Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: helmet preference
Reply #15 - 06/10/08 at 21:21:36

Jackhammer wrote on 06/10/08 at 12:10:05:
...Obviously i'm going to need a helmet
... "cool" look... don't die or destroy my face...look like a dork
Since you don't state where you are at, not obvious.  Half the U.S. population live where helmets are purely optional.  NEVER dress or do to please others (except for your spouse.)  If you think a helmet will protect you stop riding now -- well over half the people who died riding motorcyles were wearing DOT approved helmets.  A helmet offers a marginal improvement is collision survivability which is totally negated if you ride faster/more careless.  IMHO, if you wear a helmet to "not die" and/or to "not destroy your face" you should not be riding.  If you have a collision the odds are that you will be hurt.  If you are not willing to accept being hurt then you must avoid collisions at all costs -- which means not riding.

A helmet adds weight to the head in return for protection to the head.  You, and only you, should decide how much weight you are willing to endure for how much protection.  As others state, a FF helmet/shield is rather neat if you ride where flying bugs are a problem.  Striking a flying beetle at 60 mph is painful at best.   Above 30 mph raindrops become solid and try to poke holes in your face.

The straps of a half helmet cause increased wind noise.  IMO, a half helmet is useful for complying with the law and not much else.  IMO a half helmet is the stupidest dorkiest thing you can wear while riding a motorcycle -- if you give a rats' pattouie about what other's think; which you should not.

WWW   IP Logged
Seth
YaBB Newbies

Indianapolis
Reply #16 - 06/10/08 at 21:45:10

... [/quote]well over half the people who died riding motorcyles were wearing DOT approved helmets.  A helmet offers a marginal improvement is collision survivability which is totally negated if you ride faster/more careless.  IMHO, if you wear a helmet to "not die" and/or to "not destroy your face" you should not be riding.  If you have a collision the odds are that you will be hurt. [/quote]

I do agree with your statement that helmets offer little protection in a collision, however, you do have to consider laying the bike down...over the front, it's iffy, off the back or to the sides, it will do a lot more to protect your head than not having one or a half shell...of course, if you get your head run over after you come off the bike by a car, then yeah, you're kinda screwed on that one! Grin

01 Savage 650, 01 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD with mods, 72 Jeepster Commando.
  IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #17 - 06/10/08 at 22:44:04

I have a full face modular.  First week I was riding a large bug hit the face shield.  I was going 55 mph the bug ??? All I know is it hit me hard enough to actually move my head.  If I was not wearing a helmet I would have wrecked..... Undecided

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #18 - 06/10/08 at 23:05:17

You asked what we wear. For the record I wear a full face.
You've been given a lot of good, useful information here. The most important being to do what YOU are comfortable with, and what will suit YOUR riding conditions. Take only the risks you are comfortable with, and be considerate of your loved ones. Be inconsiderate of what anyone else, besides your loved ones, thinks of your choices.
As you mention you are also new to motorcyling, may I humbly suggest you take a MSF riders course. It will be the best money you have ever spent.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #19 - 06/11/08 at 07:00:10

I wear full face on my sports bikes and open face on cruisers, mostly because I only ride low-ish speeds round town on the naked framed bikes.
Must admit I enjoy the feel of the wind in the face and round the ears at low/medium speed on a warm day - I have a chromed WWII German helmet which would offer hardly any protection but is really comfortable, let lots of air through, and makes me laugh.  If our laws weren’t so strict, I’d just wear goggles or wraparound shades in good weather for local trips.

I know there’s still risk of accident at low speed, but I balance the risk against the pleasure – if I didn’t do that, I wouldn’t throw my leg over a bike in the first place.

Weight and level of protection/crash survivability were mentioned above.

I'm yet to notice the weight of a helmet for comfort.  As for crash protection, yes, a lot of people still die when they get it wrong on a bike, but helmets aren’t designed to prevent you being squished under a truck, they stop you from getting brain damage when you head bang the tarmac coming off - the foam lining is designed to absorb those kind of shocks, and what they prevent is brain damage from low speed tumbled where people go over the bars or high side the bike and plant their head onto the road.  Those sideways knocks cause bleeds which kill or disable, but with shock-absorbent polystyrene helmet inners, a lot of people are laughing and riding today who would be dead or in wheelchairs otherwise.  

