Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Newbie Question (Read 177 times)
Rkems
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

IL
Another Newbie Question
05/20/08 at 07:25:10

Hi all,

I have an 07 S40 with about 4000 miles now. Completely stock. I know rejetting carb & replacing exhaust, and similar mods can improve bike performance, but I'm fairly happy with the way the bike runs already. Are there any other disadvantages to simply leaving it stock? (shorter engine lifespan, etc.?)

Thanks!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Another Newbie Question
Reply #1 - 05/20/08 at 07:45:06

About the only disadvantages I can think of are:

1) She's very lean when stock and that means running hotter.

2) You might consider a verslavy (or similarly modded) camchain tensioner for peace of mind to prevent catastrophic separation.

Note: Comfort and handling can be improved with simple upgrades to the shocks and seat and the addition of a fork brace.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 05/20/08 at 07:57:30

Disadvantages.... hmmmmm

The Lean condition that Suzuki has the bike adjusted to meet the EPA standards for "off the factory floor" requirements will cause the engine to run warmer.   You most likely will get a discoloration of the exhaust pipe so it will not look as nice.

You will also have to be more vigilant on monitoring your oil because it helps dissipate the heat and will have a slightly shorter life with the heat.  

Some will argue the a properly tuned carb will be more efficient thus giving even better fuel economy.   Counter argument is "What is properly tuned?"....  

I've been told that the EPA "Lean" is good for "off the factory floor", but it will cause other types of pollutants due to the heat reacting with the other chemicals in the fuel which isn't part if the EPA tests.  Also, I've been told that it will cause to bike to change in a few years of riding to be more polluting (not sure why...maybe the heat causing parts to wear faster ???).  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 05/20/08 at 08:44:32

If you want to see what running lean will do to your header pipe take a look at this:  
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=89381&adid=6978408

And from a bike dealer no less.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/20/08 at 10:04:04

I'm not a metallurgist nor an engineer but in my mind increased heat translates to reduced engine lifespan - especially in hotter climates.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 05/20/08 at 10:09:47

Savage_Rob wrote on 05/20/08 at 10:04:04:
I'm not a metallurgist nor an engineer but in my mind increased heat translates to reduced engine lifespan - especially in hotter climates.

Agreed....and in summer rush hour stop & go traffic.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #6 - 05/20/08 at 10:16:18

Yep those high temps are murder on your exhaust valves and exhaust valve seats. Ideally the exhaust temp should be in the 1200 degree range, stock they look like they run in the 1500 to 1600 degree range. Mine header(down)pipe still looks like new with 6500 miles on. Did carb mods right after I got it. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/20/08 at 10:30:36

Rkems wrote on 05/20/08 at 07:25:10:
Are there any other disadvantages to simply leaving it stock? (shorter engine lifespan, etc.?)

How about safety?
You are nearly invisible out there.  If they can not see you, or hear you, then they will touche you.  And that is to be avoided at all cost.

You don't need pipes that rattle the windows for miles around, but do get one that any cager can hear over their cell phone, while they're shaving and slurping a latte.  And get a decent horn, post the stock one on fleabay and get an airhorn that will rattle windows for miles around.  My rear brake squeals like a banchee, I've decided that I'm leaving it that way.  When I brake I want people to know that I'm braking and if it makes all their hair stand on end so much the better.   Shocked

BTW, I am an engineer, heat degrades life by an order of magnitude.  Lean air/fuel mixture means hotter exhaust gases.  Everything in contact with those gases are hotter.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/20/08 at 10:46:59

leave it stock and you could end up like my savage.
19,000 miles and one exhaust valve stem failed and snapped in half. Angry
Most definitely due to running too lean / so too hot, (aggravated by an aftermarket exhaust that was fitted before I bought the bike).

My replacement engine will have new exhaust valves fitted and run a 155 main jet, plus the idle screw is coming out a turn or two.  Cool

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 05/20/08 at 14:22:48

Just a rejet will help cooling dramatically.If it's good enough for aircraft it should be good for the Savage.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #10 - 05/21/08 at 05:36:43

how would one acquire necessary parts to rejet stock carb on his own...   new screws, because i know they are going to gum up on me... larger main and possibly larger idle

'07 s40, White spacer removed, Jardine muffler, iron cross mirrors, Ed-L +4" controls, under seat bags- only on for trips, and 1 happy nut in the seat!
  IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #11 - 05/21/08 at 06:31:52

Logically, it would seem that riding speed should factor into the equation... faster = hotter engine temperature. From the research I have done, mileage suffers significantly as speeds increase (at least in cars). So, if more fuel is being burned per mile, the hotter the engine will also be. I have over 1000 miles on my 07 and pipes look good.

IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/21/08 at 09:13:50

Jomiyo
if you go to http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm

you can get all the parts for LS650 Savage.
I live in the UK and even though they are in USA I have bought quite a few parts from them myself.

If you want the bigger jets, as in 1986 to 88 model just browse to 1988 lS650 and it has the jets (and all other carb parts listed), later models list the 130 and 145 main jets.

I think the later models had a different slide, needle jet and needle as well as the main jet?
But if you just fit a bigger main jet and pilot jet then you will get a cooler running engine with a better idle and better mid range.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 08:22:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Newbie Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.