Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: helmet preference
Reply #60 - 06/14/08 at 21:33:54

Getting back to Jack's original post:
Quote:
... new to riding in general.  Obviously i'm going to need a helmet, but i'm torn about what to get.

... cap for that "cool" look, but part of me wants
... full face helmet so i don't die or destroy my face
.... What do you guys recommend/prefer.....

So what do we have?
1.  New Rider.  Given that being a new rider is a factor in motorcycle accidents, a helmet is probably a good idea.
2.  Cool look, or better protection?  Let's look back at "1.  New Rider.  Given...."

What we do or prefer is immaterial.  What would you recommend for a new rider?

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #61 - 06/14/08 at 22:17:30

I've gotta vote full face.  Get used to handling the machine and watching out for yourself without the distraction of being pelted by bugs and stuff.  Tolerance to that can be acquired after you achieve some degree of skill as a rider.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #62 - 06/15/08 at 00:15:28

If someone wears glasses, the modular helmet, or flip up as some call them, is, IMO, the waaay to go. PLus, if ya feel a sneeze coming on,,, I sometimes just flip the front up & go on in the store, or whatever Im doing. IF its gonna be a short trip, I get tired of taking it off, putting it on,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #63 - 06/15/08 at 07:57:21

I have a full face, and yeah pita with glasses.  Modular will be my next helmet.  My B-I-L has one and is really conveinent.

WWW   IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #64 - 06/15/08 at 09:02:20

Lookin at gettin a skull cap just because it is back roads to and from work and we have a "helmet law". On the highway though, full face, no questions asked. Its better than scraping your brains of the back of a soccer moms caravan because she was on a cell phone and didn't care to look for the motorcycle coming up on her left.

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #65 - 06/15/08 at 10:32:38

Well sometimes you need the gear no matter how dorkie it makes you look, here I am in full gear
  http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1321525/
and this is why I wear all that stuff
  http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1321530/
cause I have four just like this one.
Gear on a motorcycle is optional but you need all you can get when messing around with them. Just wanted to lighten it up a bit Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #66 - 06/15/08 at 11:14:56

Ed, beekeepers are the best kind of dork! Hope your bees stay healthy!

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #67 - 06/15/08 at 11:57:13

i knew this would turn into another debate, thats why i posted the way i did in my first post. i dont mind a debate, but it ends up straying off course, from the original question.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #68 - 06/15/08 at 13:24:18

Just Bee happy while riding and hope you don't get a bee in your helmet, bee it full face or otherwise. I don't know what all the Buzz is about beecause it's your own choice, just bee safe Wink Wink Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #69 - 06/15/08 at 16:29:40

A friend of mine says he will never wear a helmet because he knew someone that was riding and a bee flew in his helmet and he wrecked. So now my friend says that he will never wear a helmet because of that. by the way, the guy that wrecked is still alive today because the helmet that caused him to crash also saved his life. My friend that says he will never wear a helmet also says that he will never ride without leather boots (he was wearing sneakers at the time and came over to my house on his bike). I don't pay alot of attention to anything he says anymore.
AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #70 - 06/15/08 at 17:25:57

That's kind of like saying you'll never go to the bathroom again because you know someone that was sitting on the throne when an earthquake hit and the towel bar hit him in the head.  Sounds like your pal might have already taken a sharp rap on the old noggin, with that kind of reasoning. Grin

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Todd Perry
YaBB Newbies

Straighten up and
fly right....

Orlando, FL
Reply #71 - 06/15/08 at 18:22:23

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/15/08 at 17:25:57:
That's kind of like saying you'll never go to the bathroom again because you know someone that was sitting on the throne when an earthquake hit and the towel bar hit him in the head.

Or my mother, who used to claim that she woudn't wear her seatbelt because it kept her from getting out of the car in a hurry during a crash.....

Two tickets (NY State cops) finally convinced her, but that's a different story.

Which way to the BBQ joint?
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #72 - 06/15/08 at 18:48:04

So Jackhammer, have you decided yet?  Like Paladin hinted a full face might be a better choice to start out and then make your own decision if you want a second helmet.
Happy riding!

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
nhgader
YaBB Newbies

O2BME

Alton, NH
Reply #73 - 06/15/08 at 18:50:32

I live in N.H. and wear a full face helmet although we have no helmet law.

My decision was based on my experience as a skier. I am a highly competent sker and always wear a hemet on the slopes. I consider those who don't either amateurs or just plain dumb. I've taken some pretty good falls on the slopes and have been happy to have had a helmet on.

Seems pavement would be more unforgiving than snow!!! Sad

2009 Silver S40- Stock
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #74 - 06/15/08 at 19:00:42

Todd Perry wrote on 06/15/08 at 18:22:23:
Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/15/08 at 17:25:57:
That's kind of like saying you'll never go to the bathroom again because you know someone that was sitting on the throne when an earthquake hit and the towel bar hit him in the head.

Or my mother, who used to claim that she woudn't wear her seatbelt because it kept her from getting out of the car in a hurry during a crash.....

Two tickets (NY State cops) finally convinced her, but that's a different story.

Although seat belts and helmets are really two different subjects....I have taken care of children who were in coma's due to "seat belts" and my friend had a wreck without a seatbelt on and the insurance adjuster said he would have been killed if he'd had a seat belt on....the impaction through him to the other side of the truck,which saved his life,due to the drivers side was caved in.He walked out of the accident with NO injuries.Other than a mild concussion,which he got over quickly.

I just wanted to mention this,being that all accidents are not the same.I'm sure seatbelts have also saved lives.

So,to each their own. It is in fact "Your Life".

I WILL wear a Helmet,but Trust more in my guardian angel who is always with me Wink
I also know we all have different ideas and feelings/standings on this subject(Helmets and seatbelts).
(And...I am truly sorry for getting off the original question!!!! I do apologize)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:28:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › helmet preference

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.