Jennings
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, WA
101 Cruise
06/03/08 at 19:05:35

Hello all,
No this is not some newbie question its an inquiry to all riders on the West Coast.
June 10 I am riding my Savage from Olympia Wa, around the horn on 101 and continue down the Coastal Highway 101 to abouts San Diego. I am inviting all riders interested to post here to work out a way of meeting up to cruise this whole thing or partial however your schedule will allow. I'm looking forward to this trip like none that you can imagine. The more riders we get, the better off we are to spreading our passion which is Savage.

-Levi

2007, Bone Stock... So far, big plans in the future
Jennings   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: 101 Cruise
Reply #1 - 06/03/08 at 22:06:13

Sounds like a trip to remember.  101 will take you down the Oregon coast.  When we did that section by cage/tent camping we averaged less than 200 miles a day.  On south thru the Coastal Redwoods where you can sidestep the freeway for a 30+ mile putt on old 101 which is now the "Avenue of the Giants."  A bit south of that you hit Leggett where you can leave the now inland US-101 and head back for the coast on California route 1.  CA-1 is NOT recomended for large RVs.   Wink

Depending on if you blast thru LA on the freeways (I-405) or fight city traffic on CA-1 I'm only a few minutes away from your route and can meet up in El Segundo or Hawthorne for either a meal break or a ride down CA-1 to maybe Newport Beach.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/03/08 at 22:26:48

We'll have to find a place to meet up.

Near santa monica.

When?

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 06/04/08 at 00:16:41

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I'd like to inquire about CA-1, frmo San Francisco down the coast to Monterey, Big Sur to S.Luis Obispo.

Question: how early should I start in the morning from Frisco to make it to Monterey by lunchtime, see Laguna seca raceway and still make it to S.Luis Obispo by dinnertime ?  Roll Eyes

OR... will I need warp speed 7 ?  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Jennings
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, WA
Reply #4 - 06/04/08 at 02:52:41

Paladin. wrote on 06/03/08 at 22:06:13:
Sounds like a trip to remember.  101 will take you down the Oregon coast.  When we did that section by cage/tent camping we averaged less than 200 miles a day.  On south thru the Coastal Redwoods where you can sidestep the freeway for a 30+ mile putt on old 101 which is now the "Avenue of the Giants."  A bit south of that you hit Leggett where you can leave the now inland US-101 and head back for the coast on California route 1.  CA-1 is NOT recomended for large RVs.   Wink

Depending on if you blast thru LA on the freeways (I-405) or fight city traffic on CA-1 I'm only a few minutes away from your route and can meet up in El Segundo or Hawthorne for either a meal break or a ride down CA-1 to maybe Newport Beach.

Oh It'll be a trip to remember and i plan on making the most of it i can. Thanks for the tip on CA-1, I'll definately want to take you up on that and i most likely will. I did the research on the 101 through most of California. I guess i stopped right before it went inland. I blame Google Earth for most of that. But i would love to get as many Savage's as possible to blast down the highway. Show the big v-twins what its all about.

Jennings   IP Logged
Jennings
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, WA
Reply #5 - 06/04/08 at 02:55:58

verslagen1 wrote on 06/03/08 at 22:26:48:
We'll have to find a place to meet up.

Near santa monica.

When?

All i know right now is im leaving up here in WA on the 10th. How much progress i make per day depends on weather, traffic, the people i meet up with along the way. And of course the ever possible, however unlikely, breakdown. But i couldnt imagine any later than the 14th.

Jennings   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #6 - 06/04/08 at 06:39:21

mpescatori wrote on 06/04/08 at 00:16:41:
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I'd like to inquire about CA-1, frmo San Francisco down the coast to Monterey, Big Sur to S.Luis Obispo.

Question: how early should I start in the morning from Frisco to make it to Monterey by lunchtime, see Laguna seca raceway and still make it to S.Luis Obispo by dinnertime ?  Roll Eyes

Google Maps shows 'Frisco -- Monterey to be 120 miles, a little under three hours saddletime, plus rubbernecking time.   Monterey to San Luis is 134 miles, again about 3 hours plus rubberneck time.  Since that goes through Big Sur you can just about guarantee an hour of stop and looks.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #7 - 06/04/08 at 06:53:06

Jennings wrote on 06/04/08 at 02:55:58:
 All i know right now is im leaving up here in WA on the 10th. How much progress i make per day depends on weather, traffic, the people i meet up with along the way. And of course the ever possible, however unlikely, breakdown. But i couldnt imagine any later than the 14th.

Google Maps shows Olympia, around the horn, down the coast to Santa Monica to be 1560 miles / 34 hours saddletime.  To do in 4 days your looking at 390 miles / 8.5 hours saddletime per day.

I'd figure about 5-6 hours saddletime a day, putting at 50 mph or so, getting 70+ mpg....  Which is 6 or 7 days.  You going to camp out?  I figure you simply call a day ahead for us to meet you.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #8 - 06/04/08 at 08:55:00

Have an early breakfast... It's a slow drive, but you can do it in a day.   Goggle shows it as 5+ hours of driving.  Most of that drive is going to be VERY curvy, especially along the ocean.  But it's a beautiful drive (better on a bike than in a car).

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Jennings
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, WA
Reply #9 - 06/04/08 at 11:02:26

Paladin. wrote on 06/04/08 at 06:53:06:
Jennings wrote on 06/04/08 at 02:55:58:

Google Maps shows Olympia, around the horn, down the coast to Santa Monica to be 1560 miles / 34 hours saddletime.  To do in 4 days your looking at 390 miles / 8.5 hours saddletime per day.

I'd figure about 5-6 hours saddletime a day, putting at 50 mph or so, getting 70+ mpg....  Which is 6 or 7 days.  You going to camp out?  I figure you simply call a day ahead for us to meet you.

I wasnt thinking like that. The last time i went to California was in a cage where its much easier to go long distances. But I am likely to do the 8 hours a day.

You can definately look forward to the call. And yes I figure if its not pouring rain I'll just lay out under the stars. If its raining, well if I have to I'll put in for a hotel, but most likely i'll pack a tarp  Wink

Jennings   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #10 - 06/04/08 at 11:11:42

I wish I could be out there to join ya

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #11 - 06/04/08 at 11:51:14

Question: how early should I start in the morning from Frisco to make it to Monterey by lunchtime,

Really, really early!  "Frisco" is not a proper nickname for San Francisco.

"Frisco" is a resort town in Summit County Colorado.  It's at the end of this road:

San Francisco really doesn't have a nickname.  You can call it "The City", but only in the proper context.

And, don't forget to stop and savor theredwood coast around Eureka, Arcata and Trinidad California:

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/04/08 at 13:10:37

drharveys - FSO wrote on 06/04/08 at 11:51:14:
"Frisco" is not a proper nickname for San Francisco.

only to a doctor in misery

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/11/08 at 12:56:57

Well, he should've left yesterday.

any news?

WWW   IP Logged
Jennings
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, WA
Reply #14 - 06/27/08 at 20:17:56

Hello all,
Ive made it back home after a few mishaps along the way. sorry to all i was supposed to get a hold of to join me for the cruise. my cell phone was stolen when i made it to San Francisco the first time.. but all went well on the trip, save for a dealer mishap where they "forgot" to put the valve cover gasket back on after a service. again i apologise for not getting a hold of a few people. all said and done i do wish the savage could keep up with LA, southern california traffic without getting ran over but hey.
The trip was great had ALOT of fun saw some amazing sights and met a few good people.
3700 miles? no problem. next time who knows where i'll end up.

Jennings   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:30:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 101 Cruise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.