Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
650 single VS 650 twin.... (Read 599 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: 650 single VS 650 twin....
Reply #15 - 05/29/08 at 19:31:58

KwakNut wrote on 05/29/08 at 09:18:47:
Paladin. wrote on 05/29/08 at 03:56:26:
For a given displacement, the single puts out more torque than a multi.
....But, very clearly, the average torque of the twins is higher than that of the singles.....
No – I still don’t see it!!

That is because you are NOT looking at average torque.  You are looking at the average PEAK torque.  If you want average torque you need to look at the torque curve from idle up.

A stock KLR650, 33-35 ft-lbs of torque from roughly 2500 to 6000 rpm.
Couldn't find any charts for a comparable twin.

WWW   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #16 - 05/30/08 at 01:58:47

barry68v10 wrote on 05/29/08 at 18:07:38:
Hmmm, for a racer who isn't concerned about clutch replacement, gas mileage or drivability, I'd agree whole-heartedly, but.....

Since I don't fit that category, torque at a given RPM is significant.  You clutch locks up only when the engine and tranny are at the same speed, therefore...to take advantage of torque at a higher RPM you must have increased "slip" to take advantage of it either by tearing your clutch to shreds, or by use of a torque converter, since regardless of your gear ratio, the tranny is at 0 rpms and the engine is > 0 (if it's running.)  Either method is INEFFICIENT and UNHEALTHY for mechanical parts.  Again, no problem for racers.
What makes you think that you have to slip the clutch at higher revs when you change your gearing???  I  pull away from the line in road cars and bikes slipping the clutch in just above idle, wherever the torque peak may be.  If you always slip the clutch to pull away at peak torque then I’d agree – that’s very unhealthy for your vehicles.

There's a cost to everything, multiple cylinders increases complexity, weight, and size for a given displacement.  MPG will also drop.  
Mostly true, though in some cases the twin can be more compact than a long stroke single, and mpg won’t necessarily drop if the smaller engine has a more efficient combustion chamber size.  I wonder though why cars aren’t all single cylinder vehicles, if they’d be lighter, cheaper, more compact and more efficient if they were all singles?

The gear ratio concept applies to racing, but not so much real life...  The Savage runs 4000 rpms at 60 mph stock.  What bike out there runs 16000 rpms at 60 mph in high gear?!?  
None, as well you know, because high revving powerful bikes end up having their gear ratios raised to prevent excessive lifting of the front wheel under acceleration – my sports bike is geared for over 90mph in first just to keep the front wheel on the ground if I open the throttle.
However, the fact remains that cars and bikes with higher-revving motors are geared to take advantage of producing torque higher.

This applies to a lot of ‘sport’ models of cars – they get a more aggressive camshaft to raise the torque curve, and get geared down to take advantage of it.  It even happened in the late 60s and seventies – I seem to recall that some of the Firebird Ram Air 4 and Trans Am models with higher lift cams produced exactly the same torque peak as the standard cam, but higher up the rev range – with the result that they could run a lower differential, and that made them go quicker.  In the real world.  On the highway.

Whatever gearing you choose, the engine that produces torque at the lowest RPMs will take advantage of it sooner and accelerate quicker (but have a lower top speed.)
Sorry, but that’s categorically wrong.  It is entirely dependent on gearing, and the combination of gearing and torque curve to determine tractive force at the wheels.  By using advantageous gearing, the higher revving motor can give greater tractive force at the wheels across the entire rev range, and therefore accelerate harder.

I don’t advocate using high revving engines for bikes like the Savage – it’s fine just the way it is – but rest assured you make any vehicle quicker if you raise the torque curve and gear it to suit.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/30/08 at 02:10:00

Paladin. wrote on 05/29/08 at 19:31:58:
That is because you are NOT looking at average torque.  You are looking at the average PEAK torque.  If you want average torque you need to look at the torque curve from idle up.
A stock KLR650, 33-35 ft-lbs of torque from roughly 2500 to 6000 rpm.
Couldn't find any charts for a comparable twin.
I can't argue with that at all, in fact when I'm developing an engine I look for useable spread rather than peak reading, which equates to producing as much useable torque as you can - which I guess means I agree with you totally.  
I've worked on some motors with a guy who develops advanced nitrous systems and we always talk about 'area under the curve' rather than peak figures.

I have loads of dyno charts for V8s and 4-cylinder bikes, but nothing for 650 singles and twins.

Time to do some sniffing around - this is getting interesting now!

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/30/08 at 02:41:31

This seems to be a good comparison.

http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/bmw_vs_xr_dyno_5_23_03.JPG
http://www.biketestusa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=71&Page=4

The two bikes produce similar ‘amounts’ of torque, in terms of spread of delivery above 25ftlb, but the BMW twin produces its slightly higher peak about 2000rpm further up the rev range than the Honda single.

