Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Comfort Suggestions (not to beat a dead horse) (Read 443 times)
pgman

Central Florida
Comfort Suggestions (not to beat a dead horse)
05/27/08 at 05:05:48

The wife and I have begun doing a LOT more riding than driving and one of the things we like to do is go to the beach.  We live smack in the center of Florida so there aren't any beaches closer than about two hours (if we stay off the highways).  She's been riding for about 16 months now and the Savage is still a good bike for her in terms of size, peformance and weight.  The only trouble is, it does not appear to be set up (from the factory) for longer rides.

Thus far, I've modified her bike with a Sportster seat, ISO grips, HD floorboards, Dyna muffler (with white spacer removed) and a spitfire windshield.  She says that the floorboards and windshield helped the most, but her throttle hand is falling asleep - after the ISO grips.  These beach runs are close to 225-miles round trip, and we stop at least once each way.  The good news is that (according to her) the little chugger is much more comfortable than when it was stock.  She just has a few lingering quibbles and I am wondering what else i can do.

I've read about progressive springs (though I don't know where to find them yet), but I don't know if that would help more than saddle gel, or a different seat.  She likes the handling, so I don't want to mess that up.

I am wondering if I should put the stock grips back on (she never complained about her hand falling asleep with those - just the vibration).  I am thinking of trying a throttle boss before I give up on the ISOs

She wants more chrome, and I am wondering if I can find chromed engine case covers anywhere.  If not, even some chromed frame covers or a crash bar would brignten things up, and I KNOW she'd love some mag wheels, but I have no idea where I'd find any to fit this bike.

If that all helps, then she wants a headlight modulator and an air horn and I THINK she'll be happy for a while.  I wish I had a ton of money to throw at this, but we still have to drive the cages, and that ain't cheap any more.  I think we're real close to the optimal bike for this lady - but the last two-tenths are sometimes the hardest.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Comfort Suggestions (not to beat a dead horse)
Reply #1 - 05/27/08 at 05:17:05

I personally appreciate your topic!

I was just doing a search for floorboards here!

I found some use HD ones but I'm still wondering exactly which ones!

Can you tell me so I can find the right ones to buy?

Then most importantly I need....a man/ husband to put all this stuff on for me,not to mention buying it all!!(just joking on that part Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 05/27/08 at 06:32:12

Moreso than chrome:

"No, no, no! You don't know what you want! Luigi know what you want. Black-wall tires, they blend into the pavement, but these white-wall tires, they say look at me, here I am, love me."
                                 -- Luigi, in Cars.

According to the web, Maxxis still makes their Classic M6011 in WW in our size front and rear.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/27/08 at 06:55:29

Progressive shocks was the best thing i did,the lighter you are the more it will help stock spring are way to stiff.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/27/08 at 07:20:44

pgman wrote on 05/27/08 at 05:05:48:
I am wondering if I should put the stock grips back on (she never complained about her hand falling asleep with those - just the vibration).  I am thinking of trying a throttle boss before I give up on the ISOs.

I have the same problem.
Here is bunch of options and suggestions:
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/ThrottleRockerFAQ.htm

You could also try adjusting the handlebars.  If the wrist angle isn't ok, it could cause numbness of the hand.
OR, try a different type of handlebar.  (Straight instead of buckhorn, etc.)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 05/27/08 at 09:02:54

Quote:
I've read about progressive springs (though I don't know where to find them yet), but I don't know if that would help more than saddle gel, or a different seat.

Pop into the 'Tech' section and check out the index. Look for 'rear suspension'. Everything you ever wanted to know (or just about), can be found there re: Progressive Suspension shocks and the Savage/S40.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/27/08 at 09:12:32

pgman wrote on 05/27/08 at 05:05:48:
Thus far, I've modified her bike with a Sportster seat, ISO grips, HD floorboards, Dyna muffler (with white spacer removed) and a spitfire windshield.  She says that the floorboards and windshield helped the most, but her throttle hand is falling asleep - after the ISO grips.  