I also have had at least 3 helmets deeply scuffed from where I’ve been down the road, in tumbles at 40, 60 and over 100mph from sports bikes, and in each case it’s just been some paint and fibreglass, not flesh, that’s been left on the tarmac.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 06/11/08 at 07:09:00

If helmets didn't work football players wouldn't use them,thats the way I see it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #21 - 06/11/08 at 07:24:15

My preference, so far, is a 3/4 Scorpion with a full face shield.  The shield flips up easily for ventilation when stopped at a light on a hot day, or if going thru a neighborhood at 30 mph.

I'm biased to 3/4 because you have unrestricted peripheral vision.

Also, the full face shield protects from the nasty big bugs - I've hit them.

Saying all of that, I may try a modular.  I would like the chin area protection.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
savageguy
YaBB Newbies

Newb

Reply #22 - 06/11/08 at 08:19:53

Thought I'd throw in my $0.02 as another extremely new rider.

I'd love to get a half helmet or something smaller.  I agree that the wind rushing past my face would be awesome.  Since I started riding regularly, it's been 90-100 degrees daily but I wear a full-face helmet.  Why?  I kind of figure my chances of a low speed wipe out, especially while I'm still learning/growing my abilities and figuring out the abilities of my first bike, are higher than normal right now.  It's still a risky activity but I'd like to minimize my risks as much as possible.

If you decide to buy a full face, I strongly recommend shopping around extensively.  Travel to several dealerships/shops and try on as many helmets as you can.  The first few I put on were horribly uncomfortable for my head shape (very big and round).  Even the high end ones (Shoei, Arai) I tried made me feel like I was cramming my melon into a vice.  After trying on multiple models and multiple brands I found one that fits like a glove and is very comfy.  Every head is different, so just go with what works for you.  It took me three stores and umpteen helmets before I found one that didn't feel hot, stuffy or cramped but it was well worth the search.  I barely notice it while I'm riding around.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #23 - 06/11/08 at 08:25:43

Misterdub -

What brand did you buy?  I have the same problem - big head<g>.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #24 - 06/11/08 at 09:20:19

We did an overnight in Philadelphia last week, took the car as it was a hospital visit. Walking around the city during our spare time, I began to see riders sans helmets. I forgot that in PA. you could ride without a lid. It brought me back to the old days when I started riding, some 27 years ago in NY. A pack of us used to ride down the Parkway in NJ, hop on the ferry to Delaware, remove our helmets and ride through Delaware, into Maryland. A very liberating experience for a young man riding in a state with helmet laws.

I couldn't agree more with going to a shop to try on lids. Myself, I'm wearing a 1/2 helmet with goggles at night or when it's cold, but must admit that I'm close to buying a 3/4 with full visor, or even full face for highway riding. The modular's look interesting as well.

Yes, I still seek that liberating feeling of riding without a helmet, and will always support the riders right to choose, but I kind of like my face the way it is. Then again, at 102 degrees yesterday, I don't know what would be more dangerous, wearing a full face would seemed to have had been a suffocating experience, perhaps causing a rider to pass out.

So yes, as mentioned, its a personal decision that only the rider can make. There's nothing wrong with owning a few helmets  to choose from depending on the ride you're going to take.

FSO
  IP Logged
savageguy
YaBB Newbies

Newb

Reply #25 - 06/11/08 at 10:00:33

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 06/11/08 at 08:25:43:
Misterdub -

What brand did you buy?  I have the same problem - big head<g>.

The Scorpion EXO-400 XXL.  They run a size smaller than the other brands I've tried.  When I tried on the Shoei, I was swimming in a XXL but the XL was too tight.  The EXO-400 XXL fits very snugly without feeling like a vice grip.

Also, they have interchangeable cheek pads which was a big selling point for me (since like I said, I have a very round head).  But as yet, I haven't needed to buy them.  I let the helmet break-in like the guy in the shop said and the cheek pads are perfect now.

