Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LED turn signals (Read 174 times)
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
LED turn signals
06/07/08 at 16:08:55

I have searched the site and am now more confused then before, after reading about load, resistors, parallel, series, flasher, amps, volts. Enough.

I went to the auto part store and told them my problem. I installed 2 led signals and now there is no flash, only steady on. The guy had no clue. I asked about an electronic flasher vs. a thermal one and he still had no clue.

I went to Radio Shack and again told them of my problem. Again he had no clue. I said something about resistors and he perked up, opening a drawer. He asked me what the draw was on my led's and I had no clue. He asked the volts of the leds and I still had no clue.

Can someone please help me get this to work? Electronics might as well be a foreign language to me. Isn't there an electronic flasher I can buy at a store w/o doing it over the internet?

IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Re: LED turn signals
Reply #1 - 06/07/08 at 16:13:17

I installed an Led taillight with built in turn signals and it worked fine, just sped them up a little. Are you sure you wired it right and have a good ground?

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/07/08 at 16:38:38

I haven't tested it, but this is claimed to be your solution....
http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/FLASHER_RELAY/flasher_relay.htm#elfr1

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 06/07/08 at 16:38:38

Autoparts store get an electronic flasher.Autozone sucks,if it aint in the computer they're clueless.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 06/07/08 at 18:09:26

I asked about that as I had read that online. The guy there had no idea what the difference was between an electronic and thermal flasher. He then asks another employee who then says "you lost me after the word motorcycle".

I looked at the flashers they had on the shelf but there were different sizes and types of course. I imagine it would matter the type of electronic flasher I choose?

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 06/07/08 at 18:28:19

you could use a load equalizer like one of these

http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm#Universal%20Turn%20Signal

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 06/08/08 at 09:24:47

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 06/07/08 at 18:28:19:
you could use a load equalizer like one of these

http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm#Universal%20Turn%20Signal
if yopu go with an electroinc flasher (2 prong)youll have to fab a mount but if you change all four t.s. to leds youll be covered...savavge greg i believe used load equalizers on his conversion...check jpcycles they have load equilizers...dual and quad...btw your leds are 12 volt but that wont help the guy at R.S.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 06/08/08 at 20:19:51

Thanks for the info. I will look into a flasher. Seems the easiest fix for me.

IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #8 - 06/09/08 at 05:10:52

I haven't tested it, but this is claimed to be your solution....
http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/FLASHER_RELAY/flasher_relay.htm#elfr1

I used that electronic flasher on my bike, and I plan to install one on the Savage soon.  It is a good alternative to a load equalizer and works well.

Remember that, when doing these conversions, you lose the safety feature of the stop-flash / fast-flash built into the OEM systems. That means that you will have no indication if a lamp fails.  Presumably, the LED lamps last a LOT longer than the incandescent ones, but everything breaks eventually.  Be sure you check all your turn signals before your ride - every time.

Sometimes, there are issues with power back-feeding across the rider indicators when doing LED conversions (because LED circuits have relativelyl high DC resistance) but the Savage has seperate turn-signal indicators for the rider, and so I doubt this will be an issue.

Do yourself a favor and find / replace the OEM flasher before doing anything to the lights (if you choose that route).  Then, test the installation before you begin replacing the OEM lamps with the LEDs (and immediately after changing EACH ONE).  That will save you a LOT of hair-pulling, becuase you will KNOW where the problem is if one suddenly crops up.

Finally, I am sure you've figured this out by now, but you'll not likely get any help from Radio Shack or Autozone - the RS guys are not even trained in electronics anymore.

Good luck.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:31:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED turn signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!