Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help Please in removing my head. (Read 180 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Help Please in removing my head.
06/04/08 at 11:41:24

Well, none of the shops in my area will work on the savage until Fall, so like a fool I've started wrecking it myself.  The diagram of the cylinder head cover bolts was duly printed out and attached to cardboard as recommended (what a great idea, thanks). The 10mm bolts all came out but on the left hand side, the chart shows one more bolt but I have 2X 14mm bolts, one near the spark plug hole, one further back.  Did I misread the chart?  (Awaiting response before trying to remove the 14mm. )  idn't touch the 10mm on the right side with the philip heads indentation- hopefully that was the one I wasn't supposed to touch yet.  Do I have to remove the front L65 with nut?
The right hand side crankcase cover came off with a little spillage of oil- didn't put the bucket in the right spot by (as agent Smart would say)- missed it by that much. Smiley  When cleaning up the oil I found a very thin @3mm thick metal pin that is broken off , maybee 1/2 inch long.  Any thoughts what it is/where it might have come from. The bike is an '04 with 3000 miles.  Thank you in advance..
OH, yeah, this is being done so I can get a header bolt machined out. Sad

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Help Please in removing my head.
Reply #1 - 06/04/08 at 11:51:24

Sorry I can't help, but the title of your thread made me smile.  I was going to suggest riding without your helmet, until I read of your woes.  Good luck on your project.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/04/08 at 11:59:09

Trip, leave the 14mm til later.  They bolt the head to the cylinder.
Concentrate of the 10mm first, get the cover off, then do the 14's.

The pin might be an alignment pin for the cover, there are 2, one front and one back.  Look for a couple of blind holes.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 06/04/08 at 12:45:59

Lets go back to square 1, are you trying to remove just the head cover or it and the head? To remove the head cover, only 6 mm bolts with a 10 mm hex need to be removed.  Don't forget the 2 under the valve adjusting covers, and yes the inverted one with the acorn nut has to be removed also, nut only until you slide the cover sideways to allow the bolt to drop out. Also the head steady rest has to be removed, 3x 12 mm boltsw/14 mm hex, that go through the frame top tube. Also the center bolt stay in the cover until you remove it and goes back in the cover before you pt it in place.  Pin might go in your cam to gear, side cover ones are hollow dowel type alignment pins. What happened that you are taking it apart? Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 06/04/08 at 14:39:29

First, thanks for the replies.  I snapped an exhaust  header bolt, then the easy out..so, I now need to take the "cylinder head " (I think its called) off so a machine shop can remove the ofending bolt etc.  (If it sounds like I'm new at this. the answer is yes) Shocked

As far as(part of a pin)? I fond, it is solid not hollow dowel type.  The pin in cam gear doesn't sound very promising..

The cover comes off seperately?  Those 2 14mm bolts look like they hold the cover to the head.

Max- you say the center bolt stays in the cover, this is the one that has the philips' head indentation?

So..worst case senario- how much can I get parting the poor baby out?? Naw..at 62, it's time to learn new stuff- right?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/04/08 at 15:05:57

Cover comes off sepparately.
If fact you have to take it off 1st to get at the bolt under the imfamous head plug.
The one that stays in is marked with an indentation of some sort.  It retains the rocker shaft, not a problem if it's removed, just put it back in before replacing the cover.
Don't tempt me.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 06/04/08 at 15:21:16

So, all the 10 mm bolts are out, do I whack the head cover with rubber mallet or is this a pry with screwdriver kinda operation?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/04/08 at 16:54:42

you'll have to pry a little, it is glued down.  I think there's a space at the rear but don't recall exactly.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 06/04/08 at 20:05:43

Thanks for the help Verslagen1.  Will try prying tomorrow am before work.  Have a great evening.

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #9 - 06/05/08 at 05:14:22

Trippah, I did notice when I did the same things that some of the holes in the diagram are the bolts from the two chrome covers that you may have already removed. So don't necessarily think you missed something.

As for getting the head off, that took me about 10 minutes of wriggling and twisting and biting my tongue just so... Depending on the tolerances of your frame and the mounting bolts in the cylinder, you have to get the thing in just the right configuration to remove it.

I just got in my new gaskets and head plug, so I'm going to be doing my reassembly tomorrow afternoon into the weekend. I'll keep you updated over in the "broken header stud" thread for anything that might be handy during your reassembly. I know you said you are in the Worcester area... I might be able to ride up sometime in the next couple weeks if you would like another inexperienced hand.  Smiley

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #10 - 06/05/08 at 09:16:54

Whatever you do, don't follow this guy's head removal technique:

He was pretty good at getting the heads off, but things never worked right afterwards!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 06/05/08 at 15:51:22

Hope it goes  smoothly Meck - I may well be contacting you (perhaps we can get you friend to do some work on another savage now that he has experienced it Cheesy  (But I get ahead of myself)..tried a screw driver prying around but as yet no movement noted.
As far as the tudors ..especially the tv variety, if a gal has legs like hers, who'd even notice whether she has a head Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/05/08 at 17:01:03

Check around for more bolts, did you get the 2 under the valve covers?

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 06/05/08 at 19:27:10

Verslagen- i got those BUT, there is one directly under the frame member tucked in- that I had previously missed. Angry  I   So, how dumb do I feel!  I Can't get a socket on it so it must be time to drop the engine.
This hapened cause I was working with the engine still in place, i was hoping this would make it steadier.  Thus I was coming in from the sides which meant the frame member was blocking my view a little. Alas, my garage which isn't all that well lit.  Finally got some candle power and voila.  I guess I'll have to lower the engine now, to get this last 10mm bolt out.  
Have you ever seen my greenhouse, it's called The Sahara. Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/05/08 at 20:14:31

You might try backing it out with an open wrench.

But with it so tight, it might be best to yank it out.

Other option, take out all the engine mt. bolts and rock it forward for a little more clearance, Clarence.

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:19:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help Please in removing my head.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.