Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fixed my buzzing speedo, and my carb got mod'd (Read 128 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Fixed my buzzing speedo, and my carb got mod'd
06/10/08 at 22:16:20

"Man, my speedo buzzed once. Last time I carry my cell-phone THERE on vibrate." Grin OK, OK, I just wanted to get that in before anyone else.

I developed the dreaded speedo buzz at about a 1,000 miles. I fixed that by slitting a section of bicycle inner tube down the middle; the same length as the speedo housing opening. The curve of the tube lends itself perfectly to wrapping nice 'n snug around the metal lip of the tank that forms the housing. It was quick, simple, effective; and you wouldn't know it was there unless I pointed it out. In a variety of gears and speeds up to 80 mph, and no buzz. Sorry, I was gonna have pics, but my kids were gone, and they're the only ones that know how to do all that tech stuff. I'm lucky to successfully navigate this forum. Smiley
So the tank is off, and I'm looking at that carb........ I mean, well, I have had some hesitation at 40-45mph around town. It does have a slight pffffth on shut down. The tank is off.............
SO, armed with the tech section of this forum and my Clymers (not much help by the way), I dove in.

Full disclosure: I did not rejet or put on a different exhaust. I like my exhaust note. Yes, it sounds, at best, like a lawn mower or go-cart. Yes, it is heavy compared to other after market exhausts available. Yes I DO like the way the stock muffler looks. Yes, I probably am a little crazy. Wink

Thanks to this forum, it went like clockwork. Well, except for the part where I forgot to put the spring back in before closing everything up, remounting the tank, and firing it back up only to wonder why it wouldn't stay running. You know the spring. The BIG, honking spring under the carb cover that jumps up at you when you finally get the cover crews twisted out. Grin

It did go well though. This forum made all of that possible. Thank you. Without the technical knowledge available here, I would have never undertaken it. Everyone's posted advice and knowhow was right on the money.

Newbies, if it says take the screws out with needlenose vice grips, go out and get some needlenose vicegrips! These guys know what they're talkin' about. The screws in that carb are secured in such a way that it seems they were NOT meant to ever be removed. I not only destroyed the screws securing the cap on the carb, but also the tiny little screws holding the retaining plate on the neddle. They're 3mm by the way, and only ACE carried them.

I went with three 3mm washers, which by my caliper measuments, was almost exactly 2/3's the white spacer. This allowed me to save my white spacer in case I ever want/need to go back to stock. They fit perfectly, without the need for any modification. No sticking, no hanging up. Once again, ACE is the place.......

I also drilled out the brass plug for the idle adjust. In for a penny, in for a pound. Lancer's simple basic carb tuning was the bill to fill the ill for that project. I would be remiss if I also didn't recognize Savage Greg and Savage Wahine. They contribs to the tech section were critical to my success.

Thanks, in fact, to every member of the forum who posted about carbs. The questions helped sometimes almost as much as the answers. My bike runs great. 100 miles post mod, and I've no fart at shut down, no hesitation at 40-45mph around town, and performance is exactly where I want it. In fact, on my trial run after evrything was put back together, I took it out on the freeway and put it through its paces. 85mph was as fast as I got it up to, with throttle to spare (I've no need to go any faster than 75mph). It accelerates briskly. It sounds a little throatier (maybe it's just my imagination). At one point, in 5th gear, on a hill, at 70mph, I passed another car with plenty of throttle left; blowing past them at a quick clip. So far I'm very pleased; but then, I was just happy the thing would run after I put it all back together.  Smiley

All that said, I hope I NEVER have to open the carb up again. I'm pleased with the result, but as I've posted in this forum before; I like riding not wrenching. Hats off to you who do. I jsut want to ride. On the other hand, that seat could be more comfortable. I wonder if I took...............
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Fixed my buzzing speedo, and my carb got mod'd
Reply #1 - 06/11/08 at 04:47:27

[quote author=52594154480909380 link=1213161380/0#0 date=1213161380 On the other hand, that seat could be more comfortable. I wonder if I took...............
Ride safe,
Jay [/quote]

I'm sitting here grinning knowingly to myself.  Grin  Go back to your "Leave it Stock" thread, and see what I told you would happen.  The bug will infect you.  You shouldn't fight it.  Delivered with blank look and outstretched hand: "Come join us in paradise.  The mother ship is arriving soon!"

