Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What would happen if I just leave it stock? (Read 525 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: What would happen if I just leave it stock?
Reply #15 - 05/27/08 at 14:48:20

WOW! Thanks for all the responses. You guys are great. I really love this forum. The feedback, advice, counsel; it's all fantastic.
I wasn't as clear as I'd hoped in my original post. When I said basic maintenance, I meant things like oil change, valve adjustment, belt tensioning, etc. Larger issues like the cam chain, or replacing the valves, splitting the case etc; I would take that to a mechanic.

There are those who love riding, those who love wrenching, and those who love riding AND wrenching. I'm afraid I fall into the first category. It seems most of the guys and gals here fall into the last category, and I'm grateful for it!! Thanks guys. I think I'll leave it stock and do all the PM acording to M.O.M., maaaaybe richen it up eventually. I don't know; but you can bet I'll be glued to this forum for all the how-to.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #16 - 05/27/08 at 14:48:22

more power may put more strain on everything else, but the more powerfull engine is more efficient. i dont believe that an air filter mod or a muffler mod would decrease the life at all. good after market pod filters (k&n comes to mind) filter the air better than stock. the only thing that WILL decrease the life of the motorcycle is poor upkeep, and beating on it (i'm sure that the louder muff will encourage some the latter)

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 05/27/08 at 15:27:29

Back when I was 16 and put my first loud muffler on my car A friend on the family was a Pontiac dealer He said you know that motor was designed and built with a back pressure,you take that away and its not good for it. But he was an old guy what did he know.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #18 - 05/27/08 at 16:46:19

i am no expert, but maybe the pontiac dealer can explain why some cars with the same engine come with dual exhaust and others come with single. both have the same warranty. so in and of itself a freer flowing exhaust will not harm an engine. now if you or someone you know changed the exhaust yourself and didn't re jet accordingly, i could see a problem. backpressure is not the problem.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 05/27/08 at 17:22:10

Why is your warranty no good when you alter the exhaust on cars and motorcycles

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 05/28/08 at 01:18:46

Jay, if you have never ridden a savge that has been modified then you will be satisfied with the way it runs stock. Ride one that has been rejetted, a bolt on after market muffler and a more free flowing air filter, and you most likely wont be satisfied riding stock again. It just makes it that much more fun!  Greg D replaced my jets in less than a half hour and didnt need to take the carb off the bike. The muffler and air filter are bolt on. Im sure  you know a mechanic that could do the rejetting for you. Maybe get lucky and find someone in here that lives in your part of the country that could do the carb for you.  Seriously, there is that much difference in performance.  I just couldnt stand that darn put put from the exhaust and the looks I got from other bikers like I was riding a Vespa. To each their own!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #21 - 05/28/08 at 04:57:28

I dont like the stock muffler either Sad

I'm probably going to get the Supertrapp....I think I have "heard" some guys say you dont need to rejet/carb with that one,but I still want to make sure/positive on this before I actually do it Wink

I've also heard you can have problems with some changes....I dont personally want to make too many Wink The muffler is the biggest thing I dont like! (The rest I can live with)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #22 - 05/28/08 at 13:38:42

i guess bills not gonna give up Grin so if YOU change your muffler it may void the warranty, but if the dealer does it, it will not. ya know why? cause he should know to re jet. thanks for the argument bill, but i'm done. ride what ya like.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #23 - 05/28/08 at 19:07:42

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the input. Stinger, you're right I haven't ridden a moded Savage. Maybe one day, but for right now I'm enjoying the heck outta this little thing just the way she is. Sure, I get no respect from the Harley guys, but then they often don't respect each other, unless they're all ridding the same exact model. Even then there's always somebody with more accessories, more chrome, the list goes on and on. Besides, I used to ride a 250 Kymco scooter, so I'm used to gettin no respect. No respect at all! Grin
The exhaust note sounds fine to me. If I ever do de-badge the Savage, it'll be to put Tecumseh or Briggs & Stratton on the side. Wink

bill67 and rigidchop, you guys both have valid points, really! We should be able to do some of the basic mods (muffler, rejet) without messing up the warranty; however, I ran into a boatload of trrouble with Kymco when they found out I was doing my own PM, including checking my valves. I eventually prevailed on the warranty issue (I pointed them to an act whose name I can't recall, that provides for the consumer to do routine maintenence without affecting the warranty. Since valve check/adjustment is listed in the MOM as routine maintenence, they had little to argue with, but it kept my scooter in the shop for weeks longer than necessary.) I wouldn't want to go through that again. Not for an optional mod. Don't fight! Ride and be happy!!! Seriously though, it's guys like you that keep this forum so fresh and alive! Thanks for all your input.

