Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New to the  site, and new to the Savage (Read 232 times)
Seth
YaBB Newbies

Indianapolis
New to the  site, and new to the Savage
05/31/08 at 11:57:42

Hi all, just recently bought a 2001 Savage 650, bought it for 1500 dollars, with 9500 miles, and from an older gentleman.  Bike is in great shape, bought it to try and keep my fuel costs down, since my other vehicle is a 01 Dodge Cummins.  had a few questions about the bike, and was hoping maybe someone here could help me out.  I noticed when I bought the bike, that unlike my old VStar, it does not have an adjustable trip odometer.  Now, while it's not really necessary, I can't lie, I got used to being lazy and being able to tell at a glance how my fuel was doing.  Is there any type of aftermarket fuel guage, whether it's one of the cap style, or some sort of odometer that I can put on the Savage?  and if not, would you all agree that the avg mileage would be around 100 per tank?  
My last question is how do you guys feel about taking the 650 on the freeway?  It's a lot lighter and smaller than my VStar was, and I live in Cali right now, so I would have to cruise at around 70-75 just to be able to ride the freeway.  Thanks!

01 Savage 650, 01 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD with mods, 72 Jeepster Commando.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New to the  site, and new to the Savage
Reply #1 - 05/31/08 at 12:02:01

Suggest the chain conversion & if its not rejetted & an aftermarket exhaust, you gonna need it.
Dodge Cummins,, yikes! Cost about $200.00 to fill it up?
Welcome to the site.

OHH, How far is that 70/75 MPH ride?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Seth
YaBB Newbies

Indianapolis
Reply #2 - 05/31/08 at 12:15:45

It's about 115 miles, give or take, what I'd be doing, probably about 2-2 1/5 hours.   As far as the Dodge, yeah, that sounds about right, filling up from E, I've got a 35 gallon tank on it too....

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/31/08 at 12:18:25

i have a cheap 3 didgit luggage type lock hanging from handle bar cables use it as gas gauge/ trip meter..bout 50 mpg...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 05/31/08 at 12:27:26

I bought a Schwinn bicycle computer for $9.00 at WalMart.  I hardly ever look at the Savage speedo anymore.  I just hear it rattling, or I'd have forgotten it was there.  Computer tells speed, miles, time of day, and a bunch of other stuff.  Many others have done a similar install and so far I haven't heard anyone say they regret it.

I figure 135 miles from plumb full to pushing the bike.  On the day I got the best mileage ever (61.5 mpg) it would have been 165 miles, but you don't really know that until you fill up again.  I take the advice I was given and refuel at 100, but I still don't know if the "RES" setting on my new petcock works.  Never had to use it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Seth
YaBB Newbies

Indianapolis
Reply #5 - 05/31/08 at 12:27:34

that's a great idea...I like it!

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #6 - 05/31/08 at 18:39:43

I've taken mine on the freeway many times, but never for more than an hour at a time.  I only really feel uncomfortable if I'm being tailgated or in a fast lane that I shouldn't be in.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #7 - 05/31/08 at 18:51:31

Gas guage?  We don't need no stinkin gas guages!

Ride till yo hit the reserve.  Once you switch it over, you have about 40 miles left.  Thats enough time to think about getting fuel.

If you want to get real creative, thump on the tank.  If it sounds dead (like thumping on a piece of wood) its full.  If is sounds hollow, you need gas.  There, how much did that cost?  Oh, nothing....

As for riding it on the freeway, don't.  The bike is a death trap.  If you go faster than 35mph, it will vibrate your kidneys out of your body.  Even if you could get it up to 55mph, you'll have to get off and puch it up hills....

Ok, I got that out of my system....  I'm just tired of reading everyone reservations about riding their bikes, like bikes.  They act like they're made from model plastic, held together with super glue and stickers.

Of course you can ride your Savage on the freeway.  It will comfortably cruise up to 70mph (after that, the wind buffeting makes the ride uncomfortable).  The bike is plenty capable to make a cross-country trip with no special preparations.  It is ALOT more bike than the detractors will ever admit to.

