at all mine, and the requirements on the 87 is for: :Low lead or unleaded gasoline. Both of the 99s have the recommendation for a minimum of 91 octane calculated via RON.

If I had to guess (and I do, because I'm octane illiterate) I'd bet that they recommend the higher octane fuel because of emissions laws.  Same reason they strangle the bike at the factory now days.  I read on here about everyone rejetting to "at least 150."  My '87 came stock with a 155 main jet.  Things have changed some in thirty years.

I need to get Feisty Limited to race me so we can compare the two.  She just picked up a really nice '07.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
mistereman1
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Texas
Reply #14 - 06/17/08 at 07:30:09

Run regular all the time and once month I add 2-3 ounces of carb cleaner to a full tank.  Runs great and no carb troubles in the last 10 years.

1986 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:18:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What Grade Gas Do You Use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.