The article seems an impartial comparison, but this quote is relevant:

“the 324-lb. XR pulls harder at lower speeds than the 412-lb. BMW. The XR's lower torque peak gives a rider immediate access to its fairly shallow well of power, but the BMW walks away from the XR during impromptu drag races, despite the Honda's better power-to-weight ratio”.

« Last Edit: 05/30/08 at 07:59:51 by KwakNut »  

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #19 - 05/30/08 at 04:18:30

These two power curves are both dynojetted, KLX valves are 37/32, Savage's are 33/28 and as std. I think KLX has a little more cam, I think Lancer can give you high forties out of a Savage though.

As the comparison above shows more valve area and more revs gives more power this is where a multi scores over a single.

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/30/08 at 09:15:29

Paladin. wrote on 05/29/08 at 19:31:58:
A stock KLR650, 33-35 ft-lbs of torque from roughly 2500 to 6000 rpm

Can't argue with that, and I've ridden a KLR650 so I can confirm the torque is great for lifting the front wheel.
But, as you'll see below, the spread of torque you get from the single is just lower down the rev range than from twins and fours - they have significantly wider spreads of more torque, they just start higher.

The only real advantage of the thumper is that the torque is very low and allows you to pootle round town in high gear without changing down (which is great in itself and makes them fun to chug round on) - but it certainly isn't going to make a single out-torque or out-accelerate a twin or multi.

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #21 - 05/30/08 at 09:36:27

Quote:
Rpm is just a number/noise frequency.  Tractive force at the rear wheels is the source of acceleration.
That is indeed the result of torque - but it's torque factored by gearing, and if you produce that torque at higher rpm, you can use shorter gearing to produce harder acceleration.
You could have 2 engines producing exactly the same torque, but one at 3000rpm and one at 6000rpm.  The one at 6000rpm could run a gear ratio twice as advantageous, and give twice the acceleration - for the same torque.
That's why, contrary to common misunderstanding, it's actually power, not torque figure, which is important to racers (whether circuit or straight line).  Power and torque are actually just different ways of expressing the output of an engine – power is just torque multiplied by engine speed, so the higher up the rev range you produce your torque, the more power, and the more you can gear it to get force at the wheels.
It isn’t either power or torque that creates acceleration, it’s tractive force at the road/tyre interface, and that is the product of torque and gearing – and the gearing is dependent on where the engine develops its torque, ie its power.

AMEN!

Quote:
but rest assured you make any vehicle quicker if you raise the torque curve and gear it to suit.

Double AMEN!

Americans like 'the feel' of low rpm torque, and trade it for high performance all the time.  Who doesn't like the feel, I have a diesel truck and love it to death, for its purpose.
The savage may as well be a diesel, it's tuned to have grunt off the line, feel 'bigger' than it is, and then fall flat on its face like a diesel would.  Suits the bike for sure, but the engine itself is not in any way designed for high performance (whether you can get more than factory hp out of it or not).
Aside from an engine sounding buzzy to some, a high rpm motor (esp. with modern variable valve timing) and the correct gears and tranny (6spd please) make for a _very_ satisfying experience.

You don't even need to always gear up to make it faster.  There used to be a great article using LS1 cars as an example, equal cars cept one's tq curve was essentially 1000rpm higher than the other.  That extra 1000rpm spent in each gear more than made up for the early onset of tq of the stock motor.  At the bottom of each gear the stock car was stronger, but the modded car spent longer in each gear, taking advantage of the torque multiplication longer, and therefore easily beat the stock car to the end.  In real world driving, you may find a gear change would be more satisfying around town, but it wasn't needed to be faster.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 05/30/08 at 10:14:16

KwakNut wrote on 05/29/08 at 16:43:17:
Rpm is just a number/noise frequency.  Tractive force at the rear wheels is the source of acceleration.
That is indeed the result of torque - but it's torque factored by gearing, and if you produce that torque at higher rpm, you can use shorter gearing to produce harder acceleration.
You could have 2 engines producing exactly the same torque, but one at 3000rpm and one at 6000rpm.  The one at 6000rpm could run a gear ratio twice as advantageous, and give twice the acceleration - for the same torque.
That's why, contrary to common misunderstanding, it's actually power, not torque figure, which is important to racers (whether circuit or straight line).  Power and torque are actually just different ways of expressing the output of an engine – power is just torque multiplied by engine speed, so the higher up the rev range you produce your torque, the more power, and the more you can gear it to get force at the wheels.
It isn’t either power or torque that creates acceleration, it’s tractive force at the road/tyre interface, and that is the product of torque and gearing – and the gearing is dependent on where the engine develops its torque, ie its power.

