Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This muffler is screwed! (Read 321 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
This muffler is screwed!
06/04/08 at 19:18:05

I was sitting out back staring at the bikes and plotting how I could use them in my evil plot to overthrow the free world, when something struck me...

The muffler on the '87 People Eater is different from the one on the '88 parts bike.  One has rivets, the other has screws.  Deciding that this required further investigation, I got out my official Savage tool, the much beloved 10mm socket, and started turning bolts until this popped out...

Hmmmm...
Peering about furtively but intently, I realized that no one was near enough to stop me from inserting the key and turning it just a little bit.  I did so, and was rewarded with a most satisfying sound.  No longer did my Savage sound like a puny little lawn tractor!  Nope, it sounded like a huge, gigantic, MIGHTY LAWN TRACTOR!

Alright, enough creative writing.  Actually, I was surprised to find that this little canister is apparently the only noise dampening feature of the huge muffler on the Savage.  Only about 1/2 of it has any fiberglass in it.  I left it out and ran the bike down the road.  It sounds pretty darn good.  Substantially louder than with the stuffing in, but not obnoxious.  And not "tinny" like I would have guessed.  It has a pretty nice, deep sound.  

Question:  Other than poor running or bluing pipes, which I'll be able to notice shortly, is there anything to watch out for running the bike this way?  Something I won't pick up on until the piston comes through the head and makes me a soprano?  If not, I believe I'll saw the tube off and just screw the plate back on to keep out the fur-bearing beasties that inhabit my area.

I couldn't find a Dyna take-off at the local Harley shop, but this ain't so bad anyway.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Re: This muffler is screwed!
Reply #1 - 06/04/08 at 19:22:10

You're gonna be running really lean, and hot. Also you will loose some bottom end torque if it doesn't have any backpressure like that.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/04/08 at 19:36:47

I'm sure thats not stock mine goes up in there about 12 inches before it hits a plate,take a flashlight and look up your wifes muffler,on her bike.Or the other muffler you have there.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MAYES
YaBB Newbies

The SAVAGE beast!!!

Ohio
Reply #3 - 06/04/08 at 19:46:14

look up your wifes muffler, Grin Shocked That's one way to put it!!!!

97 Savage stright pipe,One loud thumper.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 06/04/08 at 19:48:15

Right you are, Bill.  There is a plate up in there, with about a one inch hole in it.  I guess that will provide back pressure, eh?  I wonder what is on the other side of that little bugger?

I still don't understand this exhaust stuff thoroughly.  1/2 the guys around here are trying to enlarge their exhaust ports for better flow.  The other half worry about having enough restriction.

The whole thing has me, ummm... baffled.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/04/08 at 19:51:50

Pull out the rest of the fiberglass and put it back in would be my vote.
Darn near what the supertrapp is inside.

WWW   IP Logged
MAYES
YaBB Newbies

The SAVAGE beast!!!

Ohio
Reply #6 - 06/04/08 at 21:45:52

All well, I thought it was funny, sorry guess my mind is in the gutter tonight. Cheesy

97 Savage stright pipe,One loud thumper.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/05/08 at 03:25:34

If its got a hole in it i think its been drilled there is another plate behind the first plate that can be drilled too.look at the stock 250 to see what stock is. Iv' drilled all the bikes i have had makes them about twice as loud just drilled out my boys victory ,they sound good but not to loud,but my s40 doesn't sound good.hondas get lolder than suzukis doing this,its the way the mufflers or made.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Feisty Limited

Blue Suzuki Skies
Shining On Me!

MT
Reply #8 - 06/05/08 at 14:55:54

I suggest doing whatever it takes to make it loud enough for your closest neighbors to hear when you are leaving so they can go too.  Other than that suggestion I would only cause you more grief.  Wink

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 06/06/08 at 20:48:04

Well it took me a day and a half to figure it out.  I'm pretty sharp that way.  Everyone, meet Feisty Limited, one of my nearest neighbors.  Feisty Limited, this is everyone...

Where that "Limited" part comes from I have yet to see.  Maybe it will be her patience when she hears what I did to the exhaust today.  I probably ought to just take it all the way off at the rate I'm going.

Feisty has been looking to buy a bike lately.  I've been touting the Savage to her.  Looks like she came in to see what kind of folks ride Savages.  Ya'll behave now.  And somebody grab Sluggo before he tries to corrupt her. Grin

Feisty Limited

Blue Suzuki Skies
Shining On Me!

MT
Reply #10 - 06/07/08 at 12:50:23

Thanks for the intro Sandy K.  I am convinced to buy an S40 or S50.  I just have to find one or at least find a helpful salesman which I am having a lot of trouble with.
I guess I will go properly introduce myself in the cafe intro section.

What have you done to that bikes exhaust now??  I hope you plan on taking the box of leftover pieces with you when you go to Philipsburg.  Ha Ha.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 06/07/08 at 13:16:41

Feisty,If this is your 1st bike or you are little,I think the s50 will be a hand full for you. Yamaha,Honda, make 650s better for the open road but that I think would be better for a starter bike than the s50,s50 is a pretty powerful bike,thats if you don't want a s40.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Feisty Limited

Blue Suzuki Skies
Shining On Me!

MT
Reply #12 - 06/07/08 at 13:42:27

OK!  Thanks!  This is the kind of stuff I want to hear.  It helps me decide.  Couple more opinions like that and I will get an S40.   Not too many available though.  Even brand new they are 4 weeks before the shops get them in.  Around here anyway.  
The Honda Shadow's were really heavy for me and the seat is too short.  I am pretty light.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:21:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › This muffler is screwed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.