Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP (Read 821 times)
EIGHTWGT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP
Reply #15 - 06/15/08 at 15:57:41

First Id like to say thanks for all the replies - keep them coming...  I was really starting to sway towards the 500 LTD, or even a s50.... but you guys are really turning me back around.... The bike just seems such a logical choice as a 'get back into biking' bike.....
I amglad to hear about all the warm climate riders.......

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #16 - 06/15/08 at 15:57:55

(the following post is PURE DRIPPING SARCHASM)

No, you'll hate it!

The bike is assembled with bubble-gum and good intentions.  The motor is so anemic you'll have to get off and push it over a curb.  You'll own it for a week and then trade it in on an ElectraGlide.  The bike is garbage!  All of the people here that say they're 'happy' with the S40 are a bunch of deluded wanna-bes.  The bike sucks...

Ok, now that thats out of the way....

Almost everyone I've run into that have run-down my Savage have never sat on one, let alone ridden one.  If you ask a Harley guy, he'll tell you there are no bikes other than Harley.  Ask a Yamaha guy about a V-star and he'll tell you they can ride on water.  Ask any of  them about a Savage and they'll tell you the bike sucks......

If you have a chance, take one for a test ride.  Hopefully, you can find dealers that also sells Yammies and Hondas.  Ride the S40, then ride a VLX 600, then a Shadow 750 and finally the V-Star 650.  Each bike has its strengths and each has its weaknesses.  I settled on the Savage (S40) and haven't looked back since.  I'll be topping 40,000 miles on mine before the end of summer.  Never once had a mechanical failure and never once had any trouble keeping up with bigger bikes.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #17 - 06/15/08 at 17:34:27

jrm8486 is from Fl. somewhere.I don't recall him ever saying he had any such problems.
I'm 6'3" about 260,It's small for me,but I love both of them.Dallas,Tx.101 today.Coming up route 75 today,going about 75 I think I had vaporlock.Pulled onto the service road,then it seemed ok.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #18 - 06/15/08 at 18:19:45

My wife and I were out yesterday on a short cruise and need to pass a slower vehicle (probably running around 45) ... was running in third or fourth and when I popped open the throttle, plenty of power! The S-40 is certainly not a bad little bike and one you should feel pretty comfortable on after being away from riding for several years. It does have plenty of low-end torque so be aware of that!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #19 - 06/15/08 at 19:11:11

Been here in Daytona for three years and ride in 95+ heat during the summer with no problems. A rejet and carb tune up helps a lot keeping the engine cool beside that the big single is a tough bike.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #20 - 06/15/08 at 19:55:25

Ed L. wrote on 06/15/08 at 19:11:11:
Been here in Daytona for three years and ride in 95+ heat during the summer with no problems. A rejet and carb tune up helps a lot keeping the engine cool beside that the big single is a tough bike.

How do you stay cool?? It's in the 90's here and scorching hot.

Would like some tips on how to stay cool....but I'm not sure if this is on topic or not...is it? Undecided Sorry,havent read all the posts here Embarrassed

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #21 - 06/15/08 at 20:07:09

Sorry I did go back and read the first posts.

I know when I bought my Savage alot of people tried to talk me into a bigger bike....but my conclusion was,after listening to all their comments ....most just didnt like the one cyclinder!! And not that there was a problem with the one clyinder! Wink

Some even tried to talk me into a smaller 2 cyclinder. Wink

That's my experience,but I havent had any problem with the Savage,at all. And,its HOT here Wink

Were'nt originally all or most bikes a one cylinder? Undecided For a long time?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #22 - 06/15/08 at 20:12:25

FreeSpirit wrote on 06/15/08 at 19:55:25:

Would like some tips on how to stay cool....but I'm not sure if this is on topic or not...is it? Undecided Sorry,havent read all the posts here Embarrassed

Free Spirit, we already covered that.  Remember?  You were supposed to soak a do-rag in water and then ride around in a thong to see if it kept you cool.  You promised the group that you would run the experiment and then post pictures documenting your conclusions.  Tongue

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #23 - 06/15/08 at 20:18:39

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/15/08 at 20:12:25:
FreeSpirit wrote on 06/15/08 at 19:55:25:

Free Spirit, we already covered that.  Remember?  You were supposed to soak a do-rag in water and then ride around in a thong to see if it kept you cool.  You promised the group that you would run the experiment and then post pictures documenting your conclusions.  Tongue

Knowing this area,some have probably already tried that.
I'll just ask around town .....instead of doing it myself Wink

I'll let you know what I find out!

Pics? Of them only..lol.

(I admit I've done some crazy things on MC's in the past as a passenger(clothes or lack of that is) that I wont mention,but I was young and innocent back then....I dont have that kind of nerve that I use to Wink

Maybe that's why I dont remember it being this hot before Wink

(Sorry,you were suppose to win that round Wink

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #24 - 06/15/08 at 22:36:00

But seriously,werent the first MC's one cylinder,air cooled?

Did they have problems? I dont think so Undecided

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/15/08 at 22:51:58

The best tip for staying cool is to stay moving.  Wink Ride that pup.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 06/15/08 at 23:34:40

Staying cool? For a little while, its easy. I spray myself down with the hose before I ride away. The Tee shirt, under the long sleeve is well wetted, the outter shirt, too.I have a pump up spray bottle, with a Mister Nozzle I drilled out, so it squirts more, so I can rewet at a light. Its strapped to the right shock, I should move it to the left, so it wouldnt get the water so hot. I wet it, too, so the ride cools it, but its so close to the muffler, its hot anyway.But, hot water cools off as soon as I ride away from the stop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #27 - 06/16/08 at 05:23:32

I've put quite a few thousand miles on both a Savage and an LTD500 (Vulcan). There's a whole lot of difference between the two, but your concerns (and your buddies comments) about the Savage overheating are unfounded.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #28 - 06/16/08 at 06:28:31

My first bike is my 2007 S40 that I picked up about... 7 weeks ago. It's been a blast driving it and I'm glad I went with this bike.

It's short (perfect for me at 5'6"), it's light, and it's got a good bit of power, certainly enough for me and my jaunts around town.

Another big seller? The price tag...

Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #29 - 06/16/08 at 07:32:57

I'm 45 and 171 lbs. I just did 125 miles (much of it at 70-75 MPH) on my 98 Savage yesterday in 101° F heat without a problem.  I did the same thing at 230 lbs in 105° F heat without a problem.  I use full synthetic oil to hedge my bets but that's about it so far as cooling is concerned.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:25:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 ? CANNOT DECIDE - PLEASE HELP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.