Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question on fuel delivery / gravity-wise speaking (Read 219 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Question on fuel delivery / gravity-wise speaking
05/24/08 at 21:22:49

I know this is a gravity feed system.  AND I know that fuel pumps exist for a reason.  What I won't know until someone tells me is:  Does the engine create enough vacuum to draw fuel from below the carb's level?  

I'm looking at my bike with more fuel capacity in mind.  The back seat and sissy bar area are pretty well filled up with luggage (yes I went out and "packed" the bike just to figure out how for my first over-night trip.)  At this time, I'm not ready to start modifying tanks from other bikes.  I do have ideas, some of which include tanks/bladders below carb level.

Failing that, does anyone know offhand about how much power those little electric fuel pumps draw?

I'm in the spitballing stage here, so any and all input, ideas, accounts of failed attempts are welcome.

To save some of you the frustration of REposting and wondering why I don't just read the forum, I have looked at the Tour Tank line and seen many of the "other brand" tanks some of you have adapted to the Savage.  Neither is a viable option for me right now.

Thanks,
Jason

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Question on fuel delivery / gravity-wise speak
Reply #1 - 05/25/08 at 00:22:25

In answer to your first question, no.  The engine requires gravity feed.

As for pumping the fuel into the carb, that would be a problem in engineering.  Fuel pumps vary widely in PSI and flow rate.  You would have to calculate what fuel pressure the carb bowl and it's gaskets could withstand, the effect the pump's PSI would have on the carb's needle and seat assy, and the flow rate requirements of the carb at maximum rpm.  You would have to have a selector valve that would allow you to choose the aux. tank or the stock tank, otherwise the fuel pump would transfer its fuel into the stock tank.

Someone else on this site added a gravity fed second tank to his Savage and posted a pic.  It looked to be about 1 gal. size, was shaped like a soup can and was mounted horizontally on his rear fender.  He was using it, so I assume it worked for him.

Another rider posted a pic of his Savage with a gas can affixed to his rear fender, which he used to manually fill his stock tank.  Remember, extra tanks hanging off the bike can burst into flames, splashing their contents all over you,  if struck during an accident.  Plus, have you noticed how the Savage tank is mounted on rubber bushings?  You have to be very careful when mounting extra tanks.  Do you really need the extra tank?  Maybe its better to play it safe and just stop more frequently at the gas station?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 05/25/08 at 06:10:18

Thanks for the reply Gort.  I figured the vacuum idea was a no go.  I hadn't thought about pressure regulation, etc. that you discussed, so you saved me a lot of goofing around with the pump idea as well.

However, to answer your final question:  There are a couple of places I'd like to go eventually where 2.7 gallons won't quite cut it.  When I went up to Glacier Park last week, I filled up at the last station available.  Then I tooled up through the mountains to the divide and back down.  As I recall, I had a little over 90 miles on the clock when I got back to the station.  I figured I still had a gallon of gas or so.  I filled up and put in 2.3.  I guess the mountains, the altitude, and the headwind all conspired against me.  

Locally, there are plenty of fuel points and I don't mind stopping.  But there are areas of Montana where that uneasy feeling will start to grow, and others where I certainly won't have enough fuel to get from point to point.  

I guess I'll have to figure out a way to strap a jerry can to the thing for longer hauls.  Thanks again.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/25/08 at 06:39:34

the bs carb is  vacume type to open the petcock we have no "off"for gas flow cept when the engine is off..do a search in tech section for aux. tanks others have installed there is a kit offered that mounts to luggage rack..this old butt looks forweard to a break every 100 miles..beatduck carried a gas can on his X country adventure..think paladin mapped his route to allow for gas stops on his run.. search these members posts for more info..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/25/08 at 20:31:10

I was just thinkin.......... that a vacuum/pressure diaphragm pump might work.  I have a yamaha gas golf cart and it has a fuel pump that works by crankcase pressure, the motion of the piston creates the crankcase vacuum/pressure and it pumps.  One of those could mount somewhere on the frame and keep the carb happy, could use some sort of tee in the fuel line, at the very least it could refill the main tank by backflowing.  all it would take to turn on and off would be a ball valve to stop the crankcase pressure.

