Send Topic Print
Heckled S40 Rider.. (Read 1435 times)
Vashe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Heckled S40 Rider..
Reply #15 - 06/12/08 at 01:13:52

So far I have had nothing but compliments about the look of my bike, from riders, drivers and pedestrians alike, all ages and walks of life. It's a fine machine. period.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #16 - 06/12/08 at 01:23:25

I heard a great put-down delivered to a Harley rider a while back.  

The Harley rider criticised a Jap bike, saying they may have technical innovation, but they're characterless and not worth having.

The Jap bike rider said "Well, I'd even have to admit that Harley is totally ahead of the game in terms of technical innovation.  If you need to get your ditch pump from one ditch to another, putting a wheel at either end of it was a brilliant idea - that was true innovation".

The Harley rider rode off.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #17 - 06/12/08 at 04:23:47

I get flack at work too. I used to ride a Kymco 250 scooter, so I'm used to getting no respect. Even amoung the scooter crowd, if it wasn't a Vespa, it wasn't sh!t. It used to bug me that folks said I wasn't riding a "real" bike. Now that stuff just slides off of me. I say, if a person wants respect from and for what they own, even Bill Gates' money won't be enough. Eventually, when they'd ask incredulously if I rode a (disgusted tone) "scooooter", I'd say "No, it's a moped."

It never ends. Even if you were to get a HD, unless you got the latest, biggest, most accesorized model they offer, there would still be some in the HD crowd who would still look down their noses, and next year HD would come out with something bigger, costlier, chromier (I just made a Bushism! Smiley) Most HD riders I've met, after the GOOD natured ribbing about my "rice burner", I found at heart are just bikers, happy that they meet up with a kindred spirit on two wheels, regardless of make. Those few HD riders with the ego problem don't have enough respect for themselves to give any to anyone else. Ugh oh, better quit now. I'm starting to get all Dr. Phil. Cheesy

I get a great many compliments on the Suzuki. I appreciate it for what it is, but I always remember people are fickle. Some seem to like it; for a few others, it's not a real bike. When those folks look at the Savage and ask "What is that?", with their lip all culred up like no matter what the answer is, if it's not a Harley, they're not gonna like it; I say "It's a Puch. Now Puch off!"  Grin
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #18 - 06/12/08 at 05:18:31

I rode out to a customer site in Ohio, yesterday.  When I got to the recieving office, the clerk noted I was in jeans and a riding jacket.

'Did you ride?' he asked.  'Yup, its out side'.  He and 3 other guys got up and went outside to see what I pulled up on.

First Question 'What is that???'
Second Question 'That cylinder is f'n huge!'
Third Question 'That things gotta be pretty easy on gas, isn't it?'

All 4 are Harley riders (the smallest of the bunch is a Sportster 1200).  They were all very impressed with the size, the fuel economy and uniqueness of the bike.  It really stands out in a crowd of look-alike V-twin cruisers.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #19 - 06/12/08 at 06:29:14

I've had a whole lot of road bikes, all 900/1000/1100/1200cc Jap 4-cylnder tourers and sport bikes, a few cruisers and a few single cylinder dirt bikes.

I'm as guilty as anybody for mocking other road bikes - I especially like calling GSX-R1000s, Firblades and R1s 'mopeds' just to annoy their riders - then show them why when they try to pull past the nitroused ZX12R.

But sports bikes are all about power and performance, while cruisers are about character.  I have a ZL1000 Eliminator, and that's a pretty special cruiser/muscle bike which I dearly love (only done 11000 miles since new in 1987), but the unique nature of the Savage really is special.

It's flawed, it's too small for some, it has insufficient power for many people who have owned quicker bikes, and it suffers from Suzuki's budget build quality, but its character, value, simplicity and uniqueness more than make up for those faults - and it's a pretty little thing too!  I'm hoping to get my renovation finished this weekend and get her on the road - depends on how many hours I can sneak away from the missus to complete final assembly of the cycle parts and bodywork, then run up the rebuilt motor, but I can't wait.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #20 - 06/12/08 at 06:40:04

Hey guys I too have been heckled about buying my 2006 S40. My neighbor who rides a Katanna 600 stopped by right after I had just purchased my sky blue beauty. He was like "man why did you buy that little 250cc bike your going to outgrow it"? My reply was simply I liked the way it looked knowing the entire time it packed a h*ll of a punch for a qoute un qoute 250 hahaha. I told him to take her for a spin a let me know how she rides; so he hopped on her and goosed the throttle from a complete stop. When he pulled back into my driveway he was like sh*t that thing has some power. I replied yeah I know its a 650cc the look on his face was priceless. I get more compliments then anything though on how nice the bike looks. I like the fact that people think our thumpers are the underdog it makes prevailing all the more sweet. Keep riding safe and proving why Zuki 650's are the best.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #21 - 06/12/08 at 07:19:52

