Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb innards looking kinda' crispy... (Read 304 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Carb innards looking kinda' crispy...
05/31/08 at 19:16:20

Is this a bad thing?

It doesn't wipe off with carb cleaner.  I haven't scrubbed or scraped or hammered yet.  Just sprayed and wiped to no avail.  Is it worth trying to clean, or should I quit while I'm ahead?  

I presume this is the "slide galling" I've read about?  I am just learning by tearing the thing apart, so I'll probably screw up the terminology.

Oh, and Savage Wahine, one thing you could include in your very excellent technical document...

"If you are nauseated by the smell of gasoline, as I am, just disconnect all the lines to the carb.  Then let the bike sit in an old barn full of owls and pigeons for approximately one year.  Owl and pigeon poop makes an excellent gasoline odor masker." Grin

This is off the parts bike, so I'm not in a big yank over it.  I wanted to make a practice run before screwing around with the People Eater's carb.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Carb innards looking kinda' crispy...
Reply #1 - 06/01/08 at 05:34:03

BAD ? ?   It does not look good.

Some fine grade steel wool will clean the slide of the carbon, but the more important question for the the moment is what is the condition of the rubber diaphram?  Is is still soft and supple   Smiley or have any holes/cracks/etc in it at all ?  Clean it gently with warm soap and water and then apply some vinyl/leather cleaner with your fingers.  While doing so you should be able to feel any stiffness and find any holes or cracks.  It it is not in PERFECT  like new condition  then it should be buried in a small unmarked grave.  New replacement slide/diaphram from Suzuki costs about as much as a new aftermarket carb, so if it is dead then start looking for a replacement carb.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 06/01/08 at 05:50:01

Actually, I was really surprised at how pristine it was.  When I saw the slide I figured the carb was shot.  But I cleaned it all out, spiffed it up, and put it back together last night.  The diaphragm was nice and soft with no holes.  This poor bike was ridden by a young man who was mildly autistic.  His dad would tell him things he was supposed to do, but wouldn't do them (kind of a learning tool, I guess) so many basic maintenance issues were neglected.  That's how I ended up with it so cheap.  It ran out of oil.

I'm glad I did it on the spare first.  I must have done something wrong on removal, because I had a bear of a time jerking that thing out of the bike.  I'm a little reluctant to take the one out of my bike, for fear I won't be able to get it back in.  I guess I'll just plunge ahead and hope for the best, though.

I didn't polish the slide.  I cleaned it well with carb cleaner and then put a thin layer of motor oil on it, thinking that might help.  I didn't know what was right, so as usual I just made something up.  If that was a major no-no, please let me know so I don't go sticking it in the People Eater and blowing something up.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/01/08 at 08:56:59

no oil, no finger prints either.  it will cause the slide to stick.

I used 400 or 600 paper to clean.

Do you know what that stuff is?

some oil, some varnish, some carbon.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 06/01/08 at 09:03:53

Thanks Verslagen1.  I'll open it back up and clean that off.  Then I might just stick it on my bike to see how I did.  I know to most of you guys, this is basic stuff.  But it's been a long time since I monkeyed with a carburetor, and even back then I was no pro.

Thanks for putting up with the ignorance.  All of you make this a fantastic site.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/01/08 at 09:14:23

No prob.

Last year when I opened mine, it was coated so evenly (with only a scrape here of there) I thought it was supposed to be there cause it looked like dry lube.

Cleaned it off, and gained a few mpg's.

WWW   IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - 06/01/08 at 09:18:30

I've been successful over the years cleaning a similar part (slide) on SU carbs (English Cars).  I use lacquer thinner, the paint thinner that is retailed in steel containers (quart or liter).  If that fails to remove all the residue (carbon) I finish with a white polishing compound usually Turtle Liquid white polish.  Keep the slide (piston) dry, no lubrication and as verslagen1 has said not even any finger prints.  Lancer made a good point in cleaning the diaphram rubber.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/01/08 at 11:37:30

Run some Sea Foam in your gas every couple months it cleans and lubes the carb,even on a new bike its good to do.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 06/01/08 at 23:47:45

Verslagen is right ,mine was black all overI thought that is was supposed to be like that,I used 600 grit wet dry on it and it worked great, after cleaning and reassembling  you should be able to open the throttle and when you let go it should close fast,if it's still sluggish ,clean some more,good luck

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #9 - 06/02/08 at 09:22:08

dang...if I had known it wasn't supposed to be black I might have saved the money I just sent off on a good used one!

I thought it was black and was wearing the black coating off.  Supposed to be unfinished metal, eh?

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 06/02/08 at 09:27:34

The smooth black is supose to be there - the shinny part is where it has worn away - rough black is a build up - very fine grit - 600+ paper and clean as possible before it goes back in.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 06/02/08 at 11:20:16

and I said the rough black is build up - but it's really a lot of things - the smooth black finish has worn down - not it collects dirt or what ever and some is te finish it self just fuzz'n up - clean the slide bore of the carb as well as a little polishing on the slide - no oil, no finger prints, no nut'n

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 06/02/08 at 13:42:36

I thought that the slide was supposed to be black. When I did my carb mods the slide was completely black with only a small wear mark on it and the bike had only 2,000 miles on it. I think that the smoothness of the slide is more of an issue, any little piece of dirt or oil will cause it to hang up.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 06/02/08 at 20:56:33

for sure a new is black shines like a bowling ball - wears and gets a little fuzzy wears more and you hit the raw metal

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/03/08 at 11:41:34

I'm sure that you guys might be right about the black coating on your slides, but his is bright silver in the middle where no contact is made with the rest of the carb.  So I'd say that his doesn't have a coating and go ahead and make the whole thing bright.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:37:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb innards looking kinda' crispy...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.