Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP (Read 821 times)
EIGHTWGT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP
06/15/08 at 05:14:41

Hey everyone - its my first post... for a reason - I dont have an S40 yet !
Here is my 'problem'. I have a few people telling me I wont like the S40 , and it will over heat easy... which really scares me.  I am 43, 160 lbs and have not rode in 25 years. I had a Honda CB125 that was my transportation for 2-3 years when I lived in Illinois - I now live in Jacksonville, Florida.  I want to ride up and down the coast, and just where I can - and when I saw and sat on the S40 I fell in love with it - but then everyone is trying to talk me out of it and got me looking hard at the Kawasaki 500 LTD..... because it's liquid cooled - its a twin, etc....

HELP ! Undecided

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP
Reply #1 - 06/15/08 at 05:23:32

I personally have never heard of an S40/Savage "overheating".  I ride around San Antonio.  It's been high 90's here for quite a while, and I ride all the time. All you need to do is make sure you have the correct oil weight.
You will overheat before the bike does!!
I'm 53, 220 pounds (I think).  This was my first bike after a 30 year "lapse of sanity".  I've had it 18 months and put almost 15 thousand miles on it.
Is it the bike for everyone?  Absolutely not.  Read through the messages and see some of the issues.
Is it the bike for me? ABSOLUTELY!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 06/15/08 at 05:33:53

I agree with youz, I was out of biking for over 25 years when I got my 2005 s40. Never had an overheating issue. I've put 12,000 miles on it in two full seasons and i'm looking forward to the next 12,000. I'd put on alot more miles if i lived in a warmer climate. I may look for a larger bike in the future but for now this is the perfect bike for me.
AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 06/15/08 at 06:50:14

I am 6' 2" and just under 300 Ive got over 2000 miles and alot of that is in town 25mph and I have no problems with heat.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/15/08 at 07:19:11

There are WAAAY too many happy S-40 owners( I am one) who would disagree. Its light enough so I can be sloppy at a stop sign & NOt wind up doing the powersplits on the way down. My daughter( 21) rides it easy enough, In fact, when I got mine, I was JUSt starting to get out of the house, after months & years of serious illness, to the point of being unable to even drive a car, But I could handle this little bike..And do the maintenance. It Rips away from stopsigns  (& Some Harleys), if it had more power, all it would do is cost more, use more gas & the power would be For What? Any faster away from the light & I'd be getting a ticket. For the $$$, the power, fuel economy, dependability & looks, the fun I have,, I bought it new, cuz I thought I needed a warranty, But naaaah, If I had found this place first, I woulda shopped for used.
IF you get an S-40 & simply dont like the bike, let me know, Okay? I have been so shocked as that in all my life & I want to see if I could even survive it!!

I hope ya get it, & join in with this bunch. VERY smart , some of these folks, very talented, widely diversified bunch. You can hang out here, even If you dont own one, THATS how mean they are..

Buy it, You'll Liiike it. They pull so sweet coming thru a turn, just a throaty roar, not some Crotch Rocket scream, that makes cops ears perk up. I can rip a turn on this that, If I was having as much fun in a car, I would be in legal trouble. This is fun at much lower speeds & Cheap on gas, I get ( just checked it) 47.5 MPG riding the snot out of it. Siome better riding easy,but 47 MPG,, while giggling? Thats too cool..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/15/08 at 07:50:19

Overheating? are you grid locked?
Of course it is air cooled, and you gotta keep movin' to keep it cool or shut down.
I commute daily, jump on the freeway and ride for a half hour.  In the summer it can be 100°+ and when I get off the freeway it is toasty.  But as long as you can keep rollin' it won't over heat.  One route occasionally had a long wait for a left just as I get off the freeway, so instead I turn right and then a left into a residential area and a nice cool down instead of a leg scorching wait.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/15/08 at 08:03:24

108'f today in Tucson.  I'm doing 80 miles.  Figure to I'll lose 4 to 6lbs.  The bike will be fine.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 06/15/08 at 08:25:31

A final answer to "overheating" is to switch to a synthetic oil immediately after your break in period is over.  (you must use dino oil to get a proper break in as synthetic will not allow the same amount of wear in to take place).

Synthetic is good to engine temperatures your bike simply can't get up to, so "overheating" becomes a non-issue, even if stalled in traffic for hours on a 100+ day.

=========================

Now for some balance, your other choice is a nice bike too.  It costs more though.   Are you paying for the bike or is someone else footing the bill?  If someone is getting the bike for you -- then show them a SV650 since it is the "same size" as the Savage, it is water cooled and has all them H2O advantages and is still moderately priced.