Grip anything for 30 min and your hand will fall asleep.  Muscle movement is required for blood flow when in a grip.  Flex the fingers every so often.
And I did find the pull backs put my hands in the most comfortable position.  When I put the drags on, they were in the worst because of the angle the bars were in to miss the tank.  Most likely a change in the bars adjustment will help.  Rotate the bar so that the outer ends drop a bit.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 05/27/08 at 09:31:46

Some times  I grip for 30 minutes and I fall asleep Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 05/27/08 at 13:51:38

If you only stop once in 100 miles or so,the seat must really be comfortable Wink

(Also,didnt mean to interrupt your post,when asking about the floorboards!)

IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #9 - 05/27/08 at 15:03:49

FreeSpirit wrote on 05/27/08 at 05:17:05:
I personally appreciate your topic!

I was just doing a search for floorboards here!

I found some use HD ones but I'm still wondering exactly which ones!

Can you tell me so I can find the right ones to buy?

Then most importantly I need....a man/ husband to put all this stuff on for me,not to mention buying it all!!(just joking on that part Wink

The floorboards I bought were these:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2002568/c...

They were really inexpensive, but they are ANYTHING but direct bolt-ons.  The brake side was pretty simple - just drill a new hole in the chrome plate that holds the OEM peg, and back it with a lock nut and star washer (and remove the OEM peg, of course).  This leaves a hole where the OEM peg used to be, but it isn't too objectionable.

The shifter side is a completely different story - requiring about six hours of fabrication work and heavy modification to the underside of the floorboard to get it on there.  I had to remove the kickstand bolt, drill it out completely - making it a kickstand bushing, and replace it with a regular metric bolt so that I could attach a custom bracket to the kickstand mounting point.  It sounds more complicated than it looks, but it wasn't easy.  I just couldn't find any other way to get that board in the right spot for wifey's little feet.  She is very pleased with the result, though.  Absolutely NO complaints about sore feet any more - and we used to do no more than 50 -  60 miles because her feet were so sore.  She never really complained about the HD seat, but that was before the floorboards.  I think the seat is just the weakest link now.  200+ miles in a day is not something we could have ever done before, so we're heading in the right direction.  Our goal is to motor down to the keys next summer, so I still have some time to get it sorted.

As far as the husband is concerned - can't help you there 'cause one wife is enough! Wink

If you're ever down this way with your bike, though, I'd be glad to help you out with that.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/27/08 at 19:01:37

I got a throttle rocker (a good price at the dealership, no less!) and it has helped with my hand cramping up.  I usually would start getting crampy (and bloated) after about 30 minutes (almost at work).  However, it did take a bit of getting used to.  I started with it too high and I almost let the bike get away from me.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #11 - 05/28/08 at 04:17:01

Thanks pgman for the info and help!

Skatnbc I think has some type of throttle boss,she may have some thoughts on how much it helps! or other ideas!

Just wondered.....does pg in your name ..stand for patriot guard? (That's just what came to mind when I saw your name)

Some say the progressive shocks help alot....hope you found the info you need!( I personally havent gotten that far in upgrades)Although I think some have gotten theirs from ebay!

Highway bars....I'm still thinking about one day getting the "Wingerline"...made for the Savage,although pretty expensive,around $200.But seem to be the best/most functional.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/28/08 at 07:42:08

I didnt notice a mention of what kind of gloves she is wearing. My hands will go to sleep if I hold too tight on the bars. I wear gloves from Lowes, padded a little. Wont ride without gloves..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #13 - 05/28/08 at 07:54:32

When purchasing gloves the number one thing you want to look at is the shape before you put your hand in there.

The most comfort will come from gloves that are natural beer can hands (curved)     the fact that you got them at lowes makes me doubt that they had a natural curve to them, plus the padding, i can understand why your hand is falling asleep.   The padding is cutting of circulation when bent, it is padding so it isn't going to hurt at all - just make the pins and needles.

'07 s40, White spacer removed, Jardine muffler, iron cross mirrors, Ed-L +4" controls, under seat bags- only on for trips, and 1 happy nut in the seat!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/28/08 at 08:58:35

Good [point. Last year, I didnt have numbing. I was riding a lot & just got to the point it didnt bug me, I think I am holding on too tight still.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:19:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Comfort Suggestions (not to beat a dead horse)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.