Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems with new fuel valve (Read 131 times)
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Problems with new fuel valve
06/14/08 at 11:09:33

I am feeling a bit ridiculous going over this problem again!!  I got a new fuel valve and installed it yesterday and also cleaned the plug.  It started right up with the valve on the regular position and I took it out for a run, and in a short distance 200 yards it backfired and came to a stop so I switched over to prime and it ran well.  I tried switching it over to normal position a few times with the same result, it would cut out but would ride on prime (without vacuum line being pinched off).  I filled up with gas and got home (running on prime), and I decided after having it sit for awhile, to start it and run it on regular position.  It ran and at one point revved up and then cut out and I put it away.  This morning I went to go for a ride and it wouldn't start in regular position, in prime or reserve.  I thought that maybe there was an air block so I undid the bottom of the carb and drained some fuel out with still the same result.  I am getting a  frustrated with finding out the problem, I know it is something concerning the fuel valve but don't know what to do next.  
DocNeedles

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Re: Problems with new fuel valve
Reply #1 - 06/14/08 at 11:40:40

Have you checked whether you are getting a good flow of fuel through the valve? (switch valve to RES or ON, disconnect the fuel hose to the carb and then switch to PRI and fuel should start flowing...)

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 06/14/08 at 11:54:55

It sounds like a vacuum leak to me...or a bad diaphram.  Now what are the chances the new diaphram is bad?  Anybody got any lottery tickets?

BTW, have you done anything to your bike that would cause problems with the vacuum?

Also, check your fuel flow and report back with results.  How long does it take to fill an 8 ounce cup on PRI?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/15/08 at 00:17:09

Are you sure the screen in the tank is flowing right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #4 - 06/16/08 at 16:24:59

barry68v10 wrote on 06/14/08 at 11:54:55:
It sounds like a vacuum leak to me...or a bad diaphram.  Now what are the chances the new diaphram is bad?  Anybody got any lottery tickets?

BTW, have you done anything to your bike that would cause problems with the vacuum?

Also, check your fuel flow and report back with results.  How long does it take to fill an 8 ounce cup on PRI?

I did disconnect the fuel line and turned valve to prime and it took 30 seconds to fill a cup.  Today I took off the tank, (tried starting it a number of times with no go) and took out the spark plug which was black with coating, (not oil),  I then cleaned and set my spark plug (plus others I have had around since I have had this as an ongoing problem) and put back the original fuel valve, and put new fuel lines and vacuum lines in.  The bike started, not easily and exhausted some unburnt gas.  I am again running it on Pri with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged.  I took the bike out for a burn and it seems to be running like it was before with just a bit of unburnt gas exhausting when it has sat for a length of time and is cold.
I understand that there is some concern on the island that the gas tanks are contaminated with fresh water and sea water.  That is where I purchased gas the last time when I was trying out the new fuel valve, prior to that I purchased gas at a station where the tanks are high and dry from the ocean.
So, I think that with the brand new fuel valve there was a possibility that the engine was flooding on both the regular setting and the Pri setting.  Any feedback, I would like to understand what is happening with this.  I am almost considering rebuilding the fuel valve as specified in the tech section and just having an on and off valve with no diaphragm.
DocNeedles

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 06/16/08 at 17:14:03

If it is exhausting unburned gas, isn't it possible that it's not the petcock at all?  How about carburetion or ignition trouble?  You said it revved up and then died...  Somewhere in the back of my little brain a bell is ringing.  

What thread was that in?  Somebody was saying that it is normal for an engine to stutter and lag prior to running out of gas, but his was revving up prior to running empty.  He had figured out the reason, but I can't remember it now.  Maybe he was running rich and the lack of gas was bringing his mix into the zone?  Your float isn't stuck, is it?

I don't know how that would tie in with your bike running on prime sometimes, but it is another avenue to investigate.  Or maybe not.  I don't know.  I'll sit back down now. Embarrassed

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #6 - 06/16/08 at 19:32:55

Have you checked the needle valve and seat?  I had a run in with a bad needle valve, combined with a finicky petcock diaphram.  
After changing the needle valve and seat, I run now on prime and just keep track of my mileage.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/16/08 at 20:02:22

It won't get too much gas from the new petc*ck.  The float in the carb will regulate that.
So let's start from the top.  Gas tank is clean, petc*ck filter is clean, petc*ck is new, vac diaphragm is part of petc*ock so it's also new, vac line is new,...
O.K. so you're down to the carb,... your symptoms are of flooding so the fuel passages are not the problem, so check the following...

The "choke" is not stuck to on,...

From the bottom of the carb;
Make sure the float is not taking in gas, float is adjusted to correct horizontal level, the float needle is working, check that the main jet is seated and is not bigger than 155#,

From the top of the carb;
The carb slide is moving freeley and the slide spring is in place.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems with new fuel valve

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.