Thanks for the great info and ideas. I really appreciate it.
Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 05/28/08 at 22:13:52

I think its great someone wants to keep it stock. Maybe in 20,000 miles or so, Jay will decide he wants a bit more Ooomph out of it. It will be interesting to see how it holds up, how long cam chain places last, etc, etc.

Jay, are you a peg scraper, grip twisting wild man or do you ride it nice & easy?
How long did you ride the Kymco 250? What did you think? The shop I use sells them & the wife is NOT gonna get a full sized bike but would consider a scooter. Your opinion will be considered for more than a minute.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #25 - 05/29/08 at 03:30:23

This got me thinking - I bought mine from a couple of great mechanics - old shop, nothing fancy and they adopted me. What can I say. It's completely stock.

Just for grins and giggles I called the dealership which is actually very close to work to ask them what a basic service would be. Couldn't get a clear answer since they run $75 an hour but finally got him pinned down to sway what would be the 600 mile service cost. $200! My Subaru cost less!

The mechanics I bought mine from have 3 times adjusted it for me for nothing, gave me a discount on my new front tire and showed me how to drain the bowl just in case there is water in it. I want to learn to do the basics myself but the rest will always go back to them as long as I am here in this city. It might take longer but they are doing it with love.

As the guys said - find a good solo mechanic. Works for me!

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #26 - 05/29/08 at 04:09:21

Hey floks,
Justin_o_guy2, I'm definately a nice n easy sort of rider. 70mph is about tops for me. My fav tho is a quiet country road at about 50-55mph.
As for the Kymco, I had mine for about 3 years. It did a good job for me. That said, if I had it to do over, I would get the Yamaha Majesty. Yes it costs more, but that 400cc power plant, a more comfortable ride, better storage, better handling, and the extended valve adjustment intervals, combined with a seamless CVT make for a sweet ride. Not to mention one that the Mrs. could keep up with you on! (top speed 80mph, water cooled 400cc cruises at 70+ all day long)Cheesy Seriously, I know Kymco sells a 500, but the Yami 400 puts it away in overall performance. The Majesty was what I was considering when I ran across this site. I think it's a great maxi-scooter.
Here's one that would be worth the drive to check out.
2006 YAMAHA Majesty $4,795
2006 YAMAHA Majesty , Check out this Yamaha Majesty Scooter. It's like new with only 2261 miles. A bargain at $4795 + TTL.
DEALER:
Select Power Sport
One owner(877) 203-7510
ALittleBird, you are one lucky person to have the shop you do. Make sure you find out when their b-days are, and be sure to remember those guys at Christmas! Service like that is something to treasure.
Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #27 - 05/29/08 at 04:14:57

Jay wrote on 05/29/08 at 04:09:21:
ALittleBird, you are one lucky person to have the shop you do. Make sure you find out when their b-days are, and be sure to remember those guys at Christmas! Service like that is something to treasure.
Ride safe,
Jay

I feed them too!  Smiley

What is really cool is they have never thought I was crazy, never said I couldn't do anything or treated me like an idiot. Rare these days. Ed, the dad, was concerned that I got on the bike before the safety course but I couldn't let it sit in the garage for 2 months. After he saw me ride though he just grinned.

He did offer to let me use his Goldwing for my trip. How many mechanics do that? I refused. It's me and the Savage. Besides I can pick up my Savage myself. Can't do that with the Goldwing.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #28 - 05/29/08 at 06:24:33

WOW! ALittelBird, you don't get that kind of service anywhere!!!
What a rare find. Hope that guy stays in business til he's a 100.
Awesome find ALittelBird.
Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #29 - 05/29/08 at 14:57:32

He's 78 now and the son is 40. The older son was to take over the business but was unfortunately killed by a drunk driver.

I think Ed would like to quit but can't quite let go. Of course if someone offered him big bucks for the business he'd probably take it.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:20:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What would happen if I just leave it stock?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.