Send Topic Print
Heckled S40 Rider.. (Read 1435 times)
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Heckled S40 Rider..
06/11/08 at 09:19:53

Hello all, my first post here. Just bought my S40 two weeks ago and love it! Just one prob, I get rode hard by people I work with concerning the size of the bike ( all ride big V-Stars or Harleys ). They dont understand my reasoning behind buying the bike which is the great handling, simplicity, Thumper nostalgia and the great looks of it which I find great assets considering most of my past experience was with Dirt and Enduro bikes, but not a newbie concering street riding either. I have actually been asked was it a "250"? with them being totally serious!. From now on I will answer that it is in the hope someday I will pull up beside them and give them a shock!. Had one Harley guy ( he knew it is a 650 ) I work with ( cant remember what its model name is but I do know its a 1500cc ), we pull out onto the Hwy. and he gooses it and we're up to 70 in no time, I'm in the blind-spot in his mirror so he doesnt see me, he turns his head expecting me to be way behind only to find that I'm just inches behind which is how we started off as..the shock on his face is one I'll never forget!!. I cant say that he used full throttle or not ( he would never admit it if he had )but I do know this....All during that little run I had plenty of throttle left!!. But despite all the heckling of its size, they and plenty others have great respect for its great looks, compliments galore, It gets plenty of stares! Still their ignorance towards bikes ( bigger the better , a real mans bike syndrome ) grates me to no end to the point of wanting to slap the **** out of em.  They dont realize I will kill them going down the windy roads which is in great abundance here and that they are riding boring machines, I've ridden many a big bike and yes to me, THEY'RE BORING IMO. Still totally stock now but slowly gonna work on some modding later on to up performance & sound in my final quest of surprising more than a few folks when opportunity arises. I would love to hear of any similar stories from the community, and maybe some good advice.

Take care

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Re: Heckled S40 Rider..
Reply #1 - 06/11/08 at 10:11:44

I got a lot of static about my thumper too, you know what?, F 'em! I'm having too much fun on my 'Little Red Baron' to deal with their overcompensating for their inadequacies by riding a billet barge. I too will have a bigger bike someday, but that will be for more extended two up riding with the wife. But right now, this bike is perfect for me and my limited riding capabilities. I've noticed lately that since I wrapped my header and added a nice sounding fishtail muffler that speaks with a little authority, I catch them looking at the bike more and saying less disparaging remarks.  Don't let anybody ratshit your ride.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/11/08 at 10:50:05

Rogue Cheddar wrote:

I got a lot of static about my thumper too, you know what?, F 'em! I'm having too much fun on my 'Little Red Baron' to deal with their overcompensating for their inadequacies by riding a billet barge. I too will have a bigger bike someday, but that will be for more extended two up riding with the wife. But right now, this bike is perfect for me and my limited riding capabilities. I've noticed lately that since I wrapped my header and added a nice sounding fishtail muffler that speaks with a little authority, I catch them looking at the bike more and saying less disparaging remarks.  Don't let anybody ratshit your ride.

LOL....funny you mentioned the inadequacies...I did  tell a couple of em " Hey, nice thingy you have there",  thingy wasnt the actual word I used but it all was said after their remark bout my ride. Not sure they really understood the message but then again, I'm dealing with a lot of ignorance here and havent heard anything else from em since  lol. Your nickname for your bike "Red Baron" is ironic, as the real life Red Barons plane was not the fastest plane but the most maneuverable in the skies. Mine is a dark Red too BTW, so I may have to copy that name if you dont mind  haha. I cant blame ya a bit for wanting a bigger bike for 2up purposes, so far my ole lady hasnt been giving me probs with it but then again we havent made a long trip yet and probably never will.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/11/08 at 13:16:25

My hair greyed at an early age, so the old man accross from me always kidded my about it, and I always kid back 'it may be gray, but its still there' he was missing the top half.

My point is, these guys found something to joke with you a bit.  All you need is a good comeback.  Something like 'it's small so I can get around your big fat a$$ and still be on the same road', or as you already know 'yeah it's a wimpy little bike, let's take it on the road and see if your but bling can pull away from it'

And don't fret a bit about it.  Remember, you're a savage rider, independent, think for self kind of guy.  They are a bunch of sheep.

WWW   IP Logged
wrenchbender

wild side of the Great Lk
Reply #4 - 06/11/08 at 13:49:34

Probably everyone here that works with anyone that rides a BIG V Twin has taken smack from their co workers. It's natural ribbing.

When that occurs to me I like to remind them I paid cash for mine when I picked it up and then usually end with "How many payments you got left to go?'

