Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help!  I'm getting Dyna-sore! (Read 329 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Help!  I'm getting Dyna-sore!
05/25/08 at 18:21:51

I have read and re-re-re-read the muffler posts.  And I listened to the Savage Sounds.  I think the Dyna is a noise I could like and a price I could live with.  

A few things I'm confused about:  Is the "Dyna" a model of Harley?  Or is the Dyna a model of muffler?  It would be nice not to make a complete jackass of myself at the Harley dealer.  It's better to do that here.

I looked on Ebay and there are about 1000 different Dyna mufflers.  Am I correct that any of them will bolt right on the Savage, but that I want to make sure I get one without the crossover pipe?

I know all of this has been asked a hundred times.  But before you get too hacked at me, do a search on "muffler" or "dyna" and look at the hordes of data that appear.  It's too much for my pea brain to digest.

If I just stroll in there and tell them "I need a take-off from a Dyna of any year, shape, or color," am I going to walk out with a plug and play, clamp it on and ride muffler?

I really do hate asking, but I just ain't gettin' it. Embarrassed

« Last Edit: 05/25/08 at 19:42:34 by Sandy Koocanusa »  

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Re: Help!  I'm getting Dyna-sore!
Reply #1 - 05/25/08 at 22:43:29

"Dyna" is a model line of Harley motorcycles - big twin motor (currently 96 ci), and dual shocks and swing arm like our Savage.  I have a pair of Dyna mufflers off an '04 - one that I'm mounting on my Savage - the left over will be available once I'm done working on my bike.  Supposedly this is a bolt on deal - but I'm leaning toward having the local muffler shop weld everything up once I'm done.

You can mount Sportster mufflers on your Savage - but you have to close off the crossover port with a freeze plug - welded on - hence the advantage of using a Dyna - no crossover port to deal with.  So, be sure to either ask or order a "Dyna" muffler.  I will more than likely have my extra available by the end of June - working 7 days a week for the next 2 weeks - Ugh

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 05/26/08 at 06:29:23

Thanks, Redneck.  That clears up a few things for me.  I hope you're doing more than putting on a new muffler for it to take that long.  

I'll probably check around town and see if I can find one.  We are so far out of the loop that our local Pony Express riders still haven't gotten their pink slips in the mail, so shipping a muffler from Maryland will probably be pretty expensive.  

I looked at John Deere mufflers, but they're too big and far to ugly.  My bike wouldn't be able to hold its head up at the FSSNOC meet if I stuck one of those on.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/26/08 at 08:30:54

Dyna-glide and Sportsters actually have the same mufflers.  The crossover on some mufflers is dependant on the year of bike it comes off.  In most cases you won't know what it's coming off, so just look at it.  They are so easy to come by, I would never settle for one with a crossover.  The diiference is in the mounting.  Dyna's have a rail mount, Sportsters have a tab.  Either will work, mine is a tab.  I've read from others that rail type dyna's mount easier, but don't expect a direct bolt up.  Some fiddling and fitment will be required.  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/26/08 at 10:07:34

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/25/08 at 18:21:51:
I have read and re-re-re-read the muffler posts.  And I listened to the Savage Sounds.  I think the Dyna is a noise I could like and a price I could live with.  

A few things I'm confused about:  Is the "Dyna" a model of Harley?  Or is the Dyna a model of muffler?  It would be nice not to make a complete jackass of myself at the Harley dealer.  It's better to do that here.

I took this number off my Harley muffler:  HARFXD1450

I have this on my Savage.  It's bracket bolted to my Savage bracket without alteration.  The Savage head pipe did not slide all the way up to it's shoulder stop, into the neck of the Harley muffler.  It stopped about 5/16" from the shoulder stop.  I used the Harley clamp that came with the muffler.  With the Savage heat shield on, you can't see   the neck of the muffler.  It hasn't leaked nor come loose.
I looked on Ebay and there are about 1000 different Dyna mufflers.  Am I correct that any of them will bolt right on the Savage, but that I want to make sure I get one without the crossover pipe?