Seriously, if it was the fragile piece of crap that people make it out to be, I'd have gotten rid of it long ago.

What it is, is solid, reliable, simple, user friendly, light, maneuverable, fuel efficient, inexpensive, pure fun.  

Just ride the danged thing. Quit worrying...  If you keep that up, you'll have a 1000lb road king by the end of the summer, then be lamenting ever getting rid of your Savage...... Grin

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Seth
YaBB Newbies

Indianapolis
Reply #8 - 05/31/08 at 20:09:28

I have no reservations about riding it like a bike, and I understand that it's still a 650, but like I said, it feels a lot smaller and lighter than my old VStar.  works for me!

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #9 - 05/31/08 at 20:28:15

Hi Seth,

Welcome to the world of Savages.

wrt Trip Od- I just write it on my receipt when I fill up and keep it in the breast pocket of my jacket.  Whenever I fill up I throw away the old receipt.  I usually can keep the number in my head though.  

wrt Fuel- I fill up every 100 miles or so, and I've gotten 48 and 50mpg my last two tanks.  

wrt Freeways- I too was leary of taking a smaller bike out in "big" traffic.  Over 60 without a windshield was pretty gnarly at first, but I got used to it and do it daily now.  Of course with a windshield 70's would be comfortable.  The bike can handle it if you can.

Welcome Aboard

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Seth
YaBB Newbies

Indianapolis
Reply #10 - 05/31/08 at 20:44:19

thanks all for the advice...like I said, I was never worried about romping on my VStar on the freeway, used to ride it on the freeway all the time, but it was a bigger, heavier bike.  The Savage seems smaller and lighter, don't know if it's more of a mental thing, but I do know the dry weight is different between the two bikes, the Savage being the smaller of the two.  The only other reason I was worried about taking the Savage on the freeway on a trip, is right now, I'm stationed out in 29 Palms, so I really don't want to pick the wrong route to somewhere, and find out I missed my last refuel point, and now I"m stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, waiting for someone to stop and help me refuel.  Again, with the VStar, I got lazy, and knew how much further I could go before I had to refuel, so I could plan my stops accordingly.  I really hate hitting my reserve, it's never a good feeling.  I did end up going out and buying a bicycle odometer, and installing it on the bike.  It works great, and it's calibrated if not exact, pretty darn close to what it should be.

« Last Edit: 05/31/08 at 22:10:19 by Seth »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 05/31/08 at 23:14:56

You can haul a 1 gallon can around, well, plastic gas containers, not metal. Once you get comfortable with the route & all, stop hauling..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 06/01/08 at 05:23:00

Even if the bike were out of tune and running poorly it would still get 100 miles to the tank, and as mentioned before if you swap the choking stock muffler for one that actually flows some air and rejet the carb then you will cruise with ease at 75.  
The Savage is a lighter than the overweight cruisers these days, but with a little time in the saddle it is not an issue for most  folks.  Heck, even cars will respond to crosswind, but for me as long as it does not actually push me off the road I am good to ride.  When I started riding at 15 a 650 was a big bike...with the exception of the BIG HOG of course.  
For most people who ride, 90% of their riding 90% of the time can be handled most efficiently by a bike in the 600-800cc range which will fall into the 350-450 lb range.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #13 - 06/01/08 at 05:30:38

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 05/31/08 at 18:51:31:
As for riding it on the freeway, don't.  The bike is a death trap.  If you go faster than 35mph, it will vibrate your kidneys out of your body.  Even if you could get it up to 55mph, you'll have to get off and puch it up hills....

You had me scared for a second. Must be too early in the morning. I thought an evil twin had taken you over.

Cruise control gets put on this next week when I get the service. Ready for the highway!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/01/08 at 19:36:34

I just hit "Res4erve" with 94 miles on the tank. I romped  played the whole way. Conservative riding would surely have given me another 10 or 12 miles..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:27:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to the  site, and new to the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.