I am always the little guy in the pack when I am riding with my buddies who all have practically new big twins. The other day though when they all pulled up in front of my house for us all to go for a ride, there were a couple of newbies in the pack and my buddie who rides a M109R 1800cc turns to the newbies and says while pointing to the FireLizard. That is one bad a$$ little bike"

I couldn't help but grin as I was putting on my helmet and when we all took off our little ride I decided to make an honest man of him and rolled the throttle back and left the entire pack in the dust. Needless to say, they were all impressed with the FireLizard's abilities.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Wyldman
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Round Rock, Texas
Reply #22 - 06/12/08 at 07:40:13

I wouldn't worry about it.  Obviously THEY don't know much about the biker world.  Back in the day we rode Triumphs, BSA's and the like that were physically SMALLER than a Savage.  A 650 was considered a BIG bike.  I'm the type that tells that type that I don't give a **** what they think about what I ride.  I don't recommend that to everyone though.  LOL

Lord make me the man my dog thinks I am Smiley
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #23 - 06/12/08 at 09:31:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/11/08 at 18:11:51:
It has long been said that men will purchase what they need to feel adequate. Some buy a porsche, others, a harley.

Pinocchio, he had him a Lumberweenie.

Thats a wooden lamborghini  

Grin Grin Grin

And I thought you meant his... log... trunk

Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/12/08 at 09:33:36

I got Betty respected this morning, everything ok although the front brake pads are gettin thin, so a new set is on the way.

The mechanic was inspecting a Harley when I pulled up, and 2 other Harleys were in the shop (mechanics rides).  They had a nice chat about the big inch V twins they had (and the $ they cost).

I rolled her on in and the mechanic, cocked his head and grunted a bit, asked what she was and nodded appreciatively, Betty is debadged and painted.  After we were done, we had a nice chat about a 650 will do fine, fun, light weight, and better mileage to boot.

Even got a second look when she fired up to leave.
Its good to be respected....

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #25 - 06/12/08 at 12:10:44

Wyldman wrote on 06/12/08 at 07:40:13:
...  Back in the day we rode Triumphs, BSA's and the like that were physically SMALLER than a Savage.  A 650 was considered a BIG bike.

As a teenager in Scotland (Glasgow) in the late 1960's the Norton/Triumph 650s were considered the ultimate dream machines  Cool

I remember spotting the new 750 Commandos with my dad when I was 12 in '67. I still love the sound of 'em.

And the Triumph 650 Bonneville...

IP Logged
zilla
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/12/08 at 13:36:02

Last night I was parked at Subway talking to an old friend. Out of the blue an old lady rolled her window down and asked how much it cost me and if it was "bigger than her old Honda 80?".  I think she liked it.  Undecided

IP Logged
Texasphotographer
YaBB Newbies

Old is better than
the alternative

Copperas Cove, Texas
Reply #27 - 06/12/08 at 18:23:07

My S40 was sitting next to a large Harley complete with windshield and lower body farings that made it look a lot larger.

One of the guys in our Rotary Club said Larry has a teeny bike compared to Kirbys' bike.

I then told him I could fill up my tank at the gas station for under $12.00.   How much do you pay?

He shut up.

I am, however, going to trade my S40 in for a C50T as I want to do a bunch of touring and my 69 year old bottom needs a much softer ride.

I replaced the seat with a Savage Converted one and very little difference there.  I also have a gel seat and an Alaska Leather on top of the converted seat, but its still not comfortable for longer rides.

At least I will still be riding a Boulevard.

I am 69. Need I say more
WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #28 - 06/12/08 at 18:41:25

The C50 is a beautiful bike Smiley

I personally havent seen one prettier ,yet!

Well,the Kawasaki Drifter is pretty nice looking also Wink

http://images.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/xl+2000_kawasaki_drifter_800+ri...

But of course the Savage is the best  Wink Wink Cool

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #29 - 06/12/08 at 19:22:28

thumperclone wrote on 06/11/08 at 21:27:09:
theres some 2k of us on this site how many hardley riders are there?? im still waiting for savage boxers and socks and and and and.....

Savage boxers? Oh, I got those! That's usually after dining out at the local church Ham & Bean Supper!  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:19:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heckled S40 Rider..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.