Send Topic Print
Mods for a newbie... (Read 122 times)
nosepher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mods for a newbie...
06/02/08 at 23:43:48

Hello all, first i would like to thank the moderators/webmasters for doing a fantastic job with the site. I've learned so much reading on the forums I would also like to thank the knowledgeable riders who contribute their wisdom for noobs like myself.

I'll get to the point know.

i recently bought my first bike, a used '04 Savage all stock (10,500 miles on it) and I was wondering what should be modified to lengthen the life of my bike. I'm riding for fuel economy and low maintenance if that makes a difference.

i also wanted to clear up the issues i had with the transmission... is it correct to be in top gear at 31 mph? thats how i interpreted the owners manual...  just want to be sure I'm not hurting my bike.

GrinThanks!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Mods for a newbie...
Reply #1 - 06/03/08 at 00:00:42

on the top gear or any gear - too slow will make the bike chug and buck - then you need to down shift

if going for MPG is the goal use a good MoToRCyClE syn oil like mobil 1 Vtwin 20w/50 or mx4t (?) 10w/40 and proper tune the carb and exhaust - will give you >50mpg - but it looks like a proper chain conversion if you ride where you can use it - where you up the final drive a good bit - maybe 65 or 70 mpg is possible

and add a tach

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/03/08 at 04:12:07

I believe its possible to be in 5th at 31 MPH, BUT, the slightes attempt at acceleration is hard on it, the least headwind( breeze) or slightest grade will make it need a downshift, IMO. I coast along at that speed only rarely & even downhill, it feels like its ready to start chugging & bucking.Be nice to the bearings, let the engine spin free.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 06/03/08 at 04:21:38

I think its ok to be in 5th at 31mph just don't give it full gas till you get to about 40mph

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 06/03/08 at 06:43:28

nosepher wrote on 06/02/08 at 23:43:48:
... is it correct to be in top gear at 31 mph? thats how i interpreted the owners manual...  just want to be sure I'm not hurting my bike....

Correct?  Don' know.  Can it be done?  I do it regularly.  You'll accelerate less briskly, but still quicker than most anything else out there.  I don't like high-pitched tingle buzzy and may have gone too far the other way, but I LIKE the sound and feel of the Thumper at full throttle / low rpm.  Partial throttle at low rpm gets wierd, but messing around I can pull top gear, relatively smoothly, from about 25 mph.  Relative smoothly with the understanding that I was disappointed with the lack of vibration with the Savage, they did the counterbalancer good.

As for hurting the bike, can't say as I'm no mechanic.  But I got my 2000 in '04 with about 5K miles on it.  Three and a half years later it has 24K and I have not yet to looked at the spark plug.

The bike, registration, gas, oil, tires, brakes, windshields, saddlebags, horns, mufflers, etc I have spent less than $6000 total for 19000 miles of travel -- less than $.32 a mile.   And every mile more lowers that figure.  It could explode tomorrow and I would simply go get me new S40.

Oh, and while I do run abusively low RPMs, if I want to get going faster I do let it wind out -- will merge into freeway traffic in third gear.  Have caught myself at 65-70 thinking "little buzzy, aren't we" and then sheepishly shifting to fifth.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/03/08 at 09:30:09

nosepher wrote on 06/02/08 at 23:43:48:
i recently bought my first bike, a used '04 Savage all stock (10,500 miles on it) and I was wondering what should be modified to lengthen the life of my bike. I'm riding for fuel economy and low maintenance if that makes a difference.

Get an eyeball on the cam chain.  This is a good indication of the state of the engine, if the cam chain adjuster plunger is sticking way out, you may want to concider replacing the cam chain/guides or getting a verslavy.
And keep an eye on the oil level, don't let it go low.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:15:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mods for a newbie...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.