Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Please help me find a rack or bags for my 2004 (Read 227 times)
Fernwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Please help me find a rack or bags for my 2004
05/28/08 at 09:34:10

I searched around the forums and couldn't really find a lot about this.

I'm the proud owner of a 2004 Savage. My first bike!! I love it and can't keep off it. But there's a problem with hauling stuff. If it doesn't fit in my pocket, I can't take it with me. Kind of a bummer since I plan to do a lot of camping, and will be taking some gear with me  Undecided

I have two choices: Rack or saddlebags.

Luggage Rack: I imagine I can get a luggage rack, but I don't know where to start, how they attach, if it replaces the sissy-bar backrest, if it requires modification of the taillight, etc. I don't know if I want a trunk, but maybe a trunk that can be removed so I could use the luggage rack by itself (or with a net) could be used.

Saddlebags: If I go this route, I would want a) something that's detachable so I don't have to have them on all the time, b) something that's lockable, c) something that can fit my camping gear and some rain gear (this shouldn't be an issue - I imagine it can all fit in even a small set of bags).

So I'm looking for places to look for this stuff, and some guidance in picking out the right ones. I don't know enough about the Savage, or bikes for that matter to know a) where to get parts, b) how to know what fits and what doesn't, c) etc.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Please help me find a rack or bags for my 2004
Reply #1 - 05/28/08 at 09:46:39

Congratulations on the Savage, and welcome to the site. You will find a lot of helpful people here and answers to just about any question you can think of regarding this underrated very versatile machine.

Now, to your question.

I do believe you can get an OEM luggage rack but I have no idea how it would attach because I do not use one. My saddle bags are off of a Honda VTX1300 that I modified to fit onto the savage as under the pillion throw overs.

But there are several posts regarding saddle bags and packing the Savage for a trip, just use the search function and type in Saddlebags. Be sure to set the search criteria for "all posts", that way you will get a bigger hit on results.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 05/28/08 at 10:04:05

I bought my rear rack from Oneida Suzuki here: http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/rear-rack-ls650-s40-boule...for $72. A very simple install, took about 10 minutes. Very sturdy rack. Easy enough to remove it when you want to use something else.

FSO
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 05/28/08 at 10:51:34

I installed the factory luggage rack on my 2004. I thought it fit the charactor of the MC well (looked good) and was very functional. It took a couple of minutes to install with minimal fuss.

I used a tail bag that had three compartments and slid over the sissy bar for attachment and could either sit on the pillion seat or the rack (I kept it on the rack). It was made by T-bags I'm pretty sure. Construction was of ballistic nylon. Only downside was that it wasn't water proof, so even with a cover in a driving rain the contents could get wet unless you used water proof containers for liners (plastic bags  Cheesy ) It would slip off the sissy bar so you could carry it inside with you and also left the pillion seat open for another bag or sleeping bag or whatever.

Don't forget tank bags. I use a small one all the time now to carry my rain gear. Lets me leave my hard cases at home.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 05/28/08 at 12:40:40

I've not seen anyone mention this idea, but it's what I've been doing. Before I got the bike I did some (pedal) biking trips. As such I have the bags that go onto my bicycle.

If you look at my pics on you'll see some nice, roomy, blue bags hanging off the back of the Suz. They don't look too hip but they get the job done. And then there's the big bag from T-bag sitting on the back seat with it's little barrel shaped duffle bag on top of it. Then there's a plain old little sports/duffle bag bungied onto the tank. It's amazing how much stuff you can haul when you absolutely can't leave anything behind.

I'm about ready to give up the back seat and do a luggage/back rest thing for there and I would like to do some kind of BIG hard cases for down low on the sides under it. It's just those guys all want so much money. Might have to go the homemade route if I can make it look good enough.

There's always tomorrow.

Jack

IP Logged
willrph
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/28/08 at 18:16:32

OK Ferwood I am offering my two cents as I believe you and I have the same issues.  How to increase the cargo capacity of our beloved bike.  
 After much contemplation and several beers, I decided to mount saddle bags under the seat.  Yes, I was sitting in the garage looking at the bike and thinking how do I use it and what do I want to meet my needs? The bags were throw over and I recalled self using them every day.  Self said to self if you use them that much why don't you secure them under the seat.  I did this last week end and also installed the luggage rack to carry a barrel bag on business trips. I use the bike to commute daily, weather permitting, and plan to use it to distant assignments (130 miles away).   Now I have the best of both worlds, every day convenience and the ability to move more on the scoot.  The yolk did need modification to fit around some electircal parts but is not that difficult to modify.
 If you have a sissy bar the install of the rack is simple. I have a 2006 and needed to buy on eBay.   Remove the Suzuki emblem from the back of the seat and behold two easilty removed screws are visible.  Remove the screws and the the rack slips over the sissy bar bracket afer removing the backrest held on by the two screws.  Suzuki even supplies the double sided adhesive tape to reattach the emblem.  Install time minutes.
 Saddle bags are a bit more difficult.  I bought  leather bags (Jafrum, I like the looks an inherent weakness) and was not happy with the appearance and rubbing on the shocks.  Installing saddle bag brackets improved both but resulted in some scrapped knuckles and swearing.  Install time 50 minutes.  Don't do it you if your patience tolerance is low.  Although it can be done the middle bolt allows only small turns without removal of the tire.  Who wants to go thru all that work, better to breath deeply and turn the wrench only a small amount per turn.
 Bottom line install both.  I also love camping and you do not want to limit yourself on cargo capacity.   Being comfortable and having what you need make it a more enjoyable experience.  
 I don't leave the barrel bag on the scoot but am contemplating solutions.  Shopping trips tend to point out the storage limitations of the saddle bags.  To lazy to look up the exact dimensions recollection screams aproximately 12 wide, 12 long and 5 1/2 deep.  
 Hope this helps.