Without sounding like an ad for them, it's very comfortable and seems to have pretty good ventilation.  I've read they're a little noisier than Shoei or Arai but I have no personal point of comparison (this is my first helmet) so it's perfectly acceptable to me.  And I've been wearing them in the 90-100 degree weather we've been having in the DC area as of late and I sweat but the wicking liner does as advertised and keeps me dry, so I don't really notice the heat at all.  Again, not sure how this "wicking" compares to others but I love the helmet.

Edit: One more thing to note about the noise, I'm also still in "local road" mode.  I haven't ventured out onto highways yet, so I've only hit 45mph.  Not sure if there would be a big difference between that and highway speeds but I thought I'd mention it.  If you look around online, noise is really the only complaint I've found about the Scorpion.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #26 - 06/11/08 at 10:12:57

Misterdub -

Thanks.  I have the Scorpion 3/4, size XXL, and it's very comfy too.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #27 - 06/11/08 at 10:56:21

I wear a full-face and I was really glad when one of these http://www.cicado.com/cicada-top.JPG caught me just above the left eye on the way home from work Monday.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 06/11/08 at 11:00:40

Paladin. wrote on 06/10/08 at 21:21:36:
Jackhammer wrote on 06/10/08 at 12:10:05:
...Obviously i'm going to need a helmet
... "cool" look... don't die or destroy my face...look like a dork
Since you don't state where you are at, not obvious.  Half the U.S. population live where helmets are purely optional.  NEVER dress or do to please others (except for your spouse.)  If you think a helmet will protect you stop riding now -- well over half the people who died riding motorcyles were wearing DOT approved helmets.  A helmet offers a marginal improvement is collision survivability which is totally negated if you ride faster/more careless.  IMHO, if you wear a helmet to "not die" and/or to "not destroy your face" you should not be riding.  If you have a collision the odds are that you will be hurt.  If you are not willing to accept being hurt then you must avoid collisions at all costs -- which means not riding.

A helmet adds weight to the head in return for protection to the head.  You, and only you, should decide how much weight you are willing to endure for how much protection.  As others state, a FF helmet/shield is rather neat if you ride where flying bugs are a problem.  Striking a flying beetle at 60 mph is painful at best.   Above 30 mph raindrops become solid and try to poke holes in your face.

The straps of a half helmet cause increased wind noise.  IMO, a half helmet is useful for complying with the law and not much else.  IMO a half helmet is the stupidest dorkiest thing you can wear while riding a motorcycle -- if you give a rats' pattouie about what other's think; which you should not.

paladin, i was really impressed with you statements concerning, "a helmet will not keep you from dieing and if your concerned about dieing, then don't ride a motorcycle", but your little tirade about 1/2 shells at the end makes me want to punch you in the face.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #29 - 06/11/08 at 15:32:44

dropoutjohn wrote on 06/11/08 at 11:00:40:
paladin, i was really impressed with you statements concerning, "a helmet will not keep you from dieing and if your concerned about dieing, then don't ride a motorcycle", but your little tirade about 1/2 shells at the end makes me want to punch you in the face.

You're welcomed to do so, but be warned that I have never fought 'fair'.

I am curious as to what you consider a "tirade" and what part you take such objection to.

The wind going past the straps next to the ears do cause considerable noise.  When I crossed the state line and could remove the beanie I was also able to remove the ear plugs.  Statement of fact.

I would think that it is obvious that the 1/2 helmet AKA DOT Beanie is simply something to comply with the letter of the law while being as small and light as possible.    It might not be obvious to others, so I prefaced that with an IMO (In My Opinion.)   The protection of a beanie is marginal at best.  You drop and slide with a beanie and if your head is sideways you'll grind your ears off, face down slide you can kiss your face goodbye.    A goatskin WWI style aviation helmet would likely provide more protection.   A 3/4 helmet is only marginally heavier and provides a lot more protection -- which is probably why the cops wear them instead of beanies.

As for being dorky looking, again IMO and so stated.  And who CARES what other people think about appearances.  If I had a choice I sure as heck wouldn't be wearing one!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:17:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › helmet preference

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.