Send Topic Print
Top end Tapping? (Read 86 times)
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Top end Tapping?
05/19/08 at 05:55:35

I know I have read about this before, but I have a nice little tappin in the top end. Sounds like its the valve guides. Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting this fixed? I would apreciate it!

That Guy!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Top end Tapping?
Reply #1 - 05/19/08 at 10:50:42

Valve guides.....   are you burning oil??????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/19/08 at 11:15:58

You will need, if not now, then someday, an offset flatblade( 2 screwdrivers on one bent rod, with one tip lined up with the rod, the other, across it, all I could find was phillips one end, flat on the other. I turned the phillips into flat with a grinder) a set of feeler gauges, a drop tipped 10 MM box end, to clear the head & get down to the adjuster nut. set the valves while the engine is cold. You can pay someone to do this & see how easy it is. I did & was unhappy with myself for not doing it myself the first time. WAY too easy to be forking over real money for someone else to do it. It takes me a lot longer than it took the other guy, BUT, I work to get them set as tight as I can without getting them too tight. If I am gonne spend the $$ for a good cam, I am gonna set the valves to get as much of the lift I can get.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #3 - 05/19/08 at 19:53:21

I will have to try this!

Oh and its not burning oil! Just leaking it!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:34:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top end Tapping?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.