Send Topic Print
Paint touch up? (Read 73 times)
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Paint touch up?
05/27/08 at 14:48:49

Any tips for repairing a chip/crack in my rear fender?  I don't want the thing to grow and rust.   I don't want to ruin it with some cheap-o pen from wal-mart, on the other hand I don't want to pay a body shop for something smaller than a dime. Is there some kind of a decent aftermarket touch-up tool. She's a black 2003.  

Also looking to replace a broken license plate bracket.  Any extras floating around out there(for less than the $30 OEM part)?

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Paint touch up?
Reply #1 - 05/28/08 at 01:00:14

Your bike being black should be easy to match,Mine is a 2002 and it's silver, I had a chip on the front fender ,I sanded  it down to the metal,then applied about three coats of primer (rattle can) do a little wet sanding between coats,then apply the color about 5 coats with very light wet sanding with 800 grit between the third and 5th coats,also with a rattle can,I used "Dupli-color" auto spray,it worked great , I didn't mask it ,
I feathered it out and it worked out perfect, the key,"take your time"
worked for me.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 05/28/08 at 04:39:26

I have seen tiny bottles of auto touch up paint in NAPA stores.  Our Dodge Caravan came with a similar bottle, which allows you to just brush on a tiny dab and forget it.  Depending on how visible the chip is, that is what I would try first on a black bike.  It would keep the rust monsters away.  On my purple bike, I imagine I'll have to pay someone to match it or repaint it a different color.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #3 - 05/28/08 at 05:07:40

The girl method is to use nailpolish...I got some that matches my silver/blue 2006 and have used it several times already on tiny nicks.

The cool thing is that it has the sparkles in it like the stock colour, so it has some depth unlike regular spray paint.

I do sand and use several thin coats too.
Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:33:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paint touch up?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.