Send Topic Print
rolled and smoked him (Read 548 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

rolled and smoked him
06/02/08 at 22:18:30

I dont condone doing something like this but.... I have to say it was fun. Anyway I'm riding along a long road with 2 traffic lights, one on each end between two small towns. Speed limit is 45. A guy on a Sportster BLAZES past me. Probably going 60 or so. He probably saw the "SUZUKI" on the back of the sissy bar and thought I'd be a good laugh. I couldnt resist. I gunned it and blazed right past him without looking back. He did stick with me but didnt try passing me again. Luckily cops dont frequent that road and its pretty straight or I wouldnt have bothered. Plus I'm very farmiliar with it. Caught myself at almost 90 coming up to the red light right before my town. He's a few hundred yards behind and pulls up a few seconds after me and yells "what the hell is that!?" I get to say, with a grin from ear to ear "Suzuki" , he yells "yea I know , but what? What size?" and I still grinning reply "Savage 650" His mouth dropped a little. Light turns green and I speed off just to drive the point home.

Dont get me wrong. I have no problem with Harleys or Harley riders in general but HD is not the end all be all of motorcyles and I like to think thats the point I got across tonight.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: rolled and smoked him
Reply #1 - 06/02/08 at 22:35:24

I don't condone such juvenile behavior either! Wink
That said, well done Sir!! Some HD riders can be really frustrating. Don't wave back (I actually had one flip me off!), put down anything that's not a HD; all the while polishing their chrome, or trailering the bike to shows and rallys instead of riding their precious "baby" (ooh, might get a scratch!) Thankfully they're the minority of HD owners and riders. Still, it doesn't hurt to deflate a little undeserved ego every once in a while.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/02/08 at 23:06:19

I havent had a big problem with HD riders before really. Nothing like that anyway. A guy I work with rides a HD thats "far from stock" and "REALLY fast" but I have yet to see it in the parking lot, where as I have ridden any day it wasnt STORMING or my bike incapacitated since it hit 50*F. On my Reb 250 until I got the Savage a month or so ago. I digress, usually its not so blatantly rude. With the 250 especially it goes along this line "Oh a 250 huh? What kind?", "Oh a Rebel? Wow, I didnt know they still made those. Had one when I was about your age. Good bike. Mine never gave me trouble anyway. But seriously. These days, you'll want something bigger in no time." Sure enough I moved up to the Savage. But still. I was already doing at least 50 when the guy passed me. I always speed a little so I know he wasnt just mad at me going under the speed limit (I hate when people do that). It just seemed to me to be a slap in the face. I'm learning more and more that the Savage is a SOLID machine and I've got my life riding on it, literally, so if you insult my bike you insult me and I just cant have that. It was fun. Also stupid. But fun.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/03/08 at 04:06:47

I dont know why, but with all the danged HD's in Longview, I just cant seem to catch one that wants to try this 650 out. None have passed me, I know that's for sure. I tried tio get a lady to race me the other day. She & I were getting ready to leave church & I thought it would at least be a chance to see how it holds up against a Sportster, but she declined, saying she drives slow & wants to live.. Imagine! Some people will use ANY excuse!

Some day, me & Bull will get our shot at one, & it's be the most hopped up HD in town.. AND we will win,, BIG! Roll Eyes

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #4 - 06/03/08 at 07:00:44

so you took turns blowing by each other when the other wasn't paying attention.  I don't really consider that a kill for either of you; that's what all the fart piped cars do.

Line up from a stop with any sportster and see what happens.  Especially a 1200.

I'm not a HD guy at all, don't own one, don't plan to, but let's be realistic, the 1200 Sporty is a quick bike for a classic cruiser.  Not v-rod fast, but quick for what it is.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #5 - 06/03/08 at 08:22:42

I think a standard Savage takes about 6.9 seconds to get to 60,  an 883 anything quoted from 6.5 to 6.9 ( - that's close!) and a 1200 Sportster is around 5.5.

Found this list of Harley quarter figures:

V-ROD 11.92 @ 112.8MPH
SOFTAIL DUECE 13.14 @ 97.2MPH
SPORTSTER 1200 SPORT 13.39 @ 95.2MPH
DYNA T-SPORT 13.68 @ 94.3MPH
ROAD KING CLASSIC 13.74 @ 93.8MPH
DYNA SUPER GLIDE SPORT 13.77 @ 93.7MPH
ROAD KING STANDARD 13.80 @ 93.5MPH
SPORTSTER 1200 CUSTOM 13.89 @ 93.7MPH
FAT BOY 13.97 @ 91.9MPH
DYNA SUPER GLIDE 14.03 @ 91.9MPH
HERITAGE ST CLASSIC 14.28 @ 92.2MPH
ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE 14.69 @ 86.7MPH
SPORTSTER 883 STANDARD 14.77 @ 89.9MPH
SPORTSTER 883R 15.63 @ 83.3MPH

Here's the bad news:

Savage   16.35 at 77.2  (Sadly, but that's a restricted 650 for you).

With Lancer's cam, carb and pod air filter and a good exhaust he's taken the 0-60 to under 5 seconds - that's some improvement on standard and would certainly show a Sportster how it's done!!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #6 - 06/03/08 at 11:29:34

Quote:
With Lancer's cam, carb and pod air filter and a good exhaust he's taken the 0-60 to under 5 seconds

how was this measured?  Gtech?

Of course if you start to mod the savage you have to allow for the other guy to be modded too.