White spacer mod, 150 main, K&N Air Filter, Memphis Shades Slim
  IP Logged
saratovich

Reply #6 - 05/28/08 at 18:40:35

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 05/28/08 at 19:15:13

I don't know what your level of technical skill or your budget is Fernwood.  If you can afford an airline suitcase-on-wheels doohickey, and are handy with a drill and welder, check out Paladin's post.  He made a really handy setup.  I'll look for the link to it.

Here's what I've come up with so far for my bike.  I ride it to work daily, and can fit pretty much everything I need on it.  Total investment of about $60 including the fork bag.  Everything comes off in about 2 minutes.  Goes on in about 5 minutes.  I made the round trunk from an Igloo water cooler and a stuff bag and slung the backpack from the trunk by its own shoulder straps.

My bike won't win any beauty contest, but I'm an ignorant hick wood butcher, and need more of a pack mule than a palomino with ribbons in its mane.  Some of the folks around here have some really beautiful setups, and you'll get lots of input from them as well.

That's my $60 worth. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 05/28/08 at 19:22:48

Here's the link to Paladin's creation.  If I ever get off my duff, I'm going to steal his R&D and make one of my own.  Looks awfully handy to me.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1177262289

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #9 - 05/28/08 at 20:30:41

Im in the same boat too Fernwood...I dunno if i need campin gear on it but grin...thats what the misses would take in my other suzuki ... SX4 ... wadda car that is... Anywho, for simple saddle bags i know that a local dealer up the road has the Boulevard Saddle bag...which look very nice for 79 and thats before he said he would hook me up...As a side note..picked up new sunglasses to ride with...MAXX foam riders...Im tellin ya they are really really NICE...14.99 High Def glasses..shoot i bought another pair for night driving too...  Sandy ... WOAH your seat! what is it? Sure looks comfy!

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/28/08 at 23:16:17

A backpack will mount pretty easy. A bungee thru the grab handle at the top center, over the seat to the helmet hanger, tie the shoulder straps so they stay outta the spokes & run a small cord thru the lower corner closest to your left ankle.Tie that to the shock mount. As long as you dont go over a railroad track & get air, it wont pull too hard, its just to keep mit from Flying at 60 MPH anyway. I have hauled one loaded with groceries that way. It was loaded with cans & dairy, plenty of a load. IF you can get a small D-rind sewn into a piece of webbing & sewn onto the bag instead of poking a hole in it, that would be better. I did, but I have an upholstery machine. I also sewed a light piece of plywood onto the bottom of a gym bag & epoxied a board under it, with a hoe thru it, to run parachute cord thru & tie the thing on. I can haul all kinds of crap, didnt spend much at all. It isnt sexy loooking, but it works.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 05/29/08 at 04:39:16

cornfuzed wrote on 05/28/08 at 20:30:41:
 Sandy ... WOAH your seat! what is it? Sure looks comfy!

Why thanks for noticing, Cornfuzed. Smiley  That is the mod I am most proud of so far.  That's my original hideous Savage seat pan.  I built the cushion and cover with my own 12 little fingers using Kay's sewing machine.  Nothin' to it.
And it is muy comfy.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it does on a long run, but I did 180 miles on it one day and felt great at the end.

skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #12 - 05/29/08 at 05:18:00

You can do like I did and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Top case is a Dowco Ironrider cordura overnight bag ($75.00).  It rests on the Suzuki factory luggage rack ($89.00).  The saddle bags are patterned for a VL800 ($280.00) and can carry a TON of cargo.

Yes, I have $500.00 invested in the luggage for my bike, but I can bring home 2 weeks of groceries; haul a weeks worth of clothes and a tent; or 2 bags of fertilizer (5000 ft coverage), an Xbox360, 2 Xbox games, my son and still have room to pick up dinner for 4 at Wendy's.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #13 - 05/29/08 at 09:55:35

Look at the Tour Pack series.  I've used an earlier version for a long time with no problems.  It hold a lot and has stood up to my abuse!

http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/main.html

ShockedThat's it on the back of my old K-75

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #14 - 05/31/08 at 05:25:00

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/28/08 at 19:15:13:
I don't know what your level of technical skill or your budget is Fernwood.  If you can afford an airline suitcase-on-wheels doohickey, and are handy with a drill and welder, check out Paladin's post.  He made a really handy setup.  I'll look for the link to it.

Here's what I've come up with so far for my bike.  I ride it to work daily, and can fit pretty much everything I need on it.  Total investment of about $60 including the fork bag.  Everything comes off in about 2 minutes.  Goes on in about 5 minutes.  I made the round trunk from an Igloo water cooler and a stuff bag and slung the backpack from the trunk by its own shoulder straps.

http://a456.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/l_5166094206fee19bf9072ef2b...

My bike won't win any beauty contest, but I'm an ignorant hick wood butcher, and need more of a pack mule than a palomino with ribbons in its mane.  Some of the folks around here have some really beautiful setups, and you'll get lots of input from them as well.

That's my $60 worth. Smiley

In that pic your seat looks even better than it did in the "seat pics'! You really did a great job!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:23:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Please help me find a rack or bags for my 2004

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.