Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Running funny
Reply #15 - 06/10/08 at 04:54:51

I think I would look at the bill/receipt and if it's itemized, tell us what all they did in this "service."  It sounds like something didn't get put back together right, if it ran fine on the way there and rough on the way home.

If you are convinced it is bad gas, get rid of it.  See Savage Wahine's write-up on cleaning the carb.  I believe that is where there is a good photo of draining the tank.  Basically, you just remove the fuel line from the carb, stick the end in the spout of a gas can, and turn the petcock to prime.  Then drain the carb as well and fill 'er back up.  If that doesn't fix the problem, we'll take it from there.

There are guys in here that can fix your bike by remote control.  As for having nothing but the Clymers to stare at, you are much more fortunate than that.  I have yet to pick one up.  I downloaded the one online, but I've only looked at it a couple of times.  The write-ups on this site, with photos, and advice in "people speak" have set me safely on the proper path several times.

I gotta get to work.  Good luck, and I'll be checking in tonight to see how it's going for you.  I'll bet you're smiling by then.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #16 - 06/10/08 at 09:26:17

Drained the bowl this morning but didn't see any water. Had the devil of a time getting it started. Didn't want ot start in normal or prime position or with chock pulled one notch. Engine would turn over but no throttle. Finally did get it on normal setting - had to set the idle a little higher since it didn't want to idle.

You know they did snap the throttle tube and did a temp fix on it - would that cause some of the problems with the bad gas?

I will drain the tank tonight or have them do it on the way home. Hopefully that is all it is. I got it from a station that is heavily used although I won't go there again.

Still running rough on the way to work.

It is cooler this morning so heat wasn't a factor.

I looked at the bill - doesn't look like they did much of anything. Changed the oil and a T/C check but I'm pretty sure they didn't pull the tank and check the plug.

This is why I have always done things myself. I will learn as quickly as possible.

2 hours sleep last night so I'm a little buggy at work. I really need to get out of Louisville and make this trip on more than one level. Will post more this evening after they drain the tank. They screwed up they can drain it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 06/10/08 at 10:46:32

not knowing exactly what they did to the throttle cable makes it hard, but that could be whats wrong with your idle setting.  Who knows, could be the whole problem.

If they messed with the plug, could be an issue too, replace it.  A few have had problems after replacing the plug and fixed it with a new plug or reinstalling the old one.

And I'd do a SW carb clean (can't hurt)

Since you got a new problem after they worked on it, they should be responsible for fixing it, or at least what they broke.

If you're desperate for a throttle cable, I bought a collection, might have one.

WWW   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #18 - 06/11/08 at 16:46:31

I'm back... it looks like the problem was at least 98% bad gas with water in it. I looked back at my records - I'm anal retentive on some days - and noticed the last time I had water issues I'd gotten gas at the same Speedway. It's a high volume station but there is something up.

Seems to be OK now. I'll ride it hard the next few days and see if anything shows up.

Thanks Verslagen for the throttle tube offer. They have fixed it to be fine until I get back. Supposedly. Then they will put on a whole new one. If they don't I'll pm you for a price.

As long as the weather tames down I'm going on the trip. I'll have to watch that carefully since it's not been good the direction I'm going and it doesn't appear to be slowing down.

If the right size VIsta Cruise comes in before I leave they will get that on for me - that's how they snapped the throttle tube. Perhaps ti was waiting to go anyway. Who knows.

No one seems to understand just how badly I need to make this trip. I'm past ready.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll be on the road next Tuesday with a big grin on my face.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 06/11/08 at 17:06:21

Wow....interesting,the station where I got water in gas was.....a Speedway station!!!!!!!!!!

I do not get gas there anymore.

Glad you got it fixed!!!!!
(hope you have!)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #20 - 06/11/08 at 17:37:43

Oooo, now that's really interesting!! Perhaps it's in the tankers delivering the gas.

Bad enough we have to pay $4 a gallon - worse when it's not good.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #21 - 06/11/08 at 17:46:52

My grandpa loves to tell stories about his trucking days.  One is about an old coot that pulled up to the pumps, got out, and told the attendant "Just put straight gas in her.  I'll add my own water when I get her home." Grin

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #22 - 06/11/08 at 18:43:06

Ah, the good old days. Sad when we have to pay this much for gas and no one comes out anymore to clean off the windscreen or ask if we'd like an  oil check. it would take the sting out of the price if I actually got service.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #23 - 06/11/08 at 18:46:56

Yeah.  I feel like I'm getting "serviced" every time I fill up.   But I'll bet that isn't what you meant, huh?

ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #24 - 06/12/08 at 02:16:25

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home