Im gonna hafta ponder this one a while.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/25/08 at 20:47:51

Hauling a bit of gas in a real, no kidding, NEW, not some old, faded, brittle plastic gas container, would be easier than a solid mounted setup. You can dump it in the tank & go, no engineering required. It can be wrapped in a trash sack & put inside a slwwping bag, so it wont get smashed in a crash & you wont get hit with flaming gas. You can strap stuff across the bars/forks & all over the rear of the bike. Hiding a gallon container here & one there will give you another 90 to 100 miles, maybe more. Hassle? Yea, maybe, but engineering a gas tank into place is no one hour project either. Once the trip is done, you wont have a gas tank in the way & passengers will be in Bidniss again.
Just my opinion, it is worth every dime you paid for it ^& comes with a money back guarantee/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 05/25/08 at 21:08:28

Justin_o_guy2, I have come to the conclusion that you have come to the right conclusion.  I'm not going to spend the money for the name brand aux tanks, and I'm probably not clever enough to design and build one of my own.

I don't think carrying a gas can behind me can be any more dangerous than wrapping my legs around one at 70 mph.  So I spent a little time staring at the bike and scratching my head today.  The carpenter in me has an idea.  I'll have to remove the trunk tomorrow and give it a try.  If it works out, I'll let you know.  If it doesn't, I'll deny this conversation ever took place.

For balancing purposes, a gallon of gas weighs about 7 lbs, right?  It did when I was a kid, I think.  

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/26/08 at 14:03:14

I call it 8, its lighter than water, 8.3 ish, but not a lot, IIRC.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/26/08 at 17:16:32

Take a look at this... no metal to spark or heat up if hit, and if carried    loosely somewhere, might fly off and away from the bike in an accident.   And its dirt cheap.  Just a thought.

http://www.genuinehotrod.com/PartDetail.asp?PartId=5606

http://www.flatcan.co.uk/technical.html

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 05/26/08 at 17:35:35

I don't think thats make to carry gas ,just to have if you run out and have to walk or get a ride to a gas station.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #10 - 05/26/08 at 17:39:45

Gort I put one of those in my wifes van so If i do run out of gas she can bring me some.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/26/08 at 18:00:22

Dj12midnit wrote on 05/26/08 at 17:39:45:
Gort I put one of those in my wifes van so If i do run out of gas she can bring me some.

darn!  The most obvious answer is the one no one ever thinks of!  Sandy doesn't need a spare gas tank...he needs a cell phone so he can call his woman and instruct her to bring him some gas, and some take-out while she's at it!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #12 - 05/26/08 at 18:24:20

I cannot believe all you GUYS saw that fuel container and did not leap to the obvious...

Portable, lightweight AND multiple uses!!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #13 - 05/26/08 at 18:44:08

Arthur wrote on 05/26/08 at 18:00:22:
Dj12midnit wrote on 05/26/08 at 17:39:45:

darn!  The most obvious answer is the one no one ever thinks of!  Sandy doesn't need a spare gas tank...he needs a cell phone so he can call his woman and instruct her to bring him some gas, and some take-out while she's at it!

If I whined and begged, it might work.  Except for one problem.  The places I need to haul gas to don't have cell towers.  Believe it or not, there are still places where a cell phone won't work, and they are ALL in Montana.

I have a one gallon plastic can that I am going to contrive a hanger for.  I may have it written on my tombstone but I just don't see that as any more dangerous than the tank I'm sitting on.  I was going to hang it similarly to a saddlebag on the left side.  Then today, some complete badguy passed me, cut between Kay and I, and then tailgated her for about 5 miles. When I got a chance to pass him so I could back him off of her, he pulled out IN FRONT OF ME and passed her and the car in front of her.   Now I'm thinking about hanging it on the right, above the muffler, so I can just puncture it with a jackknife and spray burning fuel all over creeps like that.

I'm still a bit miffed, in case it doesn't show through my cherub-like demeanor.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/26/08 at 18:45:30

Hmmm, same color... does it run on that?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:09:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on fuel delivery / gravity-wise speaking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.