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #7 - 06/03/08 at 12:56:51

Hey Burn-
Good on ya.  I got a good laugh out of this.  People are constantly stopping me and asking what kind of bike I'm on.  They can't believe the power coming out of a single cylinder.  Had a cop pull up next to me at the gas station this morning and ask "How big IS that engine?" I told him it was a 650.  He sucks air and goes, "In a single?"  Yup.    Got the same look from the Sporster I blew by yesterday.  Not that he couldn't have smoked me, but some people just don't know how to ride a motorcycle the way a motorcycle was meant to be ridden.  

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight.  It's the size of the fight in the dog." Cool

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 06/03/08 at 17:23:05

[quote author=695543496C5756220 link=1212470311/0#5 date=1212506562]I think a standard Savage takes about 6.9 seconds to get to 60,  an 883 anything quoted from 6.5 to 6.9 ( - that's close!) /quote]

Hmmm?  Are you saying a 650 single performs about like an 883 twin?  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/04/08 at 06:55:08

[quote author=606370707B343A743332020 link=1212470311/0#8 date=1212538985]KwakNut wrote on 06/03/08 at 08:22:42:
I think a standard Savage takes about 6.9 seconds to get to 60,  an 883 anything quoted from 6.5 to 6.9 ( - that's close!) /quote]
Point taken!

But . . . engine for engine, no.

Bike for bike, factoring the significant differences in weight and gearing, yes - at low speed only because of the gearing and weight.

The real difference is shown over the quarter:

Sportster 883 Standard        14.77 @ 89.9 mph
Savage LS650                     16.35 @ 77.2 mph

At the end of the quarter that means he's going to have over 60 yards on the Savage and pulling away hard - and that kind of difference is just as bad as having sand kicked in you face by the big guy on the beach.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/04/08 at 07:07:51

furious70 wrote on 06/03/08 at 11:29:34:
Quote:
With Lancer's cam, carb and pod air filter and a good exhaust he's taken the 0-60 to under 5 seconds

how was this measured?  Gtech?
Of course if you start to mod the savage you have to allow for the other guy to be modded too.
Not sure on the measurement, you'd have to ask Lancer.

As for the mods, very true, but the Savage is unusual in that it has designed-in restrictions when it comes out of the factory, while the other bike doesn't.  
The sorts of mods mentioned are really only taking the Savage to where it should be as an unrestricted roadbike, not tuning it beyond where it should have been in the first place.

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #11 - 06/04/08 at 11:59:24

I think I lot of bike owners would say the same about their bike however.  A lot of bikes are 'restricted' to some degree.  My bike is hobbled to the tune of 12-15hp, mostly because of the snakepit of an intake tract on it.  Put a $20 9" car air cleaner assembly on it, plug in a PCIII, and 12-15hp show up.  2-4hp more with the right pipe.  That's a difference you feel, and it's all bolt in parts that can be done in a weekend.  

It's commonly agreed to by mean streak owners that the above mods is how the bike _should have_ come from the factory.  That doesn't really amount to a hill of beans though.  To me a bike is either stock, or it's not.  And if it's not, then comparing it apples to apples no longer works.

I must admit, I'd be surprised by a savage running 0-60 in under 5 sec.  That's actually pretty fast for a lawn mower engine  Grin .  I would think a standard rear tire would lack traction to get out that hard.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/04/08 at 12:14:56

furious70 wrote on 06/04/08 at 11:59:24:
I must admit, I'd be surprised by a savage running 0-60 in under 5 sec.  That's actually pretty fast for a lawn mower engine  Grin .  I would think a standard rear tire would lack traction to get out that hard.
Really don't see why - 5 seconds isn't quick at all in bike terms, and most bikes, even on hard touring tyres, will lift the front wheel before they'll spin the rear as long as it's warm.

I have a Kawasaki ZL1000 cruiser/musclebike which has hard old tyres and will pull 60 in under 4 no problem.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 06/04/08 at 15:05:25

[quote author=566A7C765368691D0 link=1212470311/0#9 date=1212587708]barry68v10 wrote on 06/03/08 at 17:23:05:
KwakNut wrote on 06/03/08 at 08:22:42:
I think a standard Savage takes about 6.9 seconds to get to 60,  an 883 anything quoted from 6.5 to 6.9 ( - that's close!) /quote]
Point taken!

But . . . engine for engine, no.

Bike for bike, factoring the significant differences in weight and gearing, yes - at low speed only because of the gearing and weight.

The real difference is shown over the quarter:

Sportster 883 Standard        14.77 @ 89.9 mph
Savage LS650                     16.35 @ 77.2 mph

At the end of the quarter that means he's going to have over 60 yards on the Savage and pulling away hard - and that kind of difference is just as bad as having sand kicked in you face by the big guy on the beach.

True.  But how much does engine/tranny design factor in the overall weight?  Any 350 lb. or 370 lb. multis out there?

And what's the difference in gearing?

We just said that multis are always quicker than singles....what about first 1/8 mile or first 100 yards...how about 0-40mph or first 50 feet?  Are we willing to make that statement for multiple cylinders in all cases?

Sorry all if I'm hijacking this thread.  I've been pretty busy lately and unable to get in the fray  Wink

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 06/04/08 at 15:39:59

My idea of performance is a high gear roll on from 40mph to 70mph thats the speeds you use most when riding a motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rolled and smoked him

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.