Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Won't start! (Read 145 times)
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Won't start!
06/06/08 at 05:40:52

Tried to start my bike yesterday, fired once and then nothing (starter ok)

I checked I was getting fuel through the petc0ck on PRI - only a tiny dribble! I blew back up the hose and then got a good flow. I've now installed the petc0ck off my spares bike and fuel seems ok now, getting a good steady flow on PRI.

Bike is still not firing at all. Looks like the carb is the next thing to look at. I've not opened up a carb before so I'm hoping there might be a way of checking it's operation without stripping it all down.

eg is it worth draining the float bowl while it's stilll on the bike and then letting it refill? Is this likely to tell me anything? Is there any way of telling if fuel is getting all the way through the carb?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Won't start!
Reply #1 - 06/06/08 at 06:05:39

What ever was clogging the petcock is doing the same thing to the carb.

So did you look at the petcock?

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 06/06/08 at 06:16:08

There are guys around here that will weigh in soon with wiser advice than mine, but I'll give you mine anyway...

If your technical competence is of a degree that would allow you to pull and clean the carb, do so.  Really, the most difficult part of that I found was getting it off the bike.  That was more of a grunting and tugging operation than a delicate mechanical procedure.  Then, a 3'X3' flat work space, screwdrivers (one each) and a can of carb cleaner is about all a guy needs.

Savage Wahine did a great write up in the Technical section here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

If you aren't quite ready to tear into a carb yet, you might try disconnecting the fuel line from the petcock, draining and re-plugging the bowl, and then injecting carb cleaner through the line and letting it soak for awhile.  Use plenty, because most of the goodies in this carb are halfway to the top.  Then drain the bowl and refill with gas.  Be careful with the carb cleaner though.  It might do nasty things to your paint.

That's how I would do it, but I'm still learning on these things.  Like I said, someone will be along who knows more than I.

Good luck.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 06/06/08 at 06:18:50

Oops.  There's one of them already.  He showed up while I was typing.  Ignore my last...

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #4 - 06/06/08 at 06:24:46

verslagen1 wrote on 06/06/08 at 06:05:39:
What ever was clogging the petcock is doing the same thing to the carb.

So did you look at the petcock?

I have now! There was some stuff underneath where the in-tank screen was fitted...

I guess it's time to strip the carb then?  Sad

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/06/08 at 06:29:52

it's a good bet that you do   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #6 - 06/06/08 at 06:33:09

Thanks for your help, time to take the plunge into carb-world!   :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/06/08 at 07:02:06

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/06/08 at 06:18:50:
Oops.  There's one of them already.  He showed up while I was typing.  Ignore my last...

Don't ignore, good thoughts.

be sure that if you use carb cleaner like this, it is compatible with rubber.  Thems rubber parts are expensive.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 06/06/08 at 07:08:54

Hey Verslagen1, I sit in awe as I read about you and Lancer and Greg, et al. making a one hour job out of removing, cleaning, and installing the carb on the Savage.  There must be some trick to cramming a 6 inch pipe into a 5 inch hole (so to speak).  I'd love to see a picture of the position of the carb just before it pops out from between the airbox and the intake port, if you have one laying around.  I got mine out of the parts bike, but it took some magic incantations, a chain, and a Chevy one-ton to do it.  I'm dragging my feet on opening mine up, because I don't want to break something and be without my bike.

I guess I could just go fiddle with the one on the parts bike until I master it, but reinventing the wheel is silly.  Is there any trick, or do you just have to practice?

furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #9 - 06/06/08 at 07:09:09

something I've noticed on my wife's bike too, if you're cranked for awhile and it won't start, sometimes it's low voltage.  Been several times my wife's bike was still cranking but it wouldn't fire.  Hooked my jumper pack up and fired right off.  This was on an old, weak battery.  Seems these bikes are a little sensitive to voltage.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 06/06/08 at 07:09:53

PhilM wrote on 06/06/08 at 06:33:09:
Thanks for your help, time to take the plunge into carb-world!   :'(

replace 4 bowl screws and 4 top screws w/ ss allenheads..you may need small vice grips to get oem ph screws out..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 06/06/08 at 07:24:50

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/06/08 at 07:08:54:
Hey Verslagen1, I sit in awe as I read about you and Lancer and Greg, et al. making a one hour job out of removing, cleaning, and installing the carb on the Savage.  There must be some trick to cramming a 6 inch pipe into a 5 inch hole (so to speak).  I'd love to see a picture of the position of the carb just before it pops out from between the airbox and the intake port, if you have one laying around.  I got mine out of the parts bike, but it took some magic incantations, a chain, and a Chevy one-ton to do it.  I'm dragging my feet on opening mine up, because I don't want to break something and be without my bike.

I guess I could just go fiddle with the one on the parts bike until I master it, but reinventing the wheel is silly.  Is there any trick, or do you just have to practice?

My trick is to remove the battery box first, it is attached to the bike with four 10mm bolts. When you undo those bolts the box slides right out and you have plenty of room to get the carb out.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/06/08 at 07:43:04

I'd love to see a picture of the position of the carb just before it pops out from between the airbox and the intake port, if you have one laying around.  I got mine out of the parts bike, but it took some magic incantations, a chain, and a Chevy one-ton to do it.  I'm dragging my feet on opening mine up, because I don't want to break something and be without my bike.

Must be like alot of things on the bike, some people can't get the tank off w/o removing the petcock, but I can.  It's either I don't care about scratching the paint and they do or they really can't.
You got to twist it alittle to take advantage of what room you have, wiggle it abit, lift abit and pull.  before you put it back in, some lube will help, not sure what kind, anti seize maybe.

Pictures? no way jose, not when you got both hands involved, feet braced, tongue cocked... just not a pretty picture.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #13 - 06/06/08 at 08:05:51

verslagen1 wrote on 06/06/08 at 07:43:04:

Pictures? no way jose, not when you got both hands involved, feet braced, tongue cocked... just not a pretty picture.

Are we still talking about the carb, or are you getting dirty on us?
Shocked

mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #14 - 06/06/08 at 13:08:19

Before starting any thing unfamiliar, start by reading your manual then keep it with you during the procedure,it really does help,I know it's un manly to read the instuctions, but in this case a good idea.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:30:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't start!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.