Send Topic Print
Valve adjustment (Read 181 times)
Gopargur
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valve adjustment
05/29/08 at 20:06:48

Ok, I used the search but came up empty handed.

Now that its spring I am able to get back out on my bike.  After the routine tire/oil check, I took it out only to discover I have gas feeding back into my air filter.  

Now I figure this is from either my valves not being adjusted right or the float.  The only problem is that I don't know how to go about adjusting them.  Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Valve adjustment
Reply #1 - 05/29/08 at 20:28:54

If you havent done anything other than store it for the winter, the valve and float shouldnt be any different.  It sounds to me like you have some junk in your carb that is gumming up the float valve and keeping it from sealing.  Maybe you could drop he fuel bowl from the carba nd spary some carb cleaner up in there.  Just take a screwdriver to the 4 philips head screws.  I use a rachet with an interchangeable hex bit to get the ones next to the battery box.  Loosen all the scres and tweak the battery box back far enought to drop the bowl.

IP Logged
Gopargur
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/30/08 at 18:21:49

Ok, thanks  I'll try that

IP Logged
Gopargur
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/08/08 at 22:27:14

Ok, I have the Float valve taken apart.  But I see no buildup at all.  Upon further taking apart the carb, I found that the needle jet is stuck and will not come out.  Think this could be causing my problems?  Also any advice on how to get it out.  I have tried using a plastic pliers.

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/09/08 at 14:30:09

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Gopargur
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/07/08 at 17:21:35

Ok, my carb is clean and I put in a new float.  But I am still getting a LOT of gas feeding back through my air filter.  When I start it up, it floods through the air filter and within about 15 seconds, whatever gas was in the tank is now on the ground.  Anybody have an idea of what is wrong with it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/07/08 at 17:31:03

Gopargur wrote on 06/08/08 at 22:27:14:
Ok, I have the Float valve taken apart.  But I see no buildup at all.  Upon further taking apart the carb, I found that the needle jet is stuck and will not come out.  Think this could be causing my problems?  Also any advice on how to get it out.  I have tried using a plastic pliers.

This tells me that you didn't use fuel stabilizing or completely drain the gas outa your bike.  So it's likely gummed up in places you can't see.  But check your petcock vac line too.  there should be no gas in there at all.

WWW   IP Logged
Gopargur
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/07/08 at 19:54:57

verslagen1 wrote on 07/07/08 at 17:31:03:
Gopargur wrote on 06/08/08 at 22:27:14:

This tells me that you didn't use fuel stabilizing or completely drain the gas outa your bike.  So it's likely gummed up in places you can't see.  But check your petcock vac line too.  there should be no gas in there at all.

Will do.  Your right, it wasn't drained over winter cause I was at college at the time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:43:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.