Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gulf Coast guys - help please (Read 98 times)
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Gulf Coast guys - help please
05/22/08 at 21:13:15

Hello,

I recently did the half-spacer mod and backed the mixture screw out 2.5 turns from fully closed.  A couple weeks ago I turned it in 1/4 turn, so it's backed out 2.25 turns.  It has been starting/running well.  The super-humid weather here in Houston finally hit this week, and it seems like the bike is harder to start and needs almost no choke.  I feel like I need to blip the throttle to get it going (which we're not supposed to do).  The last 2 rides, I've been stalling out at stoplights before the engine is warm.  The choke is sensitive.  When it's warm, it behaves like normal.  It's got 4200 miles, and I can't see why the plug would be bad.  Plus, when it warms up, it runs like a champ.  It's got the stock jet, and I have no plans to mess with the jet right now.  For those at sea level and high humidity, what do you think the proper mixture screw setting is w/stock jet and 1/2 spacer?  Since the air is so dense, maybe I need to back it out again to 2.5 (or more)??  I never stalled out at a light before I messed with the factory settings.  Oh, and the idle is SLOW before it warms up, so slow that it stalls like I said.  It used to be that the middle choke click made for a fast warm-up idle.  Maybe tweaking that thumb idle screw is what I need.  I'm curious as to how the increased heat/humidity affects this whole equation.  Thanks!

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Kustomjim

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Gulf Coast guys - help please
Reply #1 - 05/22/08 at 21:23:33

Basically,in my humble opinion,The savage carb is a HUGE P.O.S. emissions laden waste..... It is like riding a horse,it's a different pony EVERY DAY!! I have wasted plenty of $$$$hour fahrt-ing with them!! And what works with one persons carb doesn't mean it will work perfectly for yours..... Free advice... .38mm Mikuni  ... circa '75,76 . Try and believe... K.J.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/22/08 at 21:42:54

what part of houston are you in ?

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #3 - 05/22/08 at 21:46:55

Southwest - Fort Bend County.  Yourself??

Jim, I suppose I could consider swapping out the carb.  But, I don't want to overreact.  I think I can tune this one.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 05/22/08 at 21:51:16

99@I-10

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 05/22/08 at 21:53:56

you have the stock exhaust on it ?

I didn't answer the question - on the '95 - stock air intake 152.5 main w/a jardine pipe - it's pretty close to 2 out just a tad less - started at 1 1/2 and worked it up in very small steps

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #6 - 05/22/08 at 22:11:32

Yes, stock.  I am considering the Dyna Muffler at some point.  I'm sure you'll tell me to rejet.  For now, I hope to get your advice on the mixture setting for the stock exhaust/stock jet.  The reason I'm resisting new jets is that I just finished messing with the carb and don't feel inclined to take it off and disassemble at the moment.  I'm sure I'll give in eventually.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 05/22/08 at 22:14:55

naw don't need to pull it to rejet - have the screws been out of the bowl before?

even with the stockpipe a 147.5 would make it much happier - got one you can have if you want it

I'd sure think less than 2 out - and idle it up until the head light does not dim

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #8 - 05/22/08 at 22:18:43

Cool; I think I need to talk to you or e-mail to sort this out.  The headlight dimming thing interests me.  Do you use the PM feature here?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 05/22/08 at 22:25:00

yes

IP Logged