helmet preference (Read 1021 times)
Jackhammer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

helmet preference
06/10/08 at 12:10:05

Hey guys,

I am new to the Savage and new to riding in general.
Obviously i'm going to need a helmet, but i'm torn about what to get.
Part of me wants just a cap for that "cool" look, but part of me wants
a full face helmet so i don't die or destroy my face.... What do you guys recommend/prefer.  I also don't want to look like a dork on my new savage......  Thoughts?
Thanks guys,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: helmet preference
Reply #1 - 06/10/08 at 12:19:29

Helmet war part II

Safety, protection - full face

Cool - skull cap

The choice is yours

WWW   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #2 - 06/10/08 at 12:19:34

It's really up to you. I ride with a full face helmet only because I had some bad experiences with my half-helmet. While I was riding home one night, I didn't see a low tree branch sticking out onto the road. I was looking down to see how fast I was going and looked up only to be smacked in the face with about 20 leaves. Now I always wear a full face helmet, just to be sure. But every now and then when the temperature is above 90 I wear the half-helmet just to be more comfortable.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 06/10/08 at 12:21:30

My preference is WW2 pilot cap with goggles,But with a windshield I where a open face without windshield full face.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #4 - 06/10/08 at 13:08:28

Helmet?  You don't need no stinkin' helmet!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #5 - 06/10/08 at 13:16:20

full face for me, I see to many bike wrecks at work, the world would be safe if thre were no cars. Today was bike vs deer with a tib/fib fx. that will heal but a broke brain is a pain.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/10/08 at 14:37:03

$10 head use $10 helmet or none

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #7 - 06/10/08 at 14:39:39

you really shouldn't ask others what they think YOU should do for personal safety. in the end its your choice, and melon.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/10/08 at 16:00:08

i love my 3/4 helmet. keeps out wind noise and feels safe but still that open wind in your face feel. but you can also get a shield if you need it.

IP Logged
Charlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Galt, CA
Reply #9 - 06/10/08 at 16:30:12

Modular for me, for you who knows. Seeing as how you're asking our opinions though... If you're new to riding, go with a full face helmet. Better safe than sorry.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/10/08 at 17:57:33

IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/10/08 at 18:28:39

i wear a 1/2 shell and i know it's dangerous but at least it's a carbon fiber kevlar reinforced shell with eps foam inside. it's supposedly DOT...

i have been contemplating a full face one lately though now that they are smaller and lighter... but i like the wind in my face... full face helmets make me fell like i'm watching a helmet cam video instead of actually riding. does that make sense? Huh

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #12 - 06/10/08 at 19:39:28

I will occasionally take a short ride with no helmet.  When I do, I always wish I'd put on my full-face.  The wind bugs my eyes, and the bugs HURT when the thwack me in the forehead.  We have bigger bugs here in Montana than the rest of the world, though.

EDIT:  Oh, and as far as looking cool... The Savage will take care of that for you.  All you gotta do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
saratovich

Reply #13 - 06/10/08 at 19:48:31

Basically, a helmet is designed to provide the wearer with abrasion and moderate impact protection. Combined with a shield, it deflects small road debris and bugs.

I wear all the gear all the time, which includes a full face helmet. I don't like all the hot, heavy gear and suiting up is a pain . . .

However, when the alternative is skin grafts and facial reconstruction, for me, it's a no brainer.

Good luck in your quest.

IP Logged
Seth
YaBB Newbies

Indianapolis
Reply #14 - 06/10/08 at 20:47:02

My first bike I laid down, wearing a full face helmet.  I was new to riding, gunned it a little too hard coming onto a 4 lane highway, and hit a patch of gravel.  I laid the bike down hard, hit the back of my head, rolled, bounced my chin off the asphalt, and got up and walked away with a little bit of road rash on my legs and hands, since I was wearing jeans, boots, and my hard leather jacket also.  When I got a chance to look at my helmet, it was cracked in the center of the chin guard, and a large crack all the way up the back of the helmet.  That was enough to convince me to ride with a full face all the time.  Plus, it really sucks when you get hit in the face with a bumblebee going 45-50 mph down the road, cause you don't have your face shield on....but hey, it's your head, your cash, just my 2 cents... Undecided

01 Savage 650, 01 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD with mods, 72 Jeepster Commando.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:23:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › helmet preference

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.