Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just another way to keep track of your bolts (Read 158 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Just another way to keep track of your bolts
06/03/08 at 15:19:10

It's no great revelation, but for those who are brand new to turning a wrench, it might be worth mentioning.  Here's how I do it:  Take the picture before you start the job.  Print it on photo paper, which is heavier stock, and at least somewhat resistant to moisture and whatnot.  Then, as you remove a bolt, just make a cut in the paper and poke the bolt through the hole.  That way, when you go to put it all back together, there's no confusion about where the bolt with the washer, or the longer bolt, or whatever, goes.

Drawing a diagram on cardboard works just as well, but I can never find a piece of cardboard when I need it.  I know where the printer paper is, though.  Plus, they fit in a file folder for the next time I have to remove the same part.

Incidentally, here's what was behind that cover with all the bolts in it.  I finally got the nerve to open it.  It wasn't near as painful as I thought it would be.  

The guys and gals around here that know what they're doing sure make it easier.  I would have spent hundreds on this bike that I didn't have to if not for them.  My thanks to each and every one of you who spend your time writing this stuff up for the benefit of those of us who wouldn't dare try it otherwise.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Just another way to keep track of your bolts
Reply #1 - 06/03/08 at 15:25:19

HOOOWEEE, it was time to open 'er up.
A little longer and you'd be cleaning that up with a shovel.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 06/03/08 at 15:55:23

Actually, once again I tried it on the parts bike first.  Still not sure when I'm going to find out what caused the nasty "thump" that put it up for sale.

At least now, when I open mine up, I can do it with a small measure of confidence in myself.  I just don't know if I really need to yet.  5000 miles or so on the clock.  At least the last 1500 with synthetic oil.  I have reason to believe it was well maintained before I got it, as well.  What do you think?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/03/08 at 18:51:16

Sandy Koocanusa
I second your thanks to the group. Without their support and dedication, there are a number of us who would be too intimidated to try some of the things we do to these bikes.
And thank you Sandy Koocanusa, for posting another great tip for keeping all the parts straight.

Thanks guys and gals, for making this the best site on the web.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 06/03/08 at 19:49:58

Pretty neat having a dog "stand in" for the overhead cam..runs well on water no doubt. Smiley

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 06/03/08 at 19:54:16

Actually, he's part of the reason for the picture with the bolts in it.  He likes to wander through at random and scatter my stuff all over the place.  A good pal, but a lousy assistant. Smiley

His name is Mac.  His brother was Roni.  It fits, 'cause he's got the brains of a noodle.

Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 06/03/08 at 20:00:58

Ronnie - Mack  Ronnie - Mack Rrmm Rrmmm..yes, those names will definately do just fine.  My Newf was a great assistant, she'd put so much saliva on a tool it would slip out of my hand.. Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/03/08 at 20:20:58

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/03/08 at 15:55:23:
Actually, once again I tried it on the parts bike first.  Still not sure when I'm going to find out what caused the nasty "thump" that put it up for sale.

At least now, when I open mine up, I can do it with a small measure of confidence in myself.  I just don't know if I really need to yet.  5000 miles or so on the clock.  At least the last 1500 with synthetic oil.  I have reason to believe it was well maintained before I got it, as well.  What do you think?

Most likely it was starting to make noise, dealer said you gotta option sell it or repair it.

does it run?

I'd say you got till 10k before you should open it up.  At 8k listen intently from then on.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 06/03/08 at 21:10:08

Yeah, it made a noise like "KAHWHUMP!!!" and stopped dead.  The kid ran it out of oil.  The dealer started to open it up and then told them it would cost more to fix than it was worth, so they sold it to me for $150.  I'm using it as a rehearsal tool.  If something needs doing on my bike that I'm not sure about, I tear into this one to see what I'm getting into first.  It's been a good source of spares, as well.  I've already gotten my $150 out of it, I think.

Also, if you are still compiling data on tensioners, this one has about 19,000 miles on it.  No idea how it was ridden or what oil was put in it, when they bothered to put in any at all.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/03/08 at 22:06:42

When you're threw with it, throw in a basket and send it to me.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 06/04/08 at 00:14:12

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/03/08 at 21:10:08:
Yeah, it made a noise like "KAHWHUMP!!!" and stopped dead.  The kid ran it out of oil.  
No idea how it was ridden or what oil was put in it, when they bothered to put in any at all.

That's the lousy thing about reading the oil level through that itsy bitsy window thingie...

The engineers at Suzuki might as well have put a pair of dice with the instructions "try your luck"   Huh

I considered drilling and tapping a hole for a dipstick but the clutch is in the way   Tongue

I am actually beginnng to think I may be running dry... so I'll just try my hand at changing the oil to see exactly how much I was riding on...

Now... what was that theory about "motor oil for diesels" being a better "wet clutch bike oil" than "motor oil for gas engines" ?

Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 06/04/08 at 06:35:35

I use Savage Greg's idea and scan the diagram from the manual, print it, and tape it to the bottom of a cardboard box.  The photo could be used just as easily though.  Good idea!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 06/04/08 at 10:36:43

Piece of cardboard (Miller Lite box Smiley  ) and a sharpie marker.  Definitely wouldn't get an A in art class for my rendition of a sidecase or head cover, but it works....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #13 - 06/04/08 at 10:44:14

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 06/04/08 at 10:36:43:
Piece of cardboard (Miller Lite box Smiley  ) and a sharpie marker.....

By the time I got the box, emptied, I'd be unable to get the cap off the sharpie, and wouldn't care where the bolts ended up. Grin

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:14:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just another way to keep track of your bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.