Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help!! (Read 423 times)
oksavage

Help!!
06/16/08 at 18:00:01

OK so I'm trying to change the cam chain and I get the bright idea to use a penny to hod the gears while I break the main gear loose (I saw this technique in another post) suddenly I loose the penny and it goes into the oil pan. I'm thinking don't panic but lets be honest it's panic time.  What do I do??  I can't see it and I poked around in the hole but can't feel it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Help!!
Reply #1 - 06/16/08 at 18:09:11

Sounds like you gonna do some fishin'   Shocked

tip it over, get a rubber mallot, hit the bottom, fill'er with old oil, then tip it.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/16/08 at 20:17:36

Get 5 really big guys to lift the bike on it's side and shake the cr*p out of it.

Sorry,.. that's a real booger sitch you got there..no tellin' what's gonna' do it, but don't give in and it'll come to ya'.  Best of luck

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 06/16/08 at 20:39:53

I wonder what a shop vac would do if you pulled the oil plug and then stuck the hose on the little oval shaped passage behind the sight glass?  It's way down at the bottom, in front of the clutch.  Maybe it's too high.  I can't tell from the picture I'm looking at right now.

What route did the penny take to get IN  the oil pan?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #4 - 06/16/08 at 22:13:10

it went in the oblong hole under the primary gear.  it's weird I can't feel it or hear it moving around in the pan.  maybe if I turn it over nearly completely.  I'll try the earlier suggestion of flushing it out, maybe if poured oil in through the drain hole while it is on it's side? just a thought.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 06/16/08 at 22:22:04

assume you have the tank off of it, if you don't have a sealed battery like the big crank - pull the battery, lay it down, beat and carry on with a rubber mallet something awful - have a beer and lean it over even more and repeat until it jumps out

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 06/16/08 at 22:39:16

drain the carb if you haven't!

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 06/17/08 at 09:50:20

Before you go too crazy, make sure it didn't drop to the ground or in that catch pan. I would to see you beat the crap out of the bike while the penny is staring you right in the face somewhere close by.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #8 - 06/17/08 at 09:54:01

I'm replacing my cam chain this weekend. Thanks for the reminder to stuff some paper towel in that hole.

I lost my adjuster circlip in there before. Luckily it's ferrous so I could use my magnetic pickup to sweep around. You didn't happen to use a 1943 steel penny, did you?? I agree with the others, though. Seems like the best bet is to lean it as far as you can, keep pouring oil in through the drain hole and beat the snot out of it.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/17/08 at 10:20:58

Onr more idea if you have not solved it yet.
Get a stiff piece of paper and slip down there, wiggle side to side.  I've done this under the starter to scoot out washers etc.  Best of luck...

IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #10 - 06/17/08 at 10:43:17

ok, have poured oil through engine multiple times and nothing, laid t on it's side an hoisted rear end, nothing, cussed alot!!!  I wonder about one of those LED flashlights with the flexing neck and a dental mirror? Also, remind what happens if I say screw it put it back together and ride. (I know bad idea but just frustration over something so stupid)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/17/08 at 14:13:56

Oh! Oh!  I just had a new idea!
Tape a drinking straw to the end of your vacuum cleaner hose and suck out the penny!  Really!  It might work?

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #12 - 06/17/08 at 14:46:29

Or....

reverse the shop vac so it is blowing and see if positive pressure/turbulence might rattle or move the penny around enough.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 06/19/08 at 08:30:52

Here's a pict of the inside.  Sorry,  looks like it's going to be a pain to get out.......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/19/08 at 08:40:29

My .02.  Tip the bike over on it's left side.  Get stiff wire (coat hanger) and strong flashlight.   You can bend the coat hanger various ways to reach crannies.. see if you can coax the penny to where you can see it.  Maybe then you can get to it with mech fingers, hemostats, or the like.  If not, then tip the bike backup then over so the penny comes closer to the oblong hole.
(Been there.. did that.  What I lost was through the oblong hole was the little metal pin that held the tensioner compressed.  THEN lost 2 magnets while trying to fish out that pin!!)
First thing that happens now, those holes get plugged with rags!  Angry

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:48:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.