Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
helmet preference (Read 1021 times)
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Re: helmet preference
Reply #30 - 06/11/08 at 22:12:27

pardon me if i have missunderstood... you stated that, "IMO a half helmet is the stupidest dorkiest thing you can wear while riding a motorcycle." after a few of us have stated that we wear em'. this inspired my comment. maybe you are saying that ALL helmets are stupid looking? i suppose i would agree with that... your right about how a person should not give a rats ass what others think of their clothes, thats why i wondered why the hell you would make such a judgement on 1/2 shells right after you said it!

whatever, i can be a bit brash sometimes. sorry. really. i had a bad morning.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 06/11/08 at 22:38:33

Paladin. wrote on 06/11/08 at 15:32:44:
The wind going past the straps next to the ears do cause considerable noise.  When I crossed the state line and could remove the beanie I was also able to remove the ear plugs.  Statement of fact.

As for being dorky looking, again IMO and so stated.  And who CARES what other people think about appearances.  If I had a choice I sure as heck wouldn't be wearing one!

In case you missed this, he wears one.

WWW   IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 06/12/08 at 09:30:41

and i'm sorry he has to wear one. he probably never wore one till the 90's when cali instituted the helmet law. i was there, it sucked. sorry paladin, really. as i was typing my reply to you, i was telling myself not to do it...

btw, in hawaii we don't have to wear one (if your legal) but the DOT 1/2 shell meets the minimum requirement of my girlfriends law of "you want it? then you will wear a helmet."

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #33 - 06/12/08 at 14:15:42

Yeah....   I just would hate to give anyone the impression that the half helmet has anywhere near the protection of a FF or even a 3/4.    IF you are wearing a helmet for skid/impact protection you'll be wanting at least a 3/4, or what was a full helmet back in the early '80's.  If you are wearing a helmet to please others, the half helmet is the lightest least bothersome.

The dorkiest look is the guy wearing a full face helmet, t-shirt, shorts, and sockless tennis shoes.  Anything that means the helmet actually saved his life will have him wishing he was dead.

I am not anti-helmet.  I did wear a helmet pre-mandatory -- when and where I so choosed.  City streets, where the ability to see and hear everything that is happening around me is top priority, I do not need the obstruction of a helmet.  Collision avoidance take precedence over collision survival.   Dirt riding, where falling is normal, always a helmet.  Highway, especially where the bugs fly, a 3/4 with face bubble (the flat shield bumped my nose.)  Also wore a day-glow orange denim jumpsuit that I had for hunting.

WWW   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #34 - 06/13/08 at 02:20:39

Paladin. wrote on 06/12/08 at 14:15:42:
 City streets, where the ability to see and hear everything that is happening around me is top priority, I do not need the obstruction of a helmet.  Collision avoidance take precedence over collision survival.  
Dirt riding, where falling is normal, always a helmet.  
Highway, especially where the bugs fly, a 3/4 with face bubble
I really have to agree with the point on visibility, and priority of avoidance over survivability.  I'd much rather see a car over my shoulder and avoid it than fail to see it because I'm looking through the tank slot of a full face helmet, and later have to convince myself to be thankful the same helmet then saved my brain.

When riding sport bikes with full face, I've mostly had Shoei helmets which have a wide aperture and good vision. I had an Arai once and it was like looking through a telescope - sometimes had to let go of one of the bars to look over my shoulder.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #35 - 06/13/08 at 05:40:54

First & second bikes I totalled, no helmet. First one, IF I had been wearing one, I woulda died. Landed on Right side of my head, floded it over so hard it cracked 3 vertebrae, I recently discovered. A helmet would have been a fulcrum, badly broken neck, the result.
Second one, no head injuries at all, but the hematoma from breaking the Ducati bars on my Kawa 750 in the soft spot of the thigh, torso intersection landed me in the hospital for 4 days. Doc was afraid I might lose my leg, so I was in for observation. I walked a mile or so to a friends house after the crash & hung out a few hours before goin to the ER, I was young,, yea, I remember.
The last total I had, was wearing an HJC modular. Slammed my face in the back of a pickup truck cab after hitting the drivers side. He was turning left & was unable to not hit him. The chinstrap pressed in so hard it took 3 weeks to swallow normally. Split my upper lip.but, when I woke up, I called friends & helped load the bike on the trailer. Helped tie it down & waited about 9 hours to go to ER. Any design helmet other than full face protection & I would have been a major medical emergency or worse.

Helmets? They can kill, they be a non issue, or they can save great pain or death. Ive been thru 3 major crashes, 2 no helmet, 1 with. YOU do what YOU believe is best for YOU as soon as you are done gathering information.
Me? I wear leather chaps when its 100+ degrees & a long sleeved shirt, heavy cotton & a helmet, full coverage, & gloves.

In the end, Ya pays yer money & ya takes yer chances. I hope the decision you make is the right one. No one really knows what that is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #36 - 06/13/08 at 13:33:23

I don't wear a helmet. But if I did, I would get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Black-Helmet-for-Motorcycle-scooter-vespa-moto_W0...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Haunted-Motorcycle-Helmets-Helmet_W0QQ...

P.S.

Da*n Justin o guy, your tuff.  Three crashes with no helmet and still riding. Nice!

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #37 - 06/13/08 at 18:52:57

i always considered the bug hits and stains in your teeth, a rite of passage for mc riders.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #38 - 06/13/08 at 19:51:55

rigidchop wrote on 06/13/08 at 18:52:57:
i always considered the bug hits and stains in your teeth, a rite of passage for mc riders.

Bug hits don't bother me, but different people have different tolerance levels.  Scraping a little skin off may also considered to be a rite of passage for a rider -- or something too trivial to mention.  We all have our own individual level of acceptance of risks versus benefits.

WWW   IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #39 - 06/13/08 at 20:07:10

I ride without one in Houston i't really doesnt matter what you wear you probably will not survive and if you did the car jamed up your a$$ will finish you off. The way i see it I could have been shot in the head everyday I was in Iraq and if its my time its my time.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #40 - 06/13/08 at 20:17:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/13/08 at 05:40:54:
First & second bikes I totalled, no helmet.....
The last total I had, was wearing an HJC modular... Any design helmet other than full face protection & I would have been a major medical emergency or worse.

People stating what they have survived with or without protection is of little value without the matching imput from those who did not survive.  For that we can look at statistics -- which are inconclusive.  Helmet preference depends on your state law, and your personal bias.  Me? I'm a no compromise type of guy, all or nothing.  IMHO, if you choose to wear a helmet, a modern full face gives the way to go.

WWW   IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #41 - 06/13/08 at 20:23:37

when I do wear one its a Skull cap So i'm more aware of my surroundings

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #42 - 06/14/08 at 08:41:52

When I see someone wearing a full face I think "smart", when I see a skull-cap I think "dork".
ATGATT.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #43 - 06/14/08 at 09:36:29

Starlifter wrote on 06/14/08 at 08:41:52:
When I see someone wearing a full face I think "smart", when I see a skull-cap I think "dork".
ATGATT.

I'm trying to figure out what ATGATT is. Huh Hint?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #44 - 06/14/08 at 09:38:15

Dorks wear all that sh!t, & instead do not ride in summer, because it is too hot.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:21:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › helmet preference

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.