Glad it went well for you.  When you get around to the seat, let me know.  I'll tell you all the things I learned not to do when I did mine.  Then you won't have to learn it the hard way.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/11/08 at 06:25:07

Thanks Sandy. Yeah, I was thinking of your post when I wrote that. "Make your words soft and sweet, for tommorrow you may have to eat them" also comes to mind. I can't believe the gestation period for this bug is so short! I definately get back with you when I start on the seat (wife rolls her eyes). Smiley
Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 06/11/08 at 18:11:51

Ahhh... what a week of nostalgia this has been for me.  Thanks.  There was a plaque hanging on the wall of my grandpa's old cabin when I was a youngster.  It said:

"Be careful of the words you say
Keep them soft and sweet
You never know from day to day
Which ones you'll have to eat."

Lots of cool memories in that cabin.  Thanks for the reminder.

I took boat loads of pictures when I did that seat.  If they'll help when you get around to it, let me know.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/11/08 at 23:49:08

Sandy,
Glad I could spark a pleasant memory. Still on the fence about the seat. Seems everyone with a mod (except for the sprung solo's) still has comfort issues with their seats. I used to ride a Goldwing. All day easy chair comfort. I just don't know about tearing up a perfectly good, but uncomfortable seat, just to have a tore up, uncomfortable seat. If I decide to take the plunge, though, you will definately be on my call list. Thanks.
Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 06/13/08 at 07:14:56

Jay wrote on 06/11/08 at 23:49:08:
I just don't know about tearing up a perfectly good, but uncomfortable seat, just to have a tore up, uncomfortable seat. If I decide to take the plunge, though, you will definately be on my call list. Thanks.
Ride safe,
Jay

Easy way to fix that, buy an old seat from e-bay and use it to experiment on.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 06/13/08 at 07:34:31

Absolutely right.  That took a lot of the fear out of it for me.  I worked on the seat from my parts bike, then swapped them when it was done.

Now that I know how to do it, I need to come up with something cool to do with the original seat.  I'm thinking a tan cover, maybe.

Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/14/08 at 22:51:22

That's a good idea. I'll peruse the old ebay and see what turns up. That way, if I don't like it, I can alwyas go back to stock. For that matter, I would LOVE to just buy another Savage to use as a parts bike, or Frankenstien model; but I think my wife would know then that I've finally gone off the deep end, and and have me committed. It's hard to ride in a straight jacket. Grin

Sandy, on a seperate note, I noticed you mentioned on another thread that your speedo was buzzing too. I've got over 200 miles on my speedo fix, and still no buzz. Easy as pie, and the only cost would be a cheap bicycle inner tube from Wally-World (actually for me it was zip, as I had an old one in the garage).

I wish I had picks of that fix. My kids were gone and I don't know how to do that stuff. It was sooooo easy, and completely effective. If I'd taken pics, I would've posted in the tech section; it works that well.

Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 06/14/08 at 23:07:11

I really goofed on mine.  I got it to quit buzzing, but I was sloppy.  I used "Lexel" clear silicone under the speedo and got it all over the tank.  Gotta spend a little time with the old thumbnail one of these days.  I did figure out that a little grease on those springs underneath killed the noise.  I think I'll just lube it each time I have the tank off.  That happens often enough that I should stay ahead of the racket.

I like the inner tube idea, though.  When the dreaded 18 hour darkness sets in again, I'll be looking for some projects.  Might make that one of them.

If you can learn to tear apart a carburetor, you can learn to run a digital camera.  Just collar one of the little urchins and make him show you how to do it.  No excuses when the seat is done.   Smiley

Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/15/08 at 01:00:56

When you're right, you're right. I'll have to sit them down and make them show me how it's done. I should've waited for them to get home when I did the inner tube thing.
Sandy, you wouldn't believe how easy and effective it is. I'd used some innertube before, on a buzzing handlebar mounted windscreen. This worked so much better, and it's an almost invisible repair! What you can see of the innertube looks just like it was part of the housing.
OK, next up, learn to take and post pics on the internet!
Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:21:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fixed my buzzing speedo, and my carb got mod'd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.