Send Topic Print
Cutting out and dying (Read 238 times)
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Cutting out and dying
06/12/08 at 05:25:29

Well it's not fixed yet. After they drained the tank yesterday and got the water and bad gas out I was assured that everything was fine.

This morning on the way to work it cut out and died 3 times. Slowed down to make a turn and it died. Didn't want to start back up. Next stop sign died again. Stop sign after that I kept the throttle open so it wouldn't die. Final stop sign died. The first time it died this morning it actually died before I made the turn. Just quit as I started to slow so I coasted through the turn and stopped.

Gas isn't going where it's supposed to obviously. Sound like carb to you guys? It did this yesterday on the way to work before we got the bad gas out. When I told the mechanic he said 'no it didn't. It's your driving.' Funny how it was running fine before I took it in for supposed pre trip service.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cutting out and dying
Reply #1 - 06/12/08 at 05:55:37

Put it on prime & see if it acts different. I nkow thats lame, but its all I have.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/12/08 at 06:00:29

Did you ever try seafoam in the gas

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #3 - 06/12/08 at 06:04:39

No I didn't try seafoam. I need to try to find some. I made the mistake of saying something about it to the shop and got poo poo'd, that stupid woman thing.

Blood pressure at a new high and I have really low blood pressure.

I'll call down to the other place this morning and see if they have seafoam. I can get to them at lunch.

If it's not reliable in the city I am not taking it on the road for 2000 miles until I know it's OK. Bummer  :'(

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 06/12/08 at 06:09:20

Walmart and most auto supplies here sell seaform

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 06/12/08 at 06:15:31

ALittlebird wrote on 06/12/08 at 05:25:29:
Well it's not fixed yet. After they drained the tank yesterday and got the water and bad gas out I was assured that everything was fine.

This morning on the way to work it cut out and died 3 times. Slowed down to make a turn and it died. Didn't want to start back up. Next stop sign died again. Stop sign after that I kept the throttle open so it wouldn't die. Final stop sign died. The first time it died this morning it actually died before I made the turn. Just quit as I started to slow so I coasted through the turn and stopped.

Gas isn't going where it's supposed to obviously. Sound like carb to you guys? It did this yesterday on the way to work before we got the bad gas out. When I told the mechanic he said 'no it didn't. It's your driving.' Funny how it was running fine before I took it in for supposed pre trip service.

might should go back to the shop and get in their face - so the bad gas just showed up after the pretrip service?

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #6 - 06/12/08 at 06:43:41

I had filled it up just prior to taking it in last week. Had 30 miles on the tank. There was water in the bowl. So the assumption was it was bad gas, drain the tank, clean it out and use new gas. They did that last night. Rode it home fine. It started fine this morning. It was just about 2 miles down the road when it started cutting out.

I thought the pre trip service was going to include cleaning the carb, checking the valves etc but all they did was do a basic check and change the oil. ANd when they tried to put the vista cruise on they snapped the throttle tube.

I know there are no coincidences but I'm not happy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/12/08 at 06:45:27

I wouldnt add anything to it. Id take it in, & tell them "It was running fine when I came here. My driving style hasnt changed. I came here to make SURE it was okay for a 2,000 mile trip. I want to ride it. I need you to figure out what you did to it sio I can. If you cant do that, I can take it to another shop & when their servive man figures it out & its is YOUR fault, you can pay their bill. But, I will be on that trip in X days.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/12/08 at 08:58:57

Did you try prime?
Vac hose connected properly?
Vent hoses connected properly?

WWW   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #9 - 06/12/08 at 10:25:56

No I didn't try prime since it was running fine and then not. But I will when I leave work if it happens. I will also check the hoses when I get home.

I have a call into the other shop about it. They are 2 weeks behind but said that 2 of their mechanics do work at home after hours so they are supposed to call me this afternoon. He's at leats trying to get me on the road Tuesday.

Maybe it will be someone who will show me how to clean a carb.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 06/12/08 at 12:29:10

I'm going to put in 2 more cents worth. As I'm just trying to help! So I'm going to throw this in also Undecided

But,didnt SW have a problem with her bike dying off and on, and it was a pinched cable or something.

Does anyone remember that?

I remember parts of it,but not all of it. Was simple to fix though.

(Just thinking that the problem could actually be two different problems instead of just one)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #11 - 06/12/08 at 13:37:55

Do I have to run the tank of gas out before I put seafoam in? I filled it back up yesterday after the mechanic drained it.

I was going to runout and get some. If it doesn't work I've only lost a few bucks. The other mechanic hasn't called.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 06/12/08 at 14:03:54

No put some in right away then run it,then over night it will be working to clean up stuff,then drive tomorrow ,If you know how to take off fuel bowl take it off put 1/2 ounce in fuel bowl  and put it back on it will give it a strong mix.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #13 - 06/12/08 at 14:25:25

I have the clymers manual. I'll look to see about taking the fuel bowl off.

Thanks Bill. On my way over to Wally world.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #14 - 06/12/08 at 18:19:30

I've never tried it to see what would happen...  If they screwed around with the idle air/fuel mixture, could it be running so lean that it won't run?  What happens when you shut that screw all the way down and leave it for awhile?  I've only ever done that with the engine off prior to counting turns out when tuning the carb.

I'm just thinking that if it happened "overnight", and the new gas is presumably good, then it isn't likely to be varnish and crud so much as something the mechanic did.  Seafoam sure won't hurt, but I think I'd find out where that screw is set.

Maybe I'm way off, but isn't "running waaaay to lean" another way of saying "fuel starvation?"

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:27:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cutting out and dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.