Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Awesome mileage all of a sudden. (Read 142 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Awesome mileage all of a sudden.
06/13/08 at 20:29:12

Took a cruise with Kay today.  She's getting more and more confident, and our speed probably averaged around 60-65.  All I've done to the bike lately is set the valve lash (from less than .002" to about .004") and more or less gut the stock muffler.  I am getting plenty of loud backfires on decel, but nothing new at shutdown.  So I'm running pretty lean at speed, I guess.

My question is this:  Should any or all of those factors (slightly lower than usual speed, valves, and lean running) add up to my getting 64.9 mpg on the trip today?  I average about 52 mpg in my day-to-day running around at about 70 mph.  

I realize one tank isn't enough to get a good reading, but my mileage was better today.  A LOT better.  I was thinking the exhaust was a little too loud and maybe I'd put some stuffing back in, but if that is what caused this improvement, I might just keep it the way it is.  Who needs happy neighbors anyway?

Thoughts?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Re: Awesome mileage all of a sudden.
Reply #1 - 06/13/08 at 21:11:45

It was most likely the speed that caused the improvement, the best i ever got was 67 mpg and that was doing 60-65 mph steadily. Stopping and starting is what lowers mpg most times so when you just ride highway with few stops starts and shifts your mileage will be higher than around town riding. Maybe if the clearance was too tight a valve might have been not seating fully and you could lose compression there but I doubt that at .002" clearance. It probably wasn't the pipe because the fuel is still metered by the same jets, and if you leave the pipe that way be sure to rejet to proper mixture so your not running too hot (this should also raise your mpg a tiny bit due to the power gain).

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/14/08 at 07:13:42

A lot of start/stop riding will lower mileage.  I get about 45 mpg city, on whatever California serves up in lieu of gasoline.

Steady state cruising at moderate speed will give you high mileage.  From Parker AZ to North Palm Springs CA on California Route 62 -- 153.5 miles, 2.2 gallons.

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 06/14/08 at 08:53:46

When my bike was still stock, I'd get about 68 mpg on the highway.

Now, I seem to get around 60 mpg under the same conditions but the bike runs cooler now...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/14/08 at 19:48:54

OUCH! Since I did the white spacer mod, my mileage has been about 45-50 mpg. It was about 50-55 mpg, pre mod. Most of my riding is at 70mph on the slab. I'd try cutting back to 60mph, but my mileage would go way up. It don't burn much fuel bein' a hood ornimate on a cage. Grin
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:48:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Awesome mileage all of a sudden.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.