Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaky (cam chain tensioner?) bolt. (Read 43 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Leaky (cam chain tensioner?) bolt.
06/04/08 at 16:43:27

I hate to reuse a picture so soon, but it's handy so...

Right up there near the top, about level with the top of the intake port, toward the rear of the head but on this side, is a bolt.  I believe it holds the top of the cam chain tensioner in place.  Well, the little beggar is leaking oil on my bike.  Can I back that out just a smidge and put some sealer behind it?  Would that be playing with fire?  

It's a very small amount of oil, and I can live with it, but it's just one of those things I'd like to tend to if I can do so safely.  I do NOT want to hear something go tinkling down into the bottom end as a result of my fooling around with it.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Jason

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Leaky (cam chain tensioner?) bolt.
Reply #1 - 06/04/08 at 16:51:52

That bolts the pivot for the rear chain guide (but you know that)  The boss in the chain guide is full width.  You can unscrew that bolt and as long as you keep the thread engaged with that wall and not pull it out any further then it will unthread, you'll be ok.  but with the cover off you can grab the bottom of the guide and push it around to realign if an accident happened.  Just don't pull it out from the bottom, it's real hard to get back in with the chain still in place.  I tried it to see if it could be done for future knowledge.  And there's no spacers to loose either.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 06/04/08 at 17:00:03

Thanks Verslagen1.  I think I'll just give it a little layer of RTV behind the bolt head and see if that stops things.  Unless there's a better idea floating around the site somewhere.  Searching for "leaky bolt" would get me nowhere, I fear.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/04/08 at 17:03:19

I don't recall many posts regarding this bolt being leaky, maybe yours is just loose.  There is a plastic washer behind it.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 06/04/08 at 17:11:10

Well, you give me enough time and I'll break something no one else has thought of before. Smiley

I went out and checked it.  It was pretty snug, but I gave it just a tiny bit more snort.  I'll wash things up tomorrow and then watch it for awhile.  Like I said, it's no emergency, so waiting to see if that fixed it will be a lot easier than smearing goop in there.

Thanks again,

Jason

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaky (cam chain tensioner?) bolt.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.