Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What would happen if I just leave it stock? (Read 525 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
What would happen if I just leave it stock?
05/27/08 at 03:00:30

OK, I know I've been asking a bunch of questions like a total newbie, but that's what I am. I've also been beating around the bush about this, but I'm going to just come out and ask it. What would happen if I don't do anything to the bike, and just rode it stock? I mean other than switch to synthetic oil, and add a fuel filter; and maybe see if anybody in this part of Texas sells gas w/o E85.
I don't intend to replace the muffler. I'm not interested in more power or performance. Other than the seat mod and the steering riser mod; none of the others appeal to me or to my riding needs. In addition to all that, opening up the carb, frankly, scares the piss out of me. I've only one other experience with a carb rebuild. It was on a little single barrel off of a Datsun 210. I was oh so careful, but when I was done, I had about four parts left over. I was young and foolish enough to mount it anyway, and the little thing fired right up and ran another four years like that, without any loss of power, performance, or mpg. I vowed never again would I touch a carb; but now it's being recommended to do just that to my brand new little thumper.
So if I don't, am I asking for ruin? As I've said before, I'm no tinkerer. I've no burning curiosity to "take it apart see how it works". I've alot of respect for you guys that do, but it's just not my thing. I can do the basic maintenence, but that is about as far as my mechanical expertise goes. The complicated stuff I take to a mechanic. Like Paladin says, each to his own level of expertise; or something to that effect.
So, what could I expect if I just run it stock?
Thanks for all the help, advice and support. It makes owning this bike even more of a joy.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Re: What would happen if I just leave it stock?
Reply #1 - 05/27/08 at 03:22:44

It appears that you are qiite happy to ride the Savage as design. WHY NOT ,It will probably run forever and give you no problems. ENJOY.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/27/08 at 03:34:10

Thanks for the encouragement. My main concern with asking was, in reading the threads posted here, it would seem that there is a design/engineering flaw in the carb setup that might shorten its lifespan. I wonder, has anyone ran one for years and years stock? Did they have trouble?
Anyway thanks again. I may just do that very thing.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/27/08 at 03:41:52

I believe it costs more than its worth to own this bike IF you cant do your own maintenance. Maybe I am wrong, but the shop fees for doing every little thing that needs done just looks cost prohibitive. The tools cost a lot less than the maintenance. Parking it & waiting on some genius in a service department to set the valves in the slapdash method Ive seen them do it & PAY for it? naaah.. better to learn it & do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 05/27/08 at 03:57:54

There are private mechanics that dont charge as much as a dealer and may be better.

And some buddy's will work on your MC sometimes,which may give you some time, if and when you decide to learn to work on it yourself.

But,in asking if you need to do "all" this extra stuff that the guys do here.....I personally dont know/think that all of it needs to be done,but do think there are "a few special things" you could have done,so as not to have to worry about it/to make it last longer.

But the guys will tell you and you could still take it to a private mechanic and not have to pay near as much!

(On the few good things to have done...Lancer and Verslagen are the ones coming to my mind to ask Wink

(I am no mechanic and dont know as much as most here,but...I'm just trying to help,in what I believe to be true  Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 05/27/08 at 04:02:44

Hello Jay:

Are you the first owner? If yes, I envy you. You will get to know exactly what has been done to your bike from day one. My bike is a guessing game. I know of a few mods to mine (1987), most obvious is the Supertrapp, but have know idea what the previous owner did with regard to motor/carb work. There is some sealant residue on the cylinder, so someone was in there doing something. Too bad they didn't fix the oil leak while they were in there.

Right now, outside of the oil leak, it runs fantastic. I'm still surprised how well it runs 2-up. I enjoy doing my own work, but know my limitations. When I first got it, I was going to give myself a gift and have  a mechanic give it it's first oil change and inspection. After getting an estimate for $100 just for the oil change, I bought oil/filters and did it myself. Bought a Clymer manual and am building a little tool collection. Took the seat off and did the air filter, and had a look inside. It feels great not only saving money, but accomplishing small tasks.

I thought that my wrenching days were over after owning two old Sportsers vowing "never again." Always had greasy hands, but was able to do most everything myself including a clutch job. It's really more about having the right tools for the job. Everything seems to go so much smoother.

Hey, if you're happy running stock, do it!

