Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
won't start after adjust decomp & valves (Read 282 times)
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
won't start after adjust decomp & valves
06/01/08 at 13:40:33

I've followed everyone's instructions here and have adjusted the automatic decomp and the valves (after confirming I was at TDC on compression stroke).

The instructions from the site say to start the bike w/o putting all the covers and tank back on, since you have some gas in the carb bowl. However when I try this, I get the click/thunk from the decomp and then the bike doesn't turn at all.

Do you have to have the tank on for this to work?
I'm also the guy that had whatever that little idle gear fall off when I took the left side cover off (neighbor bashed in the timing bolt cover and I had to fish metal pieces out). The bike turns over fine using the wrench, which I was told proved I had it on the right way, but could I have the gear on backwards?

Any ideas appreicated. Had really hoped to be done with this today.

Thanks,
Derek

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: won't start after adjust decomp & valves
Reply #1 - 06/01/08 at 18:00:18

Take the sparkplug out and take the starter off.  Then try to turn it backwards just a little (using wrench).  

If the gear is jammed, it won't go.  If it's free and if the starter & plug are out you should be able to turn it a little backwards.  Note: don't go nuts ...  just a littlle.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #2 - 06/01/08 at 19:53:24

Take the starter off from the outside of the bike? Guess I have to look at how to do that. Turn it backwards from the timing nut hole?

Would it just be easier to take the left cover off and flip the gear? Anybody have a picture of what it's supposed to look like? Probably should've asked before I put the cover back on. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 06/04/08 at 00:02:20

Is this what you needed to see?

There are more pictures in that whole directory:
http://catoosatrading.com/images/cycles/lh_crankcase/

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 06/04/08 at 10:45:42

dex3703 wrote on 06/01/08 at 19:53:24:
Take the starter off from the outside of the bike? Guess I have to look at how to do that. Turn it backwards from the timing nut hole?

Would it just be easier to take the left cover off and flip the gear? Anybody have a picture of what it's supposed to look like? Probably should've asked before I put the cover back on. Smiley

Two bolts hold the starter in.  Take off the wire, and the two bolts.  Slide (tap) the strarter to the clutch side and it comes out.  Super easy....

Why....  what if it's in correctly??   Taking it apart means draining oil, redoing the gasket and making a general oily mess.  

Do the simple things first.....

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #5 - 06/07/08 at 16:18:58

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend.

I do notice that I put the bike in 5th and rolled it back and forth, and it rolled fine. I did this as part of the notes to move it off TDC to help it start. I don't guess that would affect the starter though, right?

Thanks, Derek

WWW   IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/08/08 at 03:01:39

Hi,

Here's something else to try - locate the starter solenoid - its bolted to the rear fender and lives deep under the seat.

Peel back the rubber boot that covers the electrical connections on the top of the solenoid and ....... making sure the ignition is on and the bikes in neutral first (!) bridge the two large terminals with a screwdriver, one equiped with a wooden or plastic handle mind.

Only do this momentarily otherwise you will weld the screwdriver to the terminals  Shocked.

If the engine turns over when you bridge the terminals then you have an issue with the starter solenoid not the decomp solenoid and valves. If you are lucky its just a discharged battery, if not then the Clymer manual tells you how to test the integrity of the starter solenoid and its easy and cheap enough to replace.

Also, by the sound of it the bike suffered some trauma around the starter motor area so it could well be worth unbolting the starter motor and making sure it will turn freely, it could be stuck.

And one other thing I have just thought of - does your bike have to start with the clutch in? If so make sure the connections on the handlebar switch are sound and remember that if the bike is in gear and the side stand is down, the bike won't turn even with the clutch safety switch activated (there's another one on the side stand to prevent you riding off with it down).

I hope some of that helps chap.

All the Best

IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #7 - 06/08/08 at 16:32:57

I had the gear on backwards. I took the starter motor off and could see inside, and it didn't match the photos. The starter spun ok outside of the bike, so I went ahead and took everything off and flipped it. I just now took the plug wire off and touched the starter, and it turns over. I came to check and see where the washer went and it looks like I got that right.

Thanks for everybody's help!

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 06/08/08 at 16:46:55

Very cool.  I'm glad it worked out for you.  I adjusted my valves the other day, and I'm still on pins and needles, waiting to hear some ugly noise that explains where I left my wrist watch. Wink

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #9 - 06/08/08 at 17:29:49

Something happened. It cranked when I had the case on loosely. Now that I have all the bolts in and the oil refilled, it's frozen again. It does the same clack and nothing happens as when I had the gear the other way.

What am I doing wrong? I'm really tired of screwing with this. The starter motor turns fine outside of the crankcase.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/08/08 at 20:33:01

Look at the mount where the starter goes. Is it STraight? Is there anything jacking the thing sideways a bit, binding the gears up? Pop the side cover off & leave the starter in place & see whats binding. Hang tough,, youll win, some things just require a certain amount of head sctratching.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 06/09/08 at 07:28:55

Sounds like your're still pinching the gear.   Sorry to say, but it sounds like you'll need to take it apart again.     Did you try what I suggested????

It matters which side of the gear the washer goes and which way the gear is in.  

On a brighter note,  at least you'll get to be an expert.....

---
  IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #12 - 06/09/08 at 08:39:29

I didn't actually do the wrench turning backwards, because when I looked inside with the starter motor off, it was clear that I had the gear on backwards compared to the pictures.

Can somebody send me a diagram of how these things are suposed to go on? Or tell me the order of the parts? Which side does the washer go on?

Thanks, Derek

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #13 - 06/11/08 at 03:02:47

dex3703 wrote on 06/09/08 at 08:39:29:
I didn't actually do the wrench turning backwards, because when I looked inside with the starter motor off, it was clear that I had the gear on backwards compared to the pictures.

Can somebody send me a diagram of how these things are suposed to go on? Or tell me the order of the parts? Which side does the washer go on?

Thanks, Derek

The parts are laying in the correct order for re-assembly in the picture I posted above. If you can't see the washer in question; that is because it is already behind the gear it goes with.

You may double-check by looking at one of the on-line micro-fiches'.  At Ron Ayer's or Bike Bandit.

Cool Cool

IP Logged
dex3703
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Seattle
Reply #14 - 06/14/08 at 14:57:08

According to the diagram at Ronayers.com, there isn't a washer on this gear at all. I might have put it in the wrong place. I guess we'll see.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/Mak...

If anyone has any other suggestions or tips please let me know. I"m in Seattle if anybody wants to volunteer to help.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:30:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › won't start after adjust decomp & valves

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.