IP Logged
mistereman1
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Texas
Reply #5 - 06/11/08 at 13:50:18

I don't ride the '86 Savage regularly, it's my wife's bike, but when I am out tooling around on it I get nothing but compliments.  People are stunned when I tell them it is old enough to buy a beer and it's a 650!  My wife just loves the darn thing and says the only bike she would trade it for is a new S40.  I like it because we went through several bikes before I found the Savage for her, the reliability is great, no chain to maintain, and in normal riding it keeps up with my FZ6 just fine.  Until people ride one (or get passed by one Cool !!), they have no idea what the Savage is capable of.

1986 Savage
  IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #6 - 06/11/08 at 13:52:49

I too have encountered the bigger is better idiots. But at 49 years old I dont give an obese rodents rectum what they say! I usually tell them if I were as fat as them I would need a bigger bike too. My last bike was a Harley Road King which I put 36,000 miles on riding to work every day and several trips to Colorado,Sturgis, North Carolina, Etc. where I watch the same kind of guys back their bikes off of trailers and drive them threw town thinking they have acomplished something. I live in Lakeland FL, 100 miles from Daytona where I ride to every year for the bike rally and seen the same ones who make fun of me backing their electroglides of trailers. I loved my Road King but I still think I have more fun on my S40. I may not ride it to Sturgis,but then again they said I wouldnt be able to ride my Sportster 800 miles to Smokey mountain national park. Some people buy motorcycles to be seen on, and some of us buy them to see the world from and realize the journey should be enjoyed as much as the destination. So I must agree with everyone else on the bigger is better crowd and say F** em!

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #7 - 06/11/08 at 14:04:16

What's awkward is that in the past 7 or 8 weeks of owning my bike... I've only received compliments like mistereman...

At the gas station filling up, there was a Harley owner (in his Saturn Sky) who had asked about my little "One-Lunger"... When I told him MSRP of $4,300... He stepped back and was like "You can get THAT bike for $4000?" He was a pretty cool guy and said he had a bunch of co-workers who would probably enjoy the S40 because of it's size and price.

The others were a pack of bikers who rode across the river with me on the last ferryboat this side of the Mississippi. 3 Harleys and a Honda, and they all thought it was a cool little bike too.

The best thing? Even with me and the GF on at the same time, it's still only like having 1 regular Harley rider. It's still got enough power, even on the highways.

As said - Don't let them get to you... They don't know what they're missing. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
2000Savage
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 06/11/08 at 14:06:40

I feel your pain, where i work there all HD riders and they refer to the LS650 as a Moped!  I just ignore em and enjoy the ride.  May be there not man enough to ride the SAVAGE!!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/11/08 at 14:49:18

I wish I was so lucky, if these guys called mine a moped i'd follow to hell and back just so I could say their hog couldn't out run a moped.  hehehe   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 06/11/08 at 14:53:34

mo.goad wrote on 06/11/08 at 09:19:53:
 Hello all, my first post here. Just bought my S40 two weeks ago and love it! Just one prob, I get rode hard by people I work with concerning the size of the bike ....

"yeah, it's a bit on the small size...  Undecided

But I don't have to compensate for physical inadequacies.  Roll Eyes "

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 06/11/08 at 18:03:54

I was stopped at a gas station, sucking down a sugar-laden beverage and watching people.  Two guys pulled up next to the bike and were drooling over it. (I just let them.  Drool comes off pretty easilly with soap and water.)  Meanwhile, these two complete dudes pulled up on a pair of Harleys.  They were all decked out and looking pretty.  The one guy started whining to his buddy "Oh man, when I had them do that work the other day, they didn't top off the oil!"  

They paid for their gas and reversed course, presumably to run up to the Harley dealer and have him put some oil in the thing.

If that is what owning a "cool" bike is all about (being confined in range by the proximity of a dealership that can keep your bike sufficiently lubricated to maintain forward motion), I think I'll stick with my homely "little" bike.

Believe it or not, that guy's opinion of my bike wouldn't change my life one bit.  Then again, I don't own any jewelry and the only hat I own is a battered old leather thing that sheds water nicely.  Guess I'm happy just being "plain."

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/11/08 at 18:08:58

When it's my turn to die, I will do it & no one will be able to take my place & die for me.

It is my turn to live, & since no one can die for me, they sure as He77 can't LIVE for me, so shut up, back up & watch me do what I like doing, the way I like doing it.

Got it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/11/08 at 18:11:51

It has long been said that men will purchase what they need to feel adequate. Some buy a porsche, others, a harley.

Pinnochio, he had him a Lumberweenie.

Thats a wooden lamborghini

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 06/11/08 at 21:27:09

theres some 2k of us on this site how many hardley riders are there?? im still waiting for savage boxers and socks and and and and.....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 18:21:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heckled S40 Rider..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.