Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP (Read 821 times)
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP
Reply #30 - 06/16/08 at 09:15:23

As you've heard, the S40/Savage is a great "little" bike.

One thing about about it that I want to emphasize is the easy maintenance and simplicity it has.  I have a Honda Shadow 1100 as well as a Savage.  Doing any work on the Shadow is almost an impossibility, it's too complex for me.  The Savage I done ALL the work on myself with ease (and fun), and I have never taken it to the shop.  Let me just say that I am NOT a mechanic!  But I have found the Savage an easy bike to work on and modify as I want to.  It's given me confidence to know that I'm not dependent on a shop to change my oil or change my brake pads.  I've worked on the carb, drained and replaced the fork oil, did the chain conversion, replaced clutch springs, and am now in the middle of a total change in the look, all by myself.  I know everything about the little bike and it has become a real "friend" to me.  Sure, I like riding my Shadow 1100, but if I had to get rid of one of my bikes, it would not be the my Savage that would go.   Wink

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #31 - 06/16/08 at 10:53:05

I too had a long lay off from riding - 40 years.

I bought my 2006 S40 in April, and have only put 500 miles on it.

As for comfort issues - it's fine for me at 5'11" and 190 pounds.

This past Sat., a local HD dealership had what they call "Demo Ride Day", when the factory brings a dozen bikes of all HD sizes, and you sign up for a nice 15 minute ride, all in caravan.

My buddy went with me - he rode his Ducatti and I rode my S40 to the Harley dealership.  We signed up for two demo rides.

First, I had a 1200 Custom Sportster and for the second ride, I had a Dyna Low Rider.

Both were horrible.  Terribly uncomfortable seats, the family jewels were against the gas tank on the Sportster.

The Low Rider vibrated so badly in the foot pegs, and to downshift it I had to take my foot off of the peg and heave down on the shifter like I was crushing a beer can.  Clunk, clunk, went each gear.

Sure, the power of both of them was nice, but that was all.

I'll take my little S40's comfort level any day over those Harleys.

I can't speak to overheating - I haven't experienced any, but in 500 miles, that's not much experience.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #32 - 06/16/08 at 10:59:36

I bought my 2000 from a pawn shop for 1200.00 with just over 12000 miles on it, I have probably put that much more on it with no over heating issues what so ever and I live in the New Mexico desert.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
EIGHTWGT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 06/16/08 at 15:10:26

Wow.... All these responses so far... I am floored at the positive feedback about this bike...  Smiley

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #34 - 06/16/08 at 15:25:34

The other great thing about the Savage is this forum. Just in case you haven't noticed these people here know their stuff. I trust their knowledge over and above my (old) mechanic.

I've been reading old posts just to get up to speed and have been stunned by the help these people are willing to give. You can't say that just anywhere.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #35 - 06/16/08 at 16:01:35

I don't really stay cool unless I'm moving, I wear a mesh jacket, not leather in the summer. Beside that I just sweat and drink a lot of water which reminds me that I might wash my jacket this year. The hear is not that bad unless you get caught in traffic.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Ramazith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 06/26/08 at 18:50:14

This looks like a good spot.

Hi y'all.

I have many of the same questions about this bike as I see answered here. They are the most popular questions asked about the S40 and certainly are the ones most on my mind. Great thread.

It's good to see so many Texas riders. That's where I'll be riding.

The main purpose of me getting a bike is to use as a commuter that gets better than the 22mpg I get now in a truck. My commute is 60 miles round trip, mostly interstate, 60-70 mph. I cross the DFW on 820, 183 and 30. Think the S40 is up to it?

Given it were well maintained (and that doesn't mean rebuilt every other month) and driven as this type of commuter, how many miles are these bikes good for?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Ramazith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 06/26/08 at 18:53:41

PS- I weigh about 200 pounds.

IP Logged
Ramazith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 06/26/08 at 19:07:04

Oh, and how is it riding 2-up if we each weigh about 200 pounds? What's the max weight limit? It's not on the OEM site.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #39 - 06/26/08 at 20:32:37

My better half is only about 110 soaking wet and she didn't mind it.  I know I wouldn't want to park my 200 lb butt on that back seat for very long, though.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #40 - 06/26/08 at 21:08:25

I am 178lbs and i ride the heck out of mine and it has never overheated or even bogged down at all best bike i ever rode or even owned for that matter i am going on 10,000 miles on mine and love it more and more everyday so BUY IT you won't be let down.

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #41 - 06/26/08 at 21:42:07

Ramazith wrote on 06/26/08 at 18:50:14:
This looks like a good spot.

Hi y'all.
...use as a commuter that gets better than the 22mpg I get now in a truck. My commute is 60 miles round trip, mostly interstate, 60-70 mph....
It'll handle commuting no problem.  Depending on how steady that speed is, you should get 50-60 mpg.

50 weeks/year, 5 days/week, 60 mile/day = 15,000 miles/year.  At $4/gallon = $2,727 at 22 mpg versus $1,200 at 50 mpg.

If I were to be doing a 60 mile city freeway commute I'd be looking at the 250 Ninja, assuming I didn't think it was fugly.  The super scooters are also an option, especially if you get dressed up for work.  But not much can touch the Savage when it comes to fun factor, and that big upright single is a great ice breaker/conversation starter.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #42 - 06/27/08 at 01:04:34

I bought a brand new Savage in August 2003 ... last Oct. I sold it and bought an '06 S50 ... fine Bike too ... went like stink, had 2 cylinders and it looked real good ... but I wasn't happy ... I missed my LS650 the minute it's new owner rolled out of my driveway with it and I never stopped missing it ... so 2 weeks ago I sold the S50 and I am picking up an '05 S40 on Saturday and will have to Ride it 350mi to get it home! I can't wait!!!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Todd Perry
YaBB Newbies

Straighten up and
fly right....

Orlando, FL
Reply #43 - 06/27/08 at 18:54:46

Ramazith wrote on 06/26/08 at 19:07:04:
Oh, and how is it riding 2-up if we each weigh about 200 pounds? What's the max weight limit? It's not on the OEM site.

I've been wondering about that myself. The 2002 Owner's manual I found online says GVWR for that year was 785 pounds. Unfortunately, the weight of the cycle is 352 pounds, and I'm assuming that's "dry" (i.e. with an empty tank). It's got a 2.8 gallon tank, and a gallon of gas weighs about 6.5 pounds.

Sooo....

785-352-(6.5x2.8)= 414.8 pounds available for passengers and accessories (which includes things like bags, etc.)

(am I forgetting anything, guys?)

So you should be ok, but pack light Wink

Which way to the BBQ joint?
  IP Logged
aebooze

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingsland, GA
Reply #44 - 06/30/08 at 06:20:20

EIGHTWGT, I live just about half an hour north of you in kingsland, GA and I've been riding my s40 around, mostly to and from work and I haven't had any overheating problems.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:29:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.