It is also the bike that your local race clubs (personally owned race bike riders) take to the track on track days and ride during the rest of the week.  Why that one?  Because it wins or places every weekend .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Texasphotographer
YaBB Newbies

Old is better than
the alternative

Copperas Cove, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/15/08 at 09:19:35

Eightwt,  I live in Central Texas.  Its hot here in the summer.  11:12 Am and its 96 right now.  I have put over 2000 miles on my S40 since March 29 and its never stopped on me.  Does it get hot?   Yes, but not as wilted as I get.   Tomorrow I am riding with our BACA group.  This means wearing a leather vest to go to support a child.   We will be in court so we have to have a decent appearance.  To look decent, I will ride in one shirt and have another in my saddle bags for court.   The bike will be fine.  Will I?  I am 69 and weigh 195.

Tuesday, I have a 90 mile round trip will wear mesh as I am going on the highway.  I will wet a T shirt to put under the mesh.  The bike will be fine.  I hope I will.

One thing that is so important in hot weather is to check your tire pressure daily.   I have been losing 3-5 pounds every few days because of the heating - cooling cycle.  I checked the valve cores on both tires and they are fine.  Mechanic said its normal for motorcycle tires to lose this amount of air so check your tires daily.

Having supported the S40 so far in this thread, I am wanting to do some long distance touring so I will be trading in the 40 for a C 50T.  However, the S40 has been a great bike for me.

I am 69. Need I say more
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 06/15/08 at 10:33:47

EIGHTWGT wrote on 06/15/08 at 05:14:41:
...had a Honda CB125 that was my transportation for 2-3 years when I lived in Illinois {25 years ago} - I now live in Jacksonville, Florida.  I want to ride up and down the coast... saw and sat on the S40 I fell in love with it....

Similar are we.  I also rode a small bike for years, didn't ride for 18 years, started looking for something to be a daily ride.  A Suzuki GZ250 would suffice for what you ask, as it would have sufficed for what I asked.  I also saw and sat on a Savage.  Also love at first sit.   Three and a half years / 19,000 miles later I still love riding it.  It serves as my daily transportation, has taken a couple of 350 mile overnight jaunts in the Mojave under the full moon, has taken me to OKC and back -- first two legs were 1085 miles in 36 hours.  It is the little bike that can.  Were it to die tomorrow I would have a new S40 the day after.

When riding a motorcycle, collision avoidance is a high priority.  To avoid colliding with things you need to know where everything is and going to; which means you have to be observing all around you all the time -- back, sides, a half mile forward.  IF you have to devote attention to operating the motorcycle it takes attention away from observing and avoiding.  Therefore, IMHO, the PRIMARY factor in choosing a motorcycle must be how comfortable you are sitting on it.

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #10 - 06/15/08 at 12:00:26

buy it

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #11 - 06/15/08 at 12:10:19

I've have plenty of bikes some bigger and small but pound for pound I think i like this bike the best next to my old Magna I had. I would say buy it you'll love it, I also live in Texas and I havent even come close to "overheating it ".   But I use 10w-50 Motul.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #12 - 06/15/08 at 14:14:00

Just make sure that your butt and the seat can agree with eachother on those long trips lol
Ok, I haven't rode in 30 years and wanted a bike, I chose the S-40 because of how it felt on me at the Suzuki store..
I've had my 05 S-40 for just over a month now, Longest trip i've been on it was 220 miles on back roads. The bike performed beautifully and flawlessly.
It never came close to acting like it was overheating. The parts dude at Suzuki didn't really recommend the synthetic unless it was a race bike or something like that. For normal driving in the summer to use 20/50 wt. I went with Suzuki OEM 20/50.
The S-40 hauls my 225 pounds around everywhere without thinking twice about it. I love this bike!!!
Mine came with a windscreen and after having it on since day 1 i thought i'd try it without it.. It's quicker without it a little but with it it's a much more enjoyable ride so it's going back on tomorrow..
I have just one concern about it and thats the Interstate @ 70 MPH. It just sounds and feels like i'm working it alot to make it happen and i'm not sure if it's hurting it any to go that fast for 20 or 30 minute runs.. (Anyone ??)
BTW.. We're close in age and lapse in years of riding, So when you get on it the first time, dont treat it like a 125, this bike has torque and will have you saying OHH SH%T if you you crank down on the throttle. Once you get used to the power you're gonna have alot of fun on this bike because i sure do!!! Also you cant beat the price of it, New $4399.!!!

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #13 - 06/15/08 at 14:40:12

Seems like you can't swing a stick on this forum without hitting someone from Texas, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina...    Surely if there were problems with the bike overheating, at least one of them would have said something by now.  After all, they've been making the exact same bike for 32 or so years.  It must be sorta reliable, or they would have changed it by now.

I love mine.  I'm about 190 pounds and it trucks me all over the place at 70 mph.  With all my junk strapped on, it's probably closer to 210 pounds.

Liquid cooled, twin, all boils down to one thing for a guy like me:  More stuff to go wrong.  This bike is so easy to maintain and repair that even I can do it.  Get it.  You'll love it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #14 - 06/15/08 at 14:55:05

Gotta jump in to.  I ride bumper to bumper in Atlanta heat for up to an hour and a half, 16 miles, and have never had a problem with the bike.  On the other hand I get pretty crispy.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:24:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.