Send Topic Print
So I bought it! (Read 216 times)
Fasst
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

So I bought it!
05/19/08 at 08:17:32

I am new here. I started a thread recently about an '03 Savage I was looking at. Well, I ended up buying it for $1300. I have been riding around the neighborhood some refamiliarizing myself with a bike. She runs good and rides good so far. I wish I could hear a newer one run (mine has quite a few miles) It seems like I hear a tapping on the left side of the motor, but it could be something simple or nothing at all. In time I will ck the cam adjuster out, and have the shop adjust the valves. I plan on doing an oil and filter change soon. Looking forward to learning more about this bike and riding in general!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: So I bought it!
Reply #1 - 05/19/08 at 09:01:07

If you're hearing tapping on the left, got a high mileage bike, I'd open up the clutch cover right away and let the gremlin out!  Before he gets a chance to really booger things up.

No sir, wouldn't ride another inch.  get yourself a clutch cover gasket and getRdone.  (nope, nada, wouldn't even turn her over, new engine will cost you 400 kind of sweat)   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Fasst
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/19/08 at 10:06:48

verslagen1 wrote on 05/19/08 at 09:01:07:
If you're hearing tapping on the left, got a high mileage bike, I'd open up the clutch cover right away and let the gremlin out!  Before he gets a chance to really booger things up.

No sir, wouldn't ride another inch.  get yourself a clutch cover gasket and getRdone.  (nope, nada, wouldn't even turn her over, new engine will cost you 400 kind of sweat)   Shocked

Have a Tech link or can you give me ore detail what I should look for?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 05/19/08 at 10:15:49

Go to the bottom of the screen to the "Forum Jump" drop down menu (it will show Rubber Side Down), click on tech referance, then click on table of contents thread.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Fasst
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/19/08 at 10:19:55

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 05/19/08 at 10:15:49:
Go to the bottom of the screen to the "Forum Jump" drop down menu (it will show Rubber Side Down), click on tech referance, then click on table of contents thread.

OK....went there. I swear I am not stupid! I can find can chain adj. articles, but nothing on clutch inspection. Am I misunderstanding what I should be doing or am I looking for the wrong thing?

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #5 - 05/19/08 at 10:26:55

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Fasst
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/19/08 at 10:50:45

Gary On A Savage wrote on 05/19/08 at 10:26:55:

OK. I read that one. My noise is on the left side and for some reason I assumed the chain adj. was on the right......and someome mentioned the clutch.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 05/19/08 at 10:52:20

tapping in the left side..... high on the left side or low on the left side????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Fasst
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/19/08 at 10:56:18

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 05/19/08 at 10:52:20:

Hard to say with that loud azz exhaust, but if I had to guess I would say it sounds lower....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/19/08 at 11:00:16

I'd use a stethoscope, well, screwdriver, tip against engine, handle on bone in front of ear & then in the ear, too. Top left on the engine, to see if the valves are claching a bit. Then, on the right side, too. See if you can hear clicking. Whirring is normal, because the cam chain slides on the guides. After you've listened, I would still open & look. This will allow you to gain the experience of having heard the sounds & seen the mechanical parts that make those sounds. IF the noises arent good & you open & see it in need of maintenance, then, you know what it sounds like when its time for work. If it sounds okay & looks okay, then later, if it starts sounding different, then its time to look again. Likely time for a cam chain. Dont pay someone else. Buy the tools, get thew book & we will talk you thru. WE? Yes, I just volunteered these others to help you, too. If you pay for the maintenance this bike needs, you will spend more than the bikes worth in a few years AND, your riding season will be spent with your bike sitting in line, waiting to be worked on. Most of the tools needed can be "El Cheapo" tools. My allen wrenches are from Harbor Freight, never stripped any. The cheap torque wrench from Sears is doing me fine. Looking at the torque specs, the bolts are to be torqued to any number of foot pounds, between 7 & 12( I think thats the range for the header studs) & looking at the manual, I noticed the range was wide on all the stuff I expect to ever touch, so an inexpensive torque wrench should do it. If you arent very strong, then for just a few bucks, an impact wrench, I have 1/2 inch & 3/8ths, a cheap compressor, just a small one to use to break nuts loose, will make it easier on you. I was able to reinstall the clutchpack without a backup holding the engine because the impact would run the nut home before the engine would spin. Must have worked, that was about 4,000 miles ago. All in all, this is a crude little bike, simple & forgiveing. Dont be afraid, wade on in. I was skeert, even tho I have a good mechanical background, but these folks talked me thru & just paying the labor on the cam chain would have cost me more than the price of the compressor & torque wrench.( I think, anyway)

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/19/08 at 11:34:51

Fasst wrote on 05/19/08 at 10:56:18:
T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 05/19/08 at 10:52:20:

Hard to say with that loud azz exhaust, but if I had to guess I would say it sounds lower....

oops   Embarrassed  you did say left side and cam chain adj is on the right.   Grin

Did I ever tell you what I would check if I bought a high mileage bike?  Why I would check the condition of the cam chain adjuster of course   Grin  Knowing the state of this little bugger will tell you a lot about how the bike was maintained.  And if you noise on the left, I look at that side too.  Starter gears are there.  On 4 speeds there are issues with the starter gears.  Any odd noises during startup?

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/19/08 at 12:30:14

before i changed out my cam chain tensioner for the verslavy i'd get an intermittent "click/tap" that sounded like it was on the left side. After putting the verslavy in its gone.

IP Logged
Fasst
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/19/08 at 19:21:11

Burn....what would cause the noise on the left side, that would go away when replacing the cam chain adj.?

Also, it is an 02 so it is a 5 speed. I have pressed my left foot on everything I can to see if the noise goes away and it doesn't. If I pull the left cover off, what will be inside?  Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/19/08 at 20:44:40

He just heard the noise on the left side.  It was recommended that he open both covers I think and found the cam chain tensioner was about to come undone.  Tapping the case each time it wobbled.  When you are listening to a caucauffeny, it doesn't matter where the clarinets sit.

left cover is generator and starter gears.

and right side is clutch and cam chain.

WWW   IP Logged
Fasst
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/20/08 at 05:14:36

Thanks y'all! I will try to make some time to pull the right cover and take a peak. I will go buy a gasket and filter, and ask if they have the tensioner in stock.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:27:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So I bought it!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.