Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: helmet preference
Reply #75 - 06/16/08 at 05:28:37

I wear either a 3/4 or FF (usually FF) helmet whenever I ride.  I don't consider myself a dork because I choose to wear protective gear but if it makes you feel better about yourself to call me one, suit yourself.  I ride in all seasons and my gear changes somewhat with the anticipated environment.  I use gear because I believe it offers me much better protection in the event of a collision/slide/etc. than I would otherwise have and I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort for what I consider to be greatly improved safety.  I'm not out to convince anyone else to wear gear or not.

Quote:
What we do or prefer is immaterial.  What would you recommend for a new rider?

Having just read the post containing the above quoted text, I have to agree with the sentiment, though personal opinions about safety choices will obviously play into this.  For a new rider, I would recommend at least a 3/4 helmet.  A FF with the LS650 means tilting your head down slightly when checking the speedo (due to its placement) but I don't do that often and it's a quick look anyway.  As mentioned previously, a modular helmet seems to have some excellent points but, never having worn one myself, I can't speak from experience.  Whatever you decide, try the helmet on in the store and walk around with it on while you browse other stuff in the store.  You'll get a better feel for whether it's comfortable for you than just a quick on/off check.  If a helmet is comfortable, you'll be more likely to wear it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Re: helmet preference
Reply #76 - 06/16/08 at 17:51:23

Well said Rob

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:22:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › helmet preference

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.