Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brake squeal, belt squeal (Read 229 times)
gregp
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Brake squeal, belt squeal
06/01/08 at 12:42:08

New rider, bought a 2002 in Sep07 with 2400 miles, put 4000 on since then, mostly commuting, I will ride most days unless below freezing or raining like crazy.  The brakes squealed when I bought it, had new pads put on then, it was a little better, but now its back with a vengence.  Also, lately I hear drive belt squeal as well.  Is there a way to tell if new pads are needed, without disassembly of the brake?  Also, I saw a post about a 90 degree tightening of the drive belt.  What is this?  Is there a way to check the tension?  I don't have a manual, nor tool kit.

Thanks for the help

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Re: Brake squeal, belt squeal
Reply #1 - 06/04/08 at 07:17:43

You might consider buying a Clymer manual on Ebay. I got mine for around $10. I don't just read it before doing repairs or maintenance, I keep it in reach and read it when I'm lounging around.

The belt squeal/chirp will drive a person insane. The 90 degree tension testing method is just twisting the belt with your fingers. If you're able to twist it 90 degrees, your tension should be close to correct.

The squeal/chirp can be caused by a number of things, usually a mis-aligned rear wheel or incorrect belt tension. The Clymer has step-by-step guidance on how to adjust the tension/rear wheel. It's fairly straight-forward. When I did mine, I first removed the front pulley cover and noticed that the belt was hugging the outside of the pulley, but it was hugging the inside of the rear pulley. There was also a ton of crud in there which I cleaned out. Canned air is good to have around.

You need to loosen the rear axle nut, and adjust the tension using both nuts on either side of the rear wheel. I will allow the more experienced wrenchers to chime in with their approach to tension/alignment as my approach didn't work very well. The belt was still chirping away. What did get rid of it? I used a toothbrush and a container filled with warm water and dish soap. I scrubbed the inside of the belt and dried it with the canned air as I went along (found a tech tip online using this approach). Then I sprayed the inside of the belt with Suzuki brand dry silicone lube. I also shot just a bit of canned grease in the rear of the pulley, careful to not get it on the belt.

This approach goes against everything I've read, and the more experienced wrenchers will probably give me hell. But for the time being, my belt chirping is gone. Time will tell.

Oh, and watch those cover bolts, they snap easy if not torqued to spec. You'll feel like it needs "one more turn" to tighten, and that's when it'll snap on you. If you don't have a torque wrench, buy one. You're gonna need it.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/04/08 at 13:32:23

What happened to my reply? it's gone.

Savage brakes squeal.  Let's people know you're comin'.

Caused by brake dust.  Wash off with soap and water, squeal gone.

Next time use softer pads, EBC reds don't squeal at all.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/04/08 at 16:21:26

I waas gonna tough it out, let the danged belt squeal. Since the last ride in the rain, tho, it has gotten unbearable, embarrassing even. I finally took a chink of Gulf canning wax & rubbed a bit on the belt edges & some on the cogs. No Mo Squealing.. be aware, it will sling the wax off, onto the wheel. I sprayed a bit of oil on the wheel, so the wax wont be able to stick. This lasts a long time, once the excess slings off,it stops making a mess & stops the squeek for a good while. Canning wax is available at the grocery store.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dropoutjohn
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/08 at 18:12:55

verslagen1 wrote on 06/04/08 at 13:32:23:
Next time use softer pads, EBC reds don't squeal at all.

i'll second that on the brake pads and your belt is probably loose BUT also dry. try some silicone spray.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #5 - 06/05/08 at 21:13:03

The couple times I got belt squeak, it was just plain dirty.  After decent cleaning with a high-pressure rinse, it went away.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/06/08 at 07:33:27

My belt has a small hole in it, where a rock jumped up on the belt & thought it was a conveyor belt, taking it to the crusher. Well, it didnt crush the darn rock, it shoved it thru the belt. Its been like that a couple of years. I have a used belt & I think its time it see some service. I am gonna put the belt guard back on, while I am in there & I am gonna shim the rear pulley up tight using inner tube  bits. SO, now I have a reason to ride into town, to round up an old tube. I have one, but its usable, so I dont want to cut it up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gregp
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 06/09/08 at 23:52:27

Thank you all for the advise.  Picked up a Clymer manual the other day. I guess now the fun begins...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/10/08 at 03:57:56

Brake squeal is cause my the brake pad vibrating,you can get stuff to put on the back of pads from auto stores,you need to take pad off put the rubber like stuff on back of pads,I let sit over night and then put the pads back on It has stopped the squeal for me .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
savageguy
YaBB Newbies

Newb

Reply #9 - 06/10/08 at 07:23:01

Excellent! I was going to search for a thread about this very issue and it was right in the top of the list of new threads.

I just bought a 2003 Savage, my first bike, and I was cruising around my neighborhood last night getting a feel for it.  I noticed the brakes squeal (not loudly, more like a dull whine).  They're very responsive -- more responsive than the brakes on the beat-up Rebel from my MSF course.  So, this sounds like my exact issue.

Is this a safety issue or an annoyance?  Can I still ride it with the squeal for a couple of weeks or should I get it fixed immediately?  I bought it from a dealer and they did a safety inspection prior to handing it over.  I assume that means it's safe to ride and just annoying to hear but wanted to make sure.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 06/10/08 at 07:28:45

You can ride it that way

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
savageguy
YaBB Newbies

Newb

Reply #11 - 06/10/08 at 07:49:45

Thanks!

After the bike, helmet, jacket, etc. etc. I'm a little broke this month.  Next month I'll be buying the Clymer and tools -- but I'm glad to see I can put that off for a bit and not sink more money in this month!  Thanks again!

IP Logged
Christian O Reilly
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/10/08 at 08:05:11

Just in case you didn't already noticed and to help you in your wainting, there's an online version of the Climer that can be found via http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1186945546

Christian
  IP Logged
a44spl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/10/08 at 10:32:19

If the rear wheel is out of line the belt will try to ride up the side of the pully and it will squeel. I jacked up the bike with rear wheel off the ground and adjusted it rolling wheel forward until the belt tracked in center of the pully with a little space on each side. It cleared up the squeel and also the whine it had when decellerating in  5th gear. Mine was so bad I thought it had bearing trouble. I don't know if that will help, but it fixed mine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:28:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake squeal, belt squeal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.