I know all of this has been asked a hundred times.  But before you get too hacked at me, do a search on "muffler" or "dyna" and look at the hordes of data that appear.  It's too much for my pea brain to digest.

If I just stroll in there and tell them "I need a take-off from a Dyna of any year, shape, or color," am I going to walk out with a plug and play, clamp it on and ride muffler?

I really do hate asking, but I just ain't gettin' it. Embarrassed

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/26/08 at 10:09:13

Sorry, I messed up posting the above message.  You have to read through it to see the part number and info.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #6 - 05/26/08 at 13:48:36

I just put a new Dyna on mine yesterday.
Part #65747
Fairly easy to install, and the one I bought off fleabay came with a clamp and photos of install with instructions.

I like the sound - not as loud as Jardine, but you can still intentionally backfire it for a cage-awaker.

Shown after install and before the heat shield was back on.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Scifi
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Providence Forge VA
Reply #7 - 05/26/08 at 14:10:40

Hey I just post a Dyna screamin eagle for sale its loud but if you are interested let me know

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 05/26/08 at 14:18:24

Thank you, lady and gentlemen.  Dyna it is.  I'm not going to bog myself down any longer trying to decide.  Just gonna march right in the shop and get one. Probably.  I think.
I'm such a putz.  I mentioned this dilemma to Kay, and she said "Oh, a Dyna Wide Glide blah, blah, blah with the optional teleporter blah, blah and the integrated anti-lock targeting system blah, blah."  She knows her Harley-speak way better than I.

Skatnbnc, I like the way that looks.  Lots less iron hanging off the bike.  You do nice work. Smiley

skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #9 - 05/26/08 at 14:32:49

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/26/08 at 14:18:24:
Thank you, lady and gentlemen.
Skatnbnc, I like the way that looks.  Lots less iron hanging off the bike.  You do nice work. Smiley

Yeah well, you missed the other posts I did asking for help with my falling-off old muffler.
I do nice work thanks to all the good advice I get off this forum!  Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 05/26/08 at 14:52:38

Actually, those were some that I read.  As I recall, the main theme of those was split between whether or not to weld, and the relative wisdom of using one's expensive boot toe as an impromptu metal-working tool.  Oh, and batting eyelashes, which I'm still not comfortable with as a means to achieve my goal when dealing with other men.  I guess I just haven't caught up with the times yet. Grin

Gort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/26/08 at 16:53:40

I wanted a little more roar out of my HD Dyna, so I took a 12' long 3/8" drill bit and place it in the end mouth of the muffler and drilled 3 holes in the baffle, at the 10, 1 and 6 o'clock positions, using an electric drill.  That was too loud, so I used lag bolts/screws on the end of a long extension with a ratchet, and screwed them into the 10 and 1 o'clock holes.  Leaving the 6 o'clock hole open allowed just enough extra noise to make it sound more hearty but not annoying.  If you want a little more of a throaty roar, I would try one hole at the 6 o'clock position.  You can always close it with a lag bolt if you don't like the extra roar.

IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #12 - 05/26/08 at 16:54:17

Raask pipe ,,i love it

1 piece 60mm diameter Smiley

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 05/26/08 at 18:03:34

Don't look now; but you are riding one. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #14 - 05/26/08 at 18:12:04

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/26/08 at 14:52:38:
Actually, those were some that I read.  As I recall, the main theme of those was split between whether or not to weld, and the relative wisdom of using one's expensive boot toe as an impromptu metal-working tool.  Oh, and batting eyelashes, which I'm still not comfortable with as a means to achieve my goal when dealing with other men.  I guess I just haven't caught up with the times yet. Grin

I may weld the new one, but will try the standard clamp for a while first. Using my boot was not good! Batting the eyelashes never seems to work for me...witness my experience in the HD stealership when I tried to buy the Dyna there.... Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:27:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help!  I'm getting Dyna-sore!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.