Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
removing socket screw from brake (Read 92 times)
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

removing socket screw from brake
05/27/08 at 08:43:18

I am having trouble removing the socket screw in the front brake caliper. It looks like the previou owner might've rounded the hex shape. Any ideas on how to remove the bolt? By the way, what is the correct size for that socket? Is it 5mm or 5.5 mm?

jim

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Re: removing socket screw from brake
Reply #1 - 05/27/08 at 09:24:26

There are lots of nice little special tools made for the job, but without spending a small fortune at your local Sears there are ways using just normal hand tools.

If the hex recess has been rounded, you'll probably find that you can tap in a slightly oversize tool - often you'll find that imperial tools will fit the 'gaps' in sizes between metrics for this purpose.  

If the next size up is just too big to go in, try drilling the recess slightly larger until you can just be tapped in, forcing itself to 'cut' the hex edges into the inside of the recess in the screw head.  

Alternatively, you can hacksaw/dremel a slot into the head and use a big flat blade screwdriver head to get it out.  

Those bolts aren't ridiculously tight (or shouldn't be) so that should be enough to get one out.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 05/27/08 at 11:27:54

A torch - not to cut it but to heat it and then let it cool. It's often an amazing difference in break away torque.

Can you get to the outside of the head? If so, vice grips or there are some specialty sockets for removing the offending screw.

I fought a screw on a brake caliper for a suburban recently, the only thing that helped was the torch.

IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/27/08 at 11:30:22

The problem is that the socket screw is recessed and because the "hex" hole is rounded, there's nothing to turn the screw. The torch might work if I can find a way to torque the screw.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/27/08 at 11:36:49

Outside chance that this MIGHT work.
1. Pull the caliper off the fork
2. Compress the piston back into the housing so there is the largest gap possible between the brake pads.  (Watch out for brake fluid overflow from the reservoir!)
3. See if you can get a small vice grip on that bolt by reaching down between the brake pads.

If you do get it out that way, make sure you file/sand the tool marks off the bolt so the pads don't hang up on it.
Hmmm.. never mind.. I presume you will be getting a new bolt anyway!!  Cheesy

Good luck!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 05/27/08 at 11:40:01

I didn't even think about the screw being exposed on the inside. That might open up other options. darn this place is awesome.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 05/27/08 at 12:13:04

Is this the bolt/screw that hold the shoes into the caliper????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/27/08 at 12:15:21

I think so. I never took it off before. There's only one screw that I see, and it looks like a 5mm recessed socket screw. It also comes out on the other side, but just a small point.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 05/27/08 at 12:25:15

If it looks like it goes thru the center if the top of the pads, then it's there to hold then in.    

There is also the guides the caliper slides on and those do not come out.  I think they might have hex heads there but can't remember and the bike is sitting at home in the garage since it was raining this morning.

Do you have the caliper off the disk???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 05/27/08 at 12:35:07

« Last Edit: 07/07/08 at 06:39:18 by vroom1776 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com