helmet preference (Read 1021 times)
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Re: helmet preference
Reply #45 - 06/14/08 at 09:57:16

What difference does it make?  Isn't one of the reason we ride is for our individuality?  So who are you to judge what another rider wears?

This thread was doing ok for a helmet thread until a couple of posts ago.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 06/14/08 at 10:16:12

FreeSpirit wrote on 06/14/08 at 09:36:29:
I'm trying to figure out what ATGATT is. Huh Hint?

All The Gear All The Time

Anybody that says dork can't be too cool  Tongue

I don't care what you wear as long as I don't have to get a shovel when you spill.

WWW   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #47 - 06/14/08 at 10:41:59

Personally I think I look like  a dork no matter what I have on but I don't care. Just got my full face helmet for the road trip. WOW!!! Going highway speed is now easy. I knew it would be a difference but had no idea how much. Coming off the highway and sitting at a stop light is no fun but that's the way it goes.

How do those guys ride at 70 mph with no helmet, jacket or long sleeves?  I certainly can't. And I don't feel right on the interstate without full leathers. Are they actually able to see when they stop or do those glass eyeballs self lubricate?

My preference is for full face, full leathers. But that's just me.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #48 - 06/14/08 at 13:58:48

FreeSpirit wrote on 06/14/08 at 09:36:29:
I'm trying to figure out what ATGATT is. Huh Hint?

"All The Gear All The Time."

It means that you are to ride with full protection -- motorcycle boots, motorcycle pants, motorcycle jacket, motorcycle gloves, motorcycle helmet, all with abrasion resistance and armor and padding -- ALL the time.  That three minute run to the corner store?  Add ten minutes to gear up.  

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #49 - 06/14/08 at 14:27:03

ALittlebird wrote on 06/14/08 at 10:41:59:
....How do those guys ride at 70 mph with no helmet, jacket or long sleeves?  I certainly can't.
It's real easy -- you hop on the bike and ride.  It is all a matter of what you are willing to tolerate.

Last Sept. 12th I rolled out of Los Angeles, t-shirt, beanie, goggles.  It was a balmy morning so the leather jacket was packed in the left saddlebag.  When I crossed into Arizona the beanie came off and was stowed between the windscreen and handlebar.  Did 570 miles the first day, about 510 the second.  SPF-45 to block the sun, goggles to block the wind, about as close to heaven as you can get this side of death.

I ride the bike to be out in the elements.  WHY would I want to cover up?

WWW   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #50 - 06/14/08 at 15:49:50

So you do have self lubricating eyeballs.  Smiley

You're one of my heros - you didn't laugh when I asked if I could make a 2000 mile round trip on the Savage - but I still don't see how you do it.

I don't think I like wind that much. I'm sure I'll still have the lovely smells of the outdoors though which is great. Roses, freshly mown grass and skunks.  Love being out of a cage!

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #51 - 06/14/08 at 15:58:43

I read the link Gort posted (near the beginning of this post) and it was very interesting.  I also like to use webbikeworld as a resource for helmet reviews

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

I, personally, have a open face HJC that I like, and I bought a full face for  riding in the evening or in cooler weather, and since it is so comfy, I may just use it daily.  It's a Scorpion exo 400.  Super nice helmet, and excellent pricing.  I also purchased a Bell Sprint, but that helmet was awfully uncomfortable (didn't help that I ordered one size too small)  The Scorpion really did it for me.  Comfy and felt light.  Didn't squish my ears like the Bell helmet did.

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #52 - 06/14/08 at 16:03:48

Good for you Paladin.  Do you ride without eye protection?  If we didn't have a helmet law I'd occasionally ride without.  As it stands I have a shory, that I wear most of the time, and a ff HJC that I wear when it gets below 30 or that I know that it's gonna be raining hard.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #53 - 06/14/08 at 16:23:17

Mr 650 wrote on 06/14/08 at 09:38:15:
Dorks wear all that sh!t, & instead do not ride in summer, because it is too hot.

No. Those with the maturity to realize they call it "pain" for a reason wear that stuff.  Grin

I'm old enough and heal slowly enough that a simple road rash can lay me up for some time. Why should I refuse to shift the odds when it is so easy to do so?

Even though I am older, my brain is still agile enough, and my point of view flexible enough to adopt technological advances. I don't wear leather here in the Nevada summers. Mesh is a great innovation.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #54 - 06/14/08 at 16:41:05

forrest wrote on 06/14/08 at 16:03:48:
Good for you Paladin.  Do you ride without eye protection? ...
Rarely, and then only slowly.  The key to safe riding is to observe everything around you.  This is difficult to do if your eyes are watering from dust or wind.  Prefer goggles for riding, clear or smoked, but also have safety glasses in clear and smoked, and wrap-around sunglasses.  The higher the speed, the greater wind protection is needed -- glasses are marginal above 50, but then, I rarely travel above 50 given my daily commute has a max speed limit of 40.

Road rash, broken bones, etc. all heal.  Eyes don't.

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #55 - 06/14/08 at 19:31:08

Guys, guys, guys, (and gals)

This thread is teetering on the edge of taking a nasty turn. Everyone seems to have pretty strong feelings about THEIR level of protection. The original poster on this thread was looking for information, or consensus. Only he knows for sure.  In the end, everyone has to make the choice that he/she feels best suits them, and keeps Johnny Law off their back.

Perhaps it's best if we consider this issue to be like motor oil and toothpaste. Let's celebrate what we have in common; a love for riding and a love for our Savages. Smiley

Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #56 - 06/14/08 at 19:40:43

Well said. I concur.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #57 - 06/14/08 at 20:14:34

Jay wrote on 06/14/08 at 19:31:08:
Guys, guys, guys, (and gals)

This thread is teetering on the edge of taking a nasty turn. Everyone seems to have pretty strong feelings about THEIR level of protection. The original poster on this thread was looking for information, or consensus. Only he knows for sure.  In the end, everyone has to make the choice that he/she feels best suits them, and keeps Johnny Law off their back.

Perhaps it's best if we consider this issue to be like motor oil and toothpaste. Let's celebrate what we have in common; a love for riding and a love for our Savages. Smiley

Ride safe,
Jay

Thanks for mentioning the gals Smiley
I was almost smart enough to completely stay out of this topic though Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #58 - 06/14/08 at 20:17:25

forrest wrote on 06/14/08 at 16:03:48:
Good for you Paladin.  Do you ride without eye protection?  If we didn't have a helmet law I'd occasionally ride without.  As it stands I have a shory, that I wear most of the time, and a ff HJC that I wear when it gets below 30 or that I know that it's gonna be raining hard.

I tried to ride without a helmet one time....well I did,but never again.

I had so many tangles in my(long) hair I almost never got them all out Roll Eyes

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #59 - 06/14/08 at 21:11:28

ASince I included the particulars, including that the first crash, WITH a helmet woulda sure killt me, I figure my input is well balanced.
The second crash, I managed to not hit my head, but was hospitalized when I broke the handlebars with the thigh/torso area.
The third crash, YES HJC Modular, my face slammed into the cab corner, No helmet> No face, maybe dead, certainly critical, SO, what did we learn>

A helmet CAN Kill you, it can make NO Difference at all & it CAN save your  LIFE, so, YOU do what YOU want. Ive lived thru all 3 & I wear a helmet,  HJC modular.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:29:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › helmet preference

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.