Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
&(^*^!#^$% timing cover (Read 135 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
&(^*^!#^$% timing cover
06/06/08 at 12:13:10

I finally worked up a big enough set to tackle the valve inspection.  I got all my tools handy and started to remove the seat.  Then I got to thinking... It would be the pits to get the spark plug out and then not be able to remove this fancy timing inspection plug I've heard so many good things about.  So I tried it.  Sure enough, it is stuck solid.

I tried a washer, which promptly bent.  So I sandwiched a washer between two others with their edges ground flat, and it bent.  I know I just read a thread about this the other day, but I can't find it, and I don't know if anything was resolved anyway.

By the way, the plug on the parts bike came right out, which does me no good.  But at least I'm sure it can be done.

So, once again... What to do now?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: &(^*^!#^$% timing cover
Reply #1 - 06/06/08 at 12:34:42

Check with your local motorcycle place for a Timing Plug Wrench.. like this Timing Plug Wrench

You can also do a search through the forums for Timing Plug.. others have had luck with various work arounds.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/06/08 at 12:41:26

Why o' why can't they make those things take an allen wrench!?

Well,... first make sure and get some penetrating oil in there, then see if you have a butter knife with a decent curve on the blade (they're usually made of stiffer stuff than washers), then get a vice grip on it and pray.

good luck

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/06/08 at 12:48:37

This one worked for me, but didn't do it until after my plug looked like sh!t.

Take 2 big same length screw drivers and a cresant wrench.  Place the screwdrivers in the slot as far apart and still can be grabbed by the cresant wrench.  Hold the handles with one hand and twist with the cresant wrench.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 06/06/08 at 12:58:17

Thanks for all the replies.  I got it.

I took a 1" spade bit (those flat wood boring bits for any non-carpenter types) and ground the end into a slight curve.  Put a channel lock on it and gave my best caveman grunt.  It came out.  When it started to move, it felt like the resistance was in the rubber O-ring instead of the threads.  Don't ask how I'd know that.  It was just the impression I got.  Guess I won't tighten it much when I put it back in.

Now on to the scary part.  The valves.

Thanks again

Jason.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/06/08 at 13:07:46

Hmmm, those can be gotten rather cheaply, I'll put that in the memmory bank, thanks.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #6 - 06/06/08 at 13:11:43

verslagen1 wrote on 06/06/08 at 13:07:46:
Hmmm, those can be gotten rather cheaply, I'll put that in the memmory bank, thanks.   Grin

Yeah..and fits in the tool pouch!  Not bad at all!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 06/06/08 at 13:21:31

Yep.  This one was part of a zillion part bit set that Costco had on sale a few years back for about $30.  The box they came in was worth every penny, too.  1/2 the bits are stamped "Made in ina"  The "Ch" guy must not have come to work that day.  

Anyway, the bit set just paid for itself.  Finally. Smiley

shermeco

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/06/08 at 14:44:09

I  got a really big screwdriver from harbor freight worked great!

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 06/06/08 at 17:57:53

Well, the job is done!  Yay for my team!  I'm glad I went and checked them too, because I couldn't get a 2 mil feeler gauge in them when I started.  Now they are all at 3 1/2 - 4 mil.  

It wasn't painful at all, but tedious.  I'd get them set, tighten the nut, and they'd be too loose, then too tight.  And I think my feelers were built for a bigger working space.  It's pretty tight in there.  Oh well, now I have one less thing to worry about on the way to Philipsburgh. Smiley

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 06/06/08 at 18:13:06

.003-.004 inch right ?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 06/06/08 at 18:22:10

Yup.  Sorry.  Sometimes the carpenter in me leaks out.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 06/06/08 at 18:46:00

of course 3-4 mils is correct also - was just looking for clarity - no idea how often these valves get set to say .012 " instead of .012 mm - folks that have done this sure report the engine clicks a little bit Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/07/08 at 01:07:21

The washer I use is so thick it barely fits in the groove & is large enough that I have to file the thing down to fit the curve of the groove. In Other words, It Fits the Slot very nicely. A washer 1/16th thick aint the answer, even if ya do make a steel sammich widditt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/07/08 at 01:10:45

OHHHH Yea, After all the "My timing cover wont come out" threads, I went & checked. Mine came right out & Yea, I DO give it that little extra after it stops, BUT,, mine is all slimey with antisieze, so the aluminum threads never get a chance to gall onto the mating threads.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:21:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › &(^*^!#^$% timing cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.