Send Topic Print
Sucking oil down (Read 276 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Sucking oil down
05/30/08 at 21:52:05

I can ride 50 miles & need to top off the oil. It'as not time to change it, but I am gonna, just to see if I have enough metal in the crank case to cast another engine with. The air filter is clean. I cant think of anything that would just make it suck oil, except I have ridden it hard, but I did break it in according to the rules. I have been good about keeping the oil changed, maybe more often would have been better. Its running great, no banging & clattering.
Clues?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Sucking oil down
Reply #1 - 05/30/08 at 22:07:38

No clues here, but I hope you figure it out.  I put 1000 miles on my bike without burning a drop.  Then I washed it good and used a pint in about a week.  I hope the crud on the engine wasn't all that was holding my oil in.

I'm watching it closely right now.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/30/08 at 22:13:25

What mileage do you guys have?

I have over 31k and yep I'm burning oil like wise.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 05/30/08 at 22:25:16

It about to turn either 17 K or 18 K,, suddenly, duuhhhh..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/30/08 at 22:53:42

I cant imagine burning that much oil without smoke coming from somewhere. A pint a week?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/31/08 at 06:42:30

It sooots the brake arm up pretty quick, BUT, I just cant seem to keep an eye on it & run it. I need to get the kid to follow me, or me follow her.  I can burn a pint in 2 days I Think, I am a little skeert, because I may have hurt it, because I had pulled the choke to the first cluick, & I thought I shoved the knob back in, but, when I was almost home I realized it was still at 1/2 & I had been riding hard for an hour or more..seems like the oil issue has been a bigger deal since, BUT, I have managed a higher top end since the high speed oil use started & after that day.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 06/01/08 at 05:36:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/08 at 06:42:30:
It sooots the brake arm up pretty quick, BUT, I just cant seem to keep an eye on it & run it. I need to get the kid to follow me, or me follow her.  I can burn a pint in 2 days I Think, I am a little skeert, because I may have hurt it, because I had pulled the choke to the first cluick, & I thought I shoved the knob back in, but, when I was almost home I realized it was still at 1/2 & I had been riding hard for an hour or more..seems like the oil issue has been a bigger deal since, BUT, I have managed a higher top end since the high speed oil use started & after that day.

If it soots up that badly I would say you are burning rather than leaking.  Now the question is where from.  Have some one with a keen eye follow you.  If you burn a consistant blue or burn more on hard acceleration I would check your compression.  You may need new rings or your oil ring could be broke or wore out.  I believe savage greg had an issue that his rings sacked out and his was so bad it would barely run.  This is oil coming up from below the piston.

If it only smokes at start up and/or on slamming the thottle shut at high rpms then you have valve guides/seals leaking and it is coming down from above in the head.  When you slam the throttle shut you create vacuum cycles and leaky valve guides/seals will allow the oil to be sucked down out of the head.

good luck!

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/01/08 at 16:16:16

I have noted in the past that when its time for an oil change, it starts using oil. I changed it last nite, so, Ill watch it & see whats up.The basics you laid out is what I was after, Smokin Blue, thanks.

It runs good. I saw 94 on the speedo last week. I kinda think its running better than its ever run. THAT bugs me. I used to fly model planes, & when an engine peaked, it was just a few flights from needing a rebuild..

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #8 - 06/01/08 at 19:47:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/01/08 at 16:16:16:
I have noted in the past that when its time for an oil change, it starts using oil. I changed it last nite, so, Ill watch it & see whats up.The basics you laid out is what I was after, Smokin Blue, thanks.

It runs good. I saw 94 on the speedo last week. I kinda think its running better than its ever run. THAT bugs me. I used to fly model planes, & when an engine peaked, it was just a few flights from needing a rebuild..

Yah...two strokes always run the best right before they seize!!  (I guess that's what makes the ragged edges such a fun place)

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 06/01/08 at 22:17:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/08 at 06:42:30:
It sooots the brake arm up pretty quick
that's a carb tune likely enough - what are feeding it - 20w-50 or thin stuff?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/02/08 at 08:55:48

15-40 rotella. 150 main, stock pilot, Trapp with 14 disks.

I rode the snot out of it , now I need to look at the oil. I kinda forgot about the oil usage at the end of the life of it. The oil gets sheered in the gears & as the shafts rotate, shortening the physical length of the hydrocarbon chain.It seems to "Go Away" fast after I get 2,000 miles or so on an oil change.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 06/02/08 at 09:30:54

2k is far enough to run the oil - even syn - imho

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/02/08 at 09:49:56

I am coming into agreement.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 06/02/08 at 10:01:37

just does too many jobs in this engine - lube for the all the contact parts, beat to death on the trans gears, and cooked on the hot parts as a cooling agent - has a hard life

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/02/08 at 15:21:46

The onset of oil usage after being beat & crushed & scorched is an indicator. Time for fresh oil. Next time, Ill be more attentive. I dont think its running thru now. I do thik I'll do what Old Feller does & get some serious magnets working on it.
After I dumped the oil from the gallon catch pan, I took some pretty stout little magnets, that I had removed from a dead Sonic Care toothbrush, & held them just over, not in, the oil, close to a dark area. I moved them slowly & when I lifted them away & looked, there was a tiny trail of dark matter that had been attracted to the magnets. TINY stuff, so small there was no flat surface that would reflect a glint. I bel;ieve OF's idea is well worth the expense & hassle of installing.

TIA, O.F.

If you just felt like dropping me a link to your tech article, I would appreciate it. I have never conquered the search feature.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:44:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sucking oil down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.