Technically I disagree with you.
Power is not a function of rpm's and torque, otherwise HP and torque curves would be a function of each other and there would be no need to map each curve.
Power is the ability to move X pounds a distance in an amount of time.
Torque is the ability to twist a shaft.
And traction is the ability to transmit power to the road.
And stating that traction equates acceleration assumes power to be greater than traction.  Acceleration equates to the lesser of the 2.
ie. spinning wheels at start, yet slow times at the trap.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #23 - 05/30/08 at 11:34:00

Horsepower is actually calculated using torque and RPM's

(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

Here's a weird, confusing chart that looks like its made for lawnmowers

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 05/30/08 at 11:45:35

Hmmm, 1000 HP lawnmower.... you related to Tim Allen?

WWW   IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #25 - 05/30/08 at 11:46:05

Quote:
And stating that traction equates acceleration assumes power to be greater than traction

For most bikes the latter 1/2 of this is true, the Savage, the Rebel, and some others, it's not.

Quote:
(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

TQ at a higher rpm will make more horsepower, it's a mathematcal fact.

Quote:
otherwise HP and torque curves would be a function of each other and there would be no need to map each curve.
as you can see from the formula, HP is absolutely a function of torque but it does not mirror it, big difference.  TQ is _not_ a function of HP as your assumption states.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/30/08 at 12:48:52

verslagen1 wrote on 05/30/08 at 10:14:16:
Technically I disagree with you.
Power is not a function of rpm's and torque, otherwise HP and torque curves would be a function of each other and there would be no need to map each curve.
Power is the ability to move X pounds a distance in an amount of time.
Torque is the ability to twist a shaft.
And traction is the ability to transmit power to the road.
And stating that traction equates acceleration assumes power to be greater than traction.  Acceleration equates to the lesser of the 2.
ie. spinning wheels at start, yet slow times at the trap.
Well, I guess since that post you’ll have seen Furious70 and Robertomoe’s posts quoting the formula which links HP to torque, so you may be reconsidering your technical disagreement on the power function matter.

You only need to have a read out of the torque curve for an engine, and you can plot power, or vice versa – you’re quite right that you actually don’t need to map each curve, when you’ve seen enough dyno printouts you can see both in your head with just one on the sheet!

Torque is indeed ‘twist’ on a shaft, force times distance hence lbs ft.

Power is a bit more of a leap of faith because it’s harder to visualise, but in automotive terms:

Power = tractive force x velocity

(That’s why you need 8 times the power to go twice as fast against wind resistance – power is tractive force times speed, and wind resistance (the tractive force required) is proportional to the square of speed, so power required is cube of speed increase – a 100hp car which can hit 100mph would need 800hp to hit 200mph).  Power is also voltage times current, and energy is the integral of power just to complicate matters!

I wrote an Excel spreadsheet a few years ago into which you can enter your power (or torque) curve, gearing details and vehicle weight, and it will work out your tractive force at the wheels and give you 0-60 and quarter times – it is very accurate too against real world tests and manufacturer’s figures.  I’ll dig it out and post a link to it on here somehow (it’s quite a big file, something like 300 lines of iterative calculation for each point on the curves).

I don’t see how there’s an assumption that power is greater than traction – though it often is.
Tractive force transmitted through the wheels is limited by available traction (as you state), but that tractive force is measured in pounds of thrust, or Newtons, and it is that which decides your acceleration back to one of our old high school formulae: F=ma  force = mass x acceleration.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/30/08 at 12:51:51

furious70 wrote on 05/30/08 at 11:46:05:
 TQ is _not_ a function of HP as your assumption states.
Agree with everything you said apart from this - the formula relates power to torque just as much as it does torque to power - they are inextricably linked by the formula and are functions of each other and rpm.

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #28 - 05/30/08 at 13:00:49

Quote:
I wrote an Excel spreadsheet a few years ago into which you can enter your power (or torque) curve, gearing details and vehicle weight, and it will work out your tractive force at the wheels and give you 0-60 and quarter times – it is very accurate too against real world tests and manufacturer’s figures.  I’ll dig it out and post a link to it on here somehow (it’s quite a big file, something like 300 lines of iterative calculation for each point on the curves).

Very interested in playing around with this!

Quote:
Agree with everything you said apart from this - the formula relates power to torque just as much as it does torque to power - they are inextricably linked by the formula and are functions of each other and rpm.

The point I was trying to make was that you measure tq and you calculate horsepower.  The reverse is not true.  So while you can manipulate the formula to solve for TQ if you know HP and rpm, it's a moot point because you had to know the tq value to get HP in the first place.  That manipulation of the formula is only useful for determining what tq an engine would need to produce at a given rpm for a theorical HP goal in mind or something.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #29 - 05/30/08 at 13:05:42

This is entertaining....  Numbers flying everywhere!  My head hurts trying to process all the info.....

All I know is my Savage can comfortably cruise all day long at interstate speeds, delivers close to 60mpg AND can carry 2 adult riders (comfortably what a suprise that was) for a 40 minute ride down the highway during a group ride.  It does everything the other bikes do.  The difference is, mine is paid for......Thats all that matters to me!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:20:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 650 single VS 650 twin....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.