FSO
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 05/27/08 at 05:08:27

You asked what will happen if you leave it stock?  If your bike is like mine, this is what will happen:

You will drive it and have a blast for awhile.  Then all of a sudden one day, you will notice that the screw holding the blinker on looks a little loose.  "No problem," you will say.  "I have an old phillips in the junk drawer."  So you'll give it a twist and think "That wasn't so tough."

While you are standing there admiring your accomplishment, you'll double check all the phillips head screws that you can see on the sheet metal and whatnot.  Then, when you go to change your oil, you'll realize you need a 5mm allen wrench, so you'll go buy one.  But you won't get just one, you'll pick up a folding set because it only cost 5 bucks.  Returning to the bike, you'll notice that there are more allen screws than you had seen before, but since you have the whole set of wrenches, it's no problem!  Just check them all while you're at it.  

Gotta take the seat off?  Remember that set of Walmart wrenches your mother in law bought you for Christmas in 1993?  There's a 10mm socket in there, so off she comes.  No sweat!  By this point, you've discovered that you already own the three main tools required to tinker on the bike.  So some Saturday, you'll decide to just look at the bike for awhile since it's too cold out to enjoy riding with no destination.  Arriving in the garage, you'll discover that somehow your tools found their way into your pocket.  Might as well open up the headlight and snoop around in there for loose stuff.

Pretty soon, without any precipitating event to change you, you are looking at the timing cover plug thinking "If I can just get that little bugger off, I'll have those valves set in no time.  But first I have to slap the carb back on and see how she runs."

It crept up on me.  I hope it will for you too, 'cause it's a lot of fun.  I'm still intimidated by the "larger" projects, but less so every day.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #7 - 05/27/08 at 05:27:28

I admit....I did buy a Clymers Manual and a pretty good bit of tools.

I may even learn to work on some things that I wouldnt have imagined I could!

(If I just didnt have to work so darn much!! I'd love to learn more Smiley

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 05/27/08 at 06:23:34

Jay wrote on 05/27/08 at 03:00:30:
.... What would happen if I don't do anything to the bike, and just rode it stock?....

Given the number of what appear to be used stock Savages on the market, I would say you would be NORMAL.  The people who gravitate to forums about any subject tend to be nuts.   Using the dealer or a trusted bike mechanic for your maintainance will cost you a bit more than doing it yourself, but that IS what most people do.  

I've had my Savage for 3.5 years/18,000 miles, have swapped the stock muffler for a MAC, have managed to replace the dreaded oil plug thingie in the head.  (What some claim a four hour job took me three days.)  The P.O. adjusted the idle thingie as the cover has been removed; other than that I have no idea of what, if anything, has been done to the carb.  I don't care.    Thumper runs, which is all I have ever asked of any vehicle.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 05/27/08 at 06:48:33

Leaving it shock and synthetic oil don't expect over 100000 miles, pipes and air cleaner mods cuts the life by 1/2.    if you bought a new car and hopped it up up 20% expect about 1/2 the life of engine. its been that way since I was a kid.also don't do the high rpm stuff motor is not make for that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 05/27/08 at 06:54:54

What would happen if you left it stock?

Hmmmm, I reckon you would have years of worry free riding unlike those of us who have made heavy mods and are always fixing those mods. (me included)

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #11 - 05/27/08 at 08:22:23

I symathize with Jay.  I have no desire or ability to do anything to my bike other than MAYBE an oil change.

My cars go to the dealer for routine maint., as will my bike.  My dealer is only 3 miles form my home, and they are even open on Sunday.

I'm in awe of those who can do maint. themselves, and who enjoy it.

I can't do it, and even if I struggled to learn, I wouldn't enjoy it.  I understand how mechanical things work, which I think you need to know in order to operate them correctly.  But that's a big difference from tearing into them.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 05/27/08 at 12:30:01

As long as you have the scheduled maintenance done and keep an eye on the oil, it will be fine.  

It would run a little better if you had the fuel mixtures set to be a little less lean.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #13 - 05/27/08 at 13:00:45

This topic is interesting! Just as I thought! These guys just like messing with their bikes Wink  Shocked

But they are very smart & helpful when needed Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 05/27/08 at 13:39:57

You got it Free Spirit lot here want more power and less mileage,more power puts strain on all parts of engine and transmission ,clutch,wheel bearing,frame,tires, belt you name it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:20:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What would happen if I just leave it stock?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.