Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
STARTER Relay (better) (Read 163 times)
shermeco

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

STARTER Relay (better)
06/04/08 at 14:11:57

Did all of the tests to every electrical device on my bike and found this to be faulty has any one else had it go bad?
What happen to your bike when you found it did go bad?
My starter would not work Blah!
I ordered a new one I really hope I did the right thing

solenoid

« Last Edit: 06/07/08 at 11:44:33 by shermeco »  
  IP Logged
Finnishbobber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hellsinki, Finland
Re: STARTER Solenoid Relay
Reply #1 - 06/05/08 at 03:10:08

shermeco wrote on 06/04/08 at 14:11:57:
Did all of the tests to every electrical device on my bike and found this to be faulty has any one else had it go bad?
What happen to your bike when you found it did go bad?
My starter would not work Blah!
I ordered a new one I really hope I did the right thing

I had a problem with that. It kept on starting even the motor was running and wouldnt stop even when I hit the "emergency switch" (dunno what its called in english). I had to unplug tha battery wires.

Some people says that knocking the solenoid gently with a hammer (GENTLY  Smiley ) may solve the problem, for a while. Last week I installed the battery for the first time after winter and was expecting the instant start but luckily it didnt. But I´m still palnning to buy a new solenoid cause the starting while motor running will brake the motor in some point if it keeps doing it more often.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/05/08 at 06:54:55

If mine ever did that I would hook up a switch to be able to kill the power or change the solenoid immediately. Thats not at all funny. That could burn up your starter motor,& melt wires. I dont know what other mechanical damage it might do, but it wouldnt exactly be good for the battery, either.
Is there a fuse to pull that would stop all this once it started? If so,, I want to know about it.Fuses are accessible with the seat on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/05/08 at 07:34:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/05/08 at 06:54:55:
Is there a fuse to pull that would stop all this once it started? If so,, I want to know about it.Fuses are accessible with the seat on.

The starter is not fused.  If the solenoid sticks closed, that starter is gonna keep going until drains the battery, burns the wires and/or eats the starter.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
shermeco

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/05/08 at 07:51:27

Mine is not stuck closed it just does not work it wont turn the starter. Has any one taken one of them out i squezzed a wrench down next to it but would like to take the air box off to put the new one in. so my question is
how do you take out the air box?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/05/08 at 23:26:16

Thanks. I guess its not something to worry about. I've turned more than 4 or 5 ignition switches in my life & never had a solenoid stick closed. That it happened to someone, somewhere, once upon a time IS a lousy deal, but I am not gonna hold my breath every time I hit the starter button.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 06/06/08 at 04:59:59

The starter relay is energized by the control unit.
The control unit (the little black box above the carburetor) energizes the decompression solenoid and an instant ( few tenth of a second) later the starter relay. There is NO starter solenoid!

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/06/08 at 05:34:44

You can argue if it's a solenoid or a relay until the cows come home.  There terms are practically interchangeable (at least in the US)
Officially speaking, it's a relay.  
Starter solenoids are typically mounted right on the starter motor.
They serve the same purpose, to supply high current to the starter motor.

Either way, it sounds like shermeco's maybe bad, as says he did the proper testing.  Digging it out from the fender could be a real joy.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/06/08 at 07:19:17

I think just pulling the seat gives access, doesnt it? I know Ive seen mine, but cant remember just where it is.

IP Logged
shermeco

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: STARTER Relay
Reply #9 - 06/06/08 at 13:55:49

Well if I  could post pics I would. Of my hands that are all cut up from digging it out. The new one comes on Monday so we will see if my testing was right if not back to the drawing board(or should i say circuit board).

« Last Edit: 06/06/08 at 16:14:44 by shermeco »  
  IP Logged
shermeco

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: STARTER  Relay (better)
Reply #10 - 06/07/08 at 11:41:43

I went back to the garage I am storing my bike in and re-tested it with gator clips and it is definitely the problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:34:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › STARTER Relay (better)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.