Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leatherlyke (hard) Saddlebags (Read 313 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Leatherlyke (hard) Saddlebags
05/21/08 at 21:25:39

Dates link to Blog Entries at Paladin Roaming:

I got my '00 Savage on Aug. 15th, 2004.  Didn't do the MSF course and DMV until Oct.14th.   My birthday is Nov. 18th and Wendy got me the Leatherlyke Saddlebags I had strongly hinted at.  $430, but they are hard sided and lockable which is pretty much required if you wish to keep things in them in Los Angeles.  If you want to run bagless it takes seven seconds to remove a bag, thirteen seconds to remount:  VIDEO

Riding in the rain you do not want to cross diaganal railroad tracks too slowly -- they'll slide your front tire sideways and toss you to the ground.  You'll bend a footpeg and place a barely noticible scratch on your saddlebag.  Bag actually supported the back end of the bike!  Tough material.

Three and a half years later the bags look and work nearly like new.  The locks are a bit worn, they weren't the best to start and I've been meaning to replace them with locks that take the round type of key.  I have definitely got my money's worth out of them.

However, I recieved an IM:
Keith_T wrote on 05/21/08 at 09:02:27:
...I found a thread on a Valkrye forum that talked about how the Leatherlyke's rest on the shock and how this could be bad for the shock.  I think you've had your bags installed for a number of years.  Have you had any issues with the shocks?...
 I haven't had any issues with the shocks -- but after three and a half years there are rub spots on the shocks.
This is strictly cosmetic.  I cannot see how a little rubbing would affect the operation of the spring/shocks.

« Last Edit: 03/02/11 at 15:09:31 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Re: Leatherlyke (hard) Saddlebags
Reply #1 - 05/22/08 at 05:28:30

Here's the link that talked about this being a potential problem.

http://www.horseapple.com/Valkyrie/Tech_Tips/LeatherLyke_Shock_Protector/leat...

I had Leatherlykes on a prior bike and in 7000 miles I never noticed a problem, but I didn't have Progressive brand shocks on that bike.  

Quote:
Progressive says saddlebags (or anything) resting against the shocks is a NO NO. Puts a lateral torque on the shock that they were not designed for and will likely cause early failure. LeatherLyke saddlebags rest directly on the side of the middle of the shocks with several pounds of pressure if they are fully loaded.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Leatherlyke (hard) Saddlebags
Reply #2 - 05/22/08 at 06:30:45

Well there you go -- maybe on the Valk the bags rub the middle of the shock.  On the Savage you can see that it rests on the bottom of the shock, not the middle, and thus will not be applying damaging lateral torque that might affect a Valk.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:22:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leatherlyke (